Where should I live in Cairo?

I've accepted a job in Cairo and they have given me the option to live in Maadi, Zamelek, Rehab or Heliopolis. Disregarding the commute time it would take me to get home from work.... what would you recommend for a young female teacher? Safety? Cost? Social?

I've looked through all the older posts but haven't read much of a comparison except for Maadi and Zamelek so I need some help :)

-Emily

The 3 places are high cost & safety , it depending about your work location.
Rehab also safety but it far from midtown.

Emily you are the only one who can answer this question depending on..

1) where is your School / work?
2) How much do you like to pay for rent & transportation?
3) Do you like to move a lot using Taxi or do you prefer Metro.

In General.. It is much better to live near your school / job to save time of transportation.

I wouldn't Recommend Rehanb unless your work place is there then it would be a must to live in Rehab or Heliopolis.

- Zamalek & Maadi (Specially Degla & New Maadi) are so classy areas and you would find many embassies there, it is safe area and first choices for the expats beside many cafes & available outing places suitable for all tastes.

Pros & Cons:

A- Maadi :

1) Metro Service & Taxi still an option.
2) green areas
3) Remote area from Cairo
4) first choice for Expats
5) CSA is there "Community Social Association special for Expats & foreigners"
6) only 1 hour far by metro from most Cairo districts.
7) many supermarkets & hypermarkets around offering imported goods
8) after 6-10 months living in Maadi many expats find it boring if they didn't get involved in any activities - even there is a post on this blog called : getting lost in Maadi

B-Zamalek:

1) you would depend on Taxi in your transportation.
2) 10-15 min far from downtown.
3) many restaurants & cafes suits all needs and most of them are so close to each other.
4) Zamalek is an island in the river Nile that somehow have a  special taste & atmosphere.. so quite from outside look but life full from inside all the day..
5) you can consider yourself in the good heart of Cairo as location is one of the best.
6) Lack the good store variates found in Maadi.
7) uper class & high class level

C-Heliopolis

1) you would depend on Taxi in your transportation.
2) 45 min far from downtown.
3) good places are not so close - it is disturbed all around the district.
4) The most crowded between the 4 options
5) mix between low class, medium class & high class as it is surrounded by many local districts so it is not isolated at all.

D-Rehab

1- You would depend on Taxi (most people there have cars so even taxi there would take time till you find one) or Rehab public bus service

2- Very remote from Cairo so you would feel isolated from the rest of Cairo - at least 50 min up to 2 hours depending on traffic to reach Zamalek for example

3- Only If your school is in Rehab... Rehab would be the first option also Heliopolis would be good but it is still 30 minute far from Rehab.

I wish you would find this post helpful and if you need any further clarification or inquiries never hesitate to drop me a line any time ;

Cheer,
Miro

The same answer applies as on the other forum - the closer you live to your point of work the better.
You really don't want to spend all your free time in the cairo traffic - it is a bloody awful experience and one that you don't want to repeat 5 days a week for hours on end.

maadi of course

Maadi is the preferred place for expats and u would feel home surrounded with a lot of expats in the area

Then why do so many of these expats in Maadi post  that they have no friends and are very lonely in Maadi - if it is so fantastic and the expats are so friendly!?

Again the only piece of advise is live close to work work (not next door) but not the other side of Cairo.)

Well that's true and it's pretty obvious when it comes to logic as the traffic is miserable.

it depends on where is your work ?

Either Zamalek or Maadi, or if you want a far calm area, you can choose Madinaty.

Good luck.

I think you can enjoy a health life stile in Rehab. I have to visit friends regullarly there. Me living in Heliopolis, but recommend Rehab safety, clean and and calm.
It is better to have a tour there by your self.
For any help avilable, reach us.
Good luck.
Dr. IMIG

I recommend you Zamalek & Maadi, it's very nice area to live & safe, i recommend to choose wt is closer to your work

Dear
As most of replies is to choose the location near to your work that is very true , if your school in Zamalek or near by make it your first choice , if your school is in New Cairo so Maadi and rehab or also new New cairo is the best choices
New Cairo or Rehab better flats and new and clean and better to have your own car and you can use taxi

- Maadi older houses but very good community and you can walk feeling free and close to all services.

and if that was your choice I can help you to find your flat there
wish you best times here in cairo

Hi Headhunting2,

Welcome on the Forum :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Maadi is the best. ....first choice. ...choose place near street nine

Hi Emily,

I would say Maadi is your best bet. Like everyone else has said there are loads of expats and a good social scene. You can also use the metro easily too. Is your work paying for accom?? Sometimes it is quite pricey in Maadi, but if you have a good allowance or share with someone it will be fine.

I live in Rehab and as a young expat I can say there are much better areas :) I guess your work is in New Cairo? If so, Maadi would have a doable commute time.

Hope this helps you a bit.
Ayns

u already created one ,  i know a site but i don't know if i can mention it in a post according to the forum terms

Cairo is big city and all expats living in down town areas such as Zamalek where u will find only apartments or flat not private house with garden such as new compounds which only U could find at West of Cairo such as Cairo Alex Road, 6 October City  or they live at the east of Cairo at New Cairo, Qattamia , Rehab City and it has many secure and gated compound and divided to three levels a,b and c according to the budget u are willing to pay , let me know if U need more information .

Hi...

Check this site ... or call them in direct for more help .

egyptmaadiexpats.com

Good Luck

zamalk is good place

Hi Emely.   I am the owner of an elegant flat in rehab city .It is furnished with modern furniture and all room contain air-condition .It is very safe place with lot of expat .the flat with two bedrooms ,two bathrooms, and 3 receptions. I am happy to tell u that it is now occupied by an american english teacher family for long term but i think their contract will end in july so if they didn't renew the flat will be empty . But first where your school is ? If you are interested I can send you picture of the flat and you can speak to your native in the flat to tell you every thing .send me if you are interested.

Zamalek of course :)

I recently came back to Egypt... I used to Live in Maadi and now live in Rehab... and Rehab is hands down the best all around place... extremely safe, pretty decent xpat community, virtually every service and shopping need is a stone's throw away. Problem is it is a bit far off from pretty much everything. So it will all come down to where your job is.

I agree with Adham,
I live there in Rehab.

Rehab city Is very safe And elegant place with all services exists, and regards to distance from other places and down town, there are rehab buses serving 2 lines to Nasr city and metro line.

Enjoy your life