Rent prices for expats are they the same for locals?

Hi,
I am moving to Cairo in two weeks time and I seem a bit confused as to what the average rent price is for a one or two bed flat in Cairo.
Whilst i was in Cairo recently i was speakig to someone who said that he paid 600 le a month for a flat in Giza because it did not have a balcony. But, when I search on google for property rentals in cairo the cheapest I can find is 2500 le.
So where does one find cheaper accomodation aimed at locals?

In Mohandsen or Zamalek a good flat with 2 - 3 rooms should be  around 2000LE+, You can get cheaper one but depends on the place and your lifestyle :)

yes it is depend on the place and the level which you will rent the falt
if you need help just ask and i will try do my best

hey gingerqueen, Im an expat as well and living in Maadi in-front of Nile kornich , unfortunately this is a fact that when local sees a foreign interested renting their place they simple invert the currency from L.E to USD, this is what happened with me... initially the guy quoted 1200 L.E to my friend and later when he get to know that a foreign is going to stay he simply made it 1200$ . I would highly recommend that if you have a friend ask  him/her to get the rent contract by his/her name. This way you can play the trick with the local to avoid high prices.. This trick really worked for me

gingerqueen,

If your partner/husband is Egyptian, let him deal with the flat and the rental contract. Locals will overcharge you if they know you are a foreigner, fact.

When it comes to prices there is a 2-tier system here: one for Egyptians (in LE) and the other for foreigners (in USD). It's not fair but that is how it is here.

GQ!

Unfortunatly, Expats will pay way more than locals in EVERYTHING.

- hotel rates
- appartments
- etc

Zamalek is prime property area and you will be paying between 2000-5000$ it depends on the size and location of the apartment.

Maadi is an area swarming with expats so you can expect the same prices.

Heliopolis may be a bit cheeper.

If you are working for a School or a company they should give you housing allowace.

Yes you will pay more.  We need to accept this and never take our salaries for granted.  You NEED to be paid much more than locals as you will be ripped off everywhere you turn. 

You need to look around before making a commitment.  Have you been to Giza?  How do you know you want to live there?

There are some pretty ropey areas and buildings in Cairo.

Your employer should be the one to help you with accommodation.  They should have some reliable contacts. 

Hope you find something nice!

OHHHHH!!!  renting a flat in Cairo, it s a real adventure!
You can t find a good flat under 2 500LE, and what could be for the broker " amazing flat" for you could be really awful!
Another thing I would like to say! Here it s a very phony rule: if you stay more than 1 year in the same flat, instead the rent to be cheaper, they increase it. The law says with 10 %, but my last owner agreed the same rent of the beginning, for extension of the contract, after that he changed his mind, wanting 25 % more.
And how could you pay more if he didn t invest anything in the flat, furniture and all things inside are older, but doesn t matter this, they want more money!
Do you think it s correct?

a german friend of mine is living in maadi on her own, and her room mate just moved back to germany.... send me a message and il hook you up. they pay around 3500 as a total and its in a really nice area in maadi..

It depends if she agrees to live on her own or to share a flat!
Sharing is sometime worse than a marriage. Personally, I prefer to live on my own!
Still I try to find a cheaper one, in a good area, near metro station in Maadi, Downtown, or Dokki!
if anybody knows something, just let me to know!
Thanks!

hey Valiblic...

if you dont mind sharing a place with a 23 year old, drop me a message and il hook you up with my friend...shes in maadi near volume1

Already I wrote that I prefer to live on my own!

Sharing a Flat with another person is really a nightmare which I can only say "Stay away". It does not matter which religion or culture or etc. it is it always comes to a point where 1 uses others whatever and then problems are getting bigger and bigger. For the first 1-2 month it will be good but after it will definitely get worst and worst.

valibilic wrote:

You can t find a good flat under 2 500LE, and what could be for the broker " amazing flat" for you could be really awful!
Another thing I would like to say! Here it s a very phony rule: if you stay more than 1 year in the same flat, instead the rent to be cheaper, they increase it. The law says with 10 %, but my last owner agreed the same rent of the beginning, for extension of the contract, after that he changed his mind, wanting 25 % more.
And how could you pay more if he didn t invest anything in the flat, furniture and all things inside are older, but doesn t matter this, they want more money!

That is so true...I had never thought about it that way! The rent SHOULD get cheaper! I've always been told it's to deal with inflation, etc. But prices aren't skyrocketing by 10-25 %, why should rent!

you can find decent people to rent from,Our family just rented a small flat in Maadi to a person for a three year term with a five percent increase each year. And yes the flats/apartments are being rented under whats referred to as the new law and it allows for the increase in price each year.

the was done to protect the landlord rights to fair rental prices as many rents fall under the old law which resulted in life long contracts which could not be broken at will or easily.with the rates being fixed for the long term.with survivor rights being passed on to the male children and in some case the occupant of the flat or apartment could claim ownership due to the total accumulated payments over time.

our family has one which falls under the old rent concept and cost about thirty le a month.I would be very upset if i owned this property and was forced to take this amount of payment.

I rented a walk up place for a small office operation, near the usaid office in Maadi it was rather cheap and was freshly finished. flats at fair prices can be found but it requires some time and effort.

And yes I agree with the other comments made above.

Shorouk wrote:

flats at fair prices can be found but it requires some time and effort.

Maybe it is true, but not for foreigners!
If you want to rent a flat, you could find some " helpers" but they want money like a real estate agency.
If you want to find by yourself, ok! let s do it, but also, you must ask somebody if in the building it is a flat for renting, or something like this, and they pretend they don t know, or simply, they fix a price for their help!
if you ask an agency, you need around 3 rent payments: 1 for rent, one for deposit and another one for the agency. Sometimes a huge sum, considering the rent could be more than 3000 LE.
And when you say " God! finally inside!" a nightmare starts : the doorman knock at your door every day asking all type of things" sahraeea, kahraba, zibella, maaya.....! Yes, it is nice that they " guard" you but better saying they spy you how many bags with shopping you carry. And so, soon is one year living there, and the owner ask you to pay more, and..... Ohhhhh!  Cairo!

It's very upsetting how foriegners are treated while finding a proper flat here. We pay more than 1000USD/month (My husband would know the accurate amount) for a furnished flat in Rehab City and the landlady never cares for upgrading it over our repeated request :(

One thing that I've really learnt is to not hope for their 'tomorrow'.

Hyboin wrote:

It's very upsetting how foriegners are treated while finding a proper flat here. We pay more than 1000USD/month (My husband would know the accurate amount) for a furnished flat in Rehab City and the landlady never cares for upgrading it over our repeated request :(

One thing that I've really learnt is to not hope for their 'tomorrow'.

It's true. We also pay too much expensive. Fortunately, company pays. But still, it is something annoying especially after later on we found that the owner didn't pay the water for 2 years, electricity for 1 year and the complex service for 3 years ! Things also should be repaired and cleaned by ourselves. Now we know how much approximately the price but moving is also tiring. So we just try to enjoy.

indobe wrote:

especially after later on we found that the owner didn't pay the water for 2 years, electricity for 1 year and the complex service for 3 years !

Our previous land lady while we were evacuating took 1000LE for water bill.. for the only 3 months we were in that house. And in our current house the combined bill ov two years is 300LE!:mad:

Indeed, finding a nice apartment at a decent price is difficult. And there are not many clean area options either, especially in center Cairo.
It is frustrating to find an apartment for 1700 USD/month and see that all bedroom windows face a dusty wall. Or that all the appliances inside are "new" (read: not much used in the last 20 years). And the carpets are so grey.... and so on.
I agree that if one looks long enough (which most people don't have time/nerves), it is possible to find a good combination of money and comfort...

Good luck!

Hyboin wrote:
indobe wrote:

especially after later on we found that the owner didn't pay the water for 2 years, electricity for 1 year and the complex service for 3 years !

Our previous land lady while we were evacuating took 1000LE for water bill.. for the only 3 months we were in that house. And in our current house the combined bill ov two years is 300LE!:mad:

we pay around that number (300) for our villa each year with six of us living there.

Not to be a broken record, but yeah, have an Egyptian friend negotiate the deal for you.  However, if you are a single female, it can be hard to find a place for 'liability reasons' ie, they're afraid you will have men over all the time.  Some folks recommend doing a share while you are getting your feet wet here.

Ladylav wrote:

if you are a single female..., they're afraid you will have men over all the time.  Some folks recommend doing a share while you are getting your feet wet here.

:unsure:unsure:P Very phony reason!
I think they are afraid because this is in their brain( their education), and they want to be the first subscribers!:dumbom:
Ohhhhhh, Egypt and Egyptians!

valibilic wrote:

hey it s an individual case don t estimate the market in Egypt based on one case
I have a flat in manial and yes it s not less than 2500 egy pounds
u can contact me direct on 0123674349

get an Egyptian room mate .. and let him/ her do the talk for you :) .

I can say that it's not true what most expats say about renting flat for an expat.yes some locals make use of the dollar and EGP differences,but doesn't mean it is the case wherever and with every local.Personally i know some people here who rents their flats for expats and it's just for reasonable prices,me my self sometimes do rent my flat and i just deal with EGP in a reasonable manner.Anyone who needs a flat should ask more than once,know the prices,find alternatives,select.Not to just find one flat and accept what u listen to whatever it was and that's it!