IMPORTANT NEW CHANGES FOR THOSE APPLYING FOR PERMANENT VISAS

WITH COVID-19 Pandemic, I would imagine some of this information has changed? Could someone point me in the right direction:

a "simple" question would be, if I am staying here in Brasil as a tourist w a pending job offer, after 90 days, can I go to neighboring country (preferably Colombia or Argentina) and return w/out returning all the way to USA?? If so, how long would I have to stay in a third country ?  1 day, 1 week, 1 month, longer ?? Does anyone know... or even know where I might go to find out ... perhaps brazilian consulate sites?? Thanks,

"Green" Gringo Ex-Pat wannabe

if your 90 days hasnt exspired go to the Policia Federal and apply for an extension to your visa.  They usually give it to you if there is no issues with you.

Fred,
Even without the land borders being closed in brazil and AR and Columbia borders closed, you can leave brazil and return in 180 days.
In order to work in Brazil, you would need a business sponsor that obtained approval from the Gov to hire you. Then you need a work visa.
The AR border is closed. You cannot enter from Columbia even via air. PF is working emergency only (exception may be airports)
Consulate site may not help since 2017 it issues visas, not enforce them. MJ/PF has the final say. Try the PF site.

Thanks, TexanBrazil !! worst case scenario ? I overstay my 90 day limit... I just pay a fee/fine ?? or risk being deported ?

Thanks, Waljah! Very helpful! :D

If you overstay the fines are huge now, and that alone can cause you some uneccesary delays.  Apply for visa extension.

Valeu!

Hi All, we are expecting our baby to be born in Brazil soon. After the birth, we will apply for permanent residency. Do we need to show our marriage certificate during the process? Our passport does show our parent's names and each other's spouse's names. Please share your experiences, will be a great help. Thnx in advance..

arman737ng wrote:

Hi All, we are expecting our baby to be born in Brazil soon. After the birth, we will apply for permanent residency. Do we need to show our marriage certificate during the process? Our passport does show our parent's names and each other's spouse's names. Please share your experiences, will be a great help. Thnx in advance..

Probably not, as long as your passports show the names of each person's parents, and your child's birth certificate shows both of your names, as they appear on your passports.

The Federal Police have wide latitude in requesting documents.  But if your documents include all of the required information and the information matches, chances are that they'll be satisfied.

When I applied for permit residency they wanted a copy of all my pages in my passport. Copy of my marriage to my Brazilian wife. Not sure if you will have to supply a criminal record report. Two photos one for the temporary visa it's for 6 months because it took 3 to 4 months to get my permit card. This will be for each of you if one is not Brazilian. Make sure you have a CPF number. Not sure how it works with a child born as a Brazilian. I find it better to have to many documents than not enough for the Process. Also if they approved your paperwork you will have to go pay a couple of fee. That means either going to the bank or sometime you can do it at a grocery store. But you will have to present the paid receipts before they will summit it for processing. Good luck

yeah many years later ive stopped being lazy and gotten on top of this. I had to fly back to canada. do my appropriate visa was processed in under 10 days. and i flew back. now when your back you need to start the RNE process which im in the process of which is weird because canada isnt part of the Apostle of documents area so ive had to manually go out and get my documents verified in canada to have them shipped back ( apostile / authentic documents ) Sorry folks not been posting much here been busy between work / sorting out document drama myself. Once you get used to the beaurocracy here it gets alot simpler. while your child is born here they cannot legally ship you away BUT caveat your fine will be plentyful with late taxes. so the longer you tarry, there is a limit to the amount cap at 10 mil reais. but no limit cap to the amount of late fees you pay.  like mine was only 2 months late and it was about 15 - 17 mil reais total to pay a 10 mil fine. that was my big lesson learned here. Taxes / multos / juros = skys the limit homie lol

James wrote:

IMPORTANT NEW CHANGES FOR THOSE APPLYING FOR PERMANENT VISAS

***************************************************************************************************

EDIT OF JULY 17, 2015
INFORMATION REGARDING NEW FEE STRUCTURE FOR PERMANENCY, REGISTRATION AND CÉDULA DE IDENTITDADE ESTRANGEIRO

Without much in the way of public notice, the Brazilian government has significantly increased all fees relating to the permanency process, registration and issuance of the Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro. The new fees and their associated "Código da Receita STN" numbers that you will need for the process are as follows:

140066 PEDIDO DE PERMANENCIA     R$168,13
140082 Registro de Estrangeiros/Restabelecimento de Registro R$106.45
140120 Carteira de Estrangeiro de Primeira Via R$204.77

As of September 1, 2014 a major change goes into effect for those applying for a VIPER Permanent Visa (within Brazil) based upon marriage to a Brazilian, having a Brazilian child, stable union, family reunion or based on the MERCOSUL Agreement.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE WILL NO LONGER BE A PUBLICATION IN THE NATIONAL GAZETTE (Diário  Oficial da União – DOU) REGARDING THE PERMANENCY PROCESS.

For those who have begun their process prior to September 1st , there is a listing of processes in the Federal Police website showing the visas that have already been granted. The file is in Adobe PDF format and there were thousands of names on the list shown for September 1 and 2, so your case may already have been decided. Check the list (link below) for your process. The list is in alphabetical order BY FIRST NAME.

http://www.dpf.gov.br/servicos/estrange … 202014.pdf

If your name appears on this list then your VIPER Permanent Visa has been granted, you should enter the Policia Federal website (link below) follow all the steps to apply for your Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro, schedule your visit, print off the form and GRUs, pay the GRUs and report to the Federal Police in your city at the time and date you scheduled. Note, you must do so within 90 days from the date your visa was granted, if an appointment is not available within that 90 days, then do all the above and go to the Federal Police without an appointment,  they will slot you into a time.

http://www.dpf.gov.br/servicos/estrange … -e-anistia

This change came about because of a Ministry of Justice directive that creates a national database for Vital Statistics and a nationally uniform document for BIRTH, MARRIAGE and DEATH CERTIFICATES which may also be authenticated electronically.

Actually, this may have the overall effect of speeding up the entire VIPER Permanent Visa process, since in the past for those who applied based on marriage, a Brazilian child or on a stable union (in Cartório) the document they submitted had to be verified by the Federal Police at the individual Cartório involved. In most cases this added several months to the processing time of the visa. Only time will tell if this really will be the case, but we can certainly hope that it is true. Certainly it can't make things any worse than they've been up to now.

Cheers,
James     expat.com Experts Team

**********************************************************************************
Edit Oct. 2, 2014

So, just how is the new process supposed to work anyway?

Well according to the Policia Federal, if you are applying for "Permanência Definitiva" based on marriage / having a Brazilian child / stable union (which has existed at least 1 year) / family reunion / MERCOSUL Agreement then under the new rules it is now a simplified ONE STEP process.

If your paperwork is ALL in order then you are immediately granted permanency and you are only going to wait for the Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro to be produced. If your paperwork isn't completely in order they will tell you so and you have 10 days in which to correct any problems. If there are any problems that you cannot correct then your case will be forwarded to the Ministry of Justice for a decision the same way that applications were all handled in the past.

Now, you must prepare the VIPER application (Pedido de Permanência Definitiva) and the application for the Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro - CIE all at the same time. You do that at the DPF website www.dpf.gov.br

You will need to fill out both application forms online, schedule your visit to the Federal Police, generate and pay 3 GRUs, one for Code 140066 Pedido de permanência definitiva R$102,00; another for 140082 Registro de Estrangeiro R$64,58 and finally one for 140120 Carteira de Identidade Estrangeiro Primeira via R$124,23.

Once all that is done (provided everything is in order and accepted by the DPF) you are then entitled to permanency and your CIE will be processed. They say within 60 days (well we will wait to see if that part of the bargain they can keep up).

As far as everything else goes, the documents required and the necessity to have them legalized by the Consulado-Geral do Brasil, authenticated by your home country Ministry of Foreign Affairs / State Dept. / Embassy or Consulate, have them translated, etc., all remain unchanged.

There will no longer be a home visit in order to "verify" that a couple/child exists; this has been one of the reasons that the process took so long in the past. Now the probatory documents are going to be accepted at face value. (Isn't finally being trusted a wonderful thing?)

So, at long last this process seems to have been brought into full conformity to Art. 226 of the Constitution of the Federated Republic of Brazil, which guarantees "Protection of the family unit".

Hi! Can you please help me where to find the documents we need to bring as parents in order to process our baby's Brazilian passport (intend to give birth in brazil)

Both of us arent brazillians, and Its a plan of ours to go to brazil to give birth. I wanna know what docuemnts we need to bring so we can prepare all. My due is on march 2021. Id deeply apprecuate if you can help us in this question. Thanks!!

"Hi! Can you please help me where to find the documents we need to bring as parents in order to process our baby's Brazilian passport (intend to give birth in brazil)

Both of us arent brazillians, and Its a plan of ours to go to brazil to give birth. I wanna know what docuemnts we need to bring so we can prepare all. My due is on march 2021. Id deeply apprecuate if you can help us in this question. Thanks!!_"

While it is not illegal to give birth in BR, but this statement may cause you issues entering into BR.
Since you are not Brazilian you will need a visa from the consulate. The application will ask if your wife is with the child, a doctor's statement as to the due date. If the visa is issued you will need this information at the airport you will enter. Even if you have a visa, the Policia Federal has the final say.
Brazil is well known for its love of red tape and bureaucracy. Many travelers come to Brazil and manage to navigate their way through the birthing and immigration processes by themselves. But this does come with its own stresses and strains, particularly if you don't speak Portuguese well.

Sometimes even staff who work in Brazilian government institutions can be unclear about the rules for foreigners. If you're not confident of your rights and of how the processes work, it's all too easy to be given the runaround.

@James any new updates yet? I got married couple of days ago I'm going this week to pick up my marriage certification

@James any new updates yet? I got married couple of days ago I'm going this week to pick up my marriage certification

- @dedecadaver

James is no longer an active member so you will not get a response from him.

@SimCityAT ohhh

Hello dedecadaver,

Feel free to start a new thread on the Brazil forum to ask your questions.1f609.svg

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.com team
08/23/22  Thanks, Cheryl!

I should also point out that in November 2017, over two years after James's post at the head of this thread, Brazil completely revised it's  immigration laws, so a many of the points that were valid in 2015 no longer are.  The entire visa scheme under the 2017 law is totally different from the previous one.

Questions on the current law should definitely go to current threads, or they may be overlooked.