IMPORTANT NEW CHANGES FOR THOSE APPLYING FOR PERMANENT VISAS

Congratulations - so glad it worked out for you!

They type of marriage we applied for was called.  ( STABLE RELATIONSHIP ) it where the person who is the Brazilian present document to cartório for total support and responsible for the other person is considered same as married.

Iveta555 wrote:

Also does anyone know how long after you get permanent residence you can apply for brazilian passport?

Thanks

You need to be a Brazilian citizen to be issued a Brazilian passport.   Spouses of Brazilian citizens can apply for naturalization after one year of continuous residence as a permanent resident, counting from the issue date of your CRNM.  This is a good deal:  the usual waiting period is four or five years, depending on the type of permanent resident.

Thanks Abthree

And I forgot to say NewBrazil congratulations! :))

Iveta555
Sure thing.  :top:
I plan to apply myself this coming November, the earliest that I'll qualify.  The process is said to take a long time; I'll post my progress - or lack of it - here as it happens.

Hello everyone.

New member here, hoping I can get some advice on joining my Brazilian civil partner in Brazil on a permanent basis. I've had a quick read through of this thread and you all seem quite knowledgeable on the topic, though I'm pretty confused by all the various changes and jargon.

So, some history... We've been in a civil partnership since 2011, which happened when we were both living in the UK. In the last couple of years, circumstances - financial, family illnesses, Brexit - have separated us and he has ended up back home in Brazil and I've been catapulted back to Australia. Now we wish to be reunited in Brazil. I've visited a couple of times and love it there and have booked to return in September.

Originally I was planning on applying for a permanent visa prior to departure, however I seem to understand that we need a Brazilian Marriage Certificate for the application and to get one of those, we both need to be present at the embassy or cartorio. So, being Australian, I have acquired an eVisa (how great are they? - certainly a lot easier than the old method!) for my September trip so that we can both go and obtain a Brazilian marriage certificate.

My main question is this: once I have that certificate, along with all the other paperwork listed on the Consular website (which I'm pretty sure I have) am I able to apply for a permanent visa while I am still in Brazil, or will I need to return to Australia and apply via the consulate, and then return once it has been issued?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

leroy1978

Congratulations!  Sounds like you're very well prepared.  You should be able to apply for your permanent residency while you're here without having to return to Australia, especially since you have your documents together (with apostilles, I hope), and since your relationship is of such long standing.

The smart thing would be to start the process ASAP after your arrival, so that if there ARE any hiccups with documents, you'll have time to fix them.  Good luck, and have a wonderful reunion!

https://sistemas.mre.gov.br/kitweb/data … 20Familiar(3).pdf The document I am using as a checklist is this one, which obviously is specific to Australian applicants:
https://sistemas.mre.gov.br/kitweb/data … 20Familiar(3).pdf

The instructions for application seem to be tailored to those applying from outside Brazil/before travelling to Brazil, as they refer to the embassy in Canberra. Do you know if the requirements are all the same if I submit my application while in Brazil?

As for the documentation requirements -
- my partner's identity card - he has this, obviously and we will get that authenticated when I arrive
- statement of responsibility - as above - do you know if this has to be in English or Portuguese or either?
- my passport - have this!
- passport photo - have this!
- visa request form - haven't filled this out yet, but looks pretty straightforward
- civil partnership certificate - this is where I think it might get tricky - obviously a UK certificate, but it does have an Apostille issued by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office, which I got done while I was still there. It was issued nearly two years ago though - is this a problem?
- I have life insurance and superannuation documents that list my partner as the beneficiary. This section does say "ideally more" than one but we have none of the other things listed, so this will have to do.
- I am awaiting an Australian Federal Police Check to arrived back to me. I'm a bit concerned that it needs to be issued within 90 days of applying and that I won't have enough time to arrive in Brazil and make my application if it arrives too soon!
- Proof of address - I'm assuming this is my Australian permanent address as it currently stands, even once I am in Brazil (as I won't yet have achieved permanent residence). I have bank statements and utility bills proving this.

Is there anything else that this list does not mention that I need to get to be ready to make the application (other than the fees, etc).

Sorry to bombard with questions, but I'm at my wits end using Google to find the answers and you all seem to know what you're talking about.

Thanks!

leroy1978

You'll be filling out the application when you get here, on the Polícia Federal website.   Your partner should check the document requirements there, and you should compare notes:  the requirements will be about the same, but there may be some subtle variations.

Are you planning on getting married as soon as you get here?  If so, your marriage certificate will replace your civil partnership certificate to prove your relationship, and save you a translation charge, since you'll need to get a Sworn Translation in Portuguese for every document in English that you submit.

The legal fiction of permanent residency is that your partner is requesting it on your behalf, so HE'S the one who needs to sign the Statement of Responsibility (in Portuguese), stating that he'll support you.  Don't worry about that:  he's accepting legal responsibility for you, but he doesn't need to provide proof, and they don't check.  Same for proof of address:  he provides it, and the police expect that you'll be living there, too.

You're right about the Police Report:  you need to time that very carefully.  Ideally, you should receive it with enough time to get an apostille on it before you leave, but late enough that you can get it translated and get your application in to the Federal Police within 90 days of the issue date.  If you do that, you're golden:  once they accept your application, the clock stops on the Police Report, and it stops on your visa, too.  However long it takes to process your case, you won't be considered as overstaying.

Hello James. I read your articles and responses with great interest and I am very interested in speaking to you. I have a Brazilian child and I am looking for some help on naturalization issues.

saso22584 wrote:

Hello James. I read your articles and responses with great interest and I am very interested in speaking to you. I have a Brazilian child and I am looking for some help on naturalization issues.

James died some time ago. I suggest you read through other posts here for information.

NewBrazil

I hope she keeps you. This is something new. Under the old system, you never lost your card with divorce.

Jim

The other interesting thing is the residents  it is called indeterminate. I guess that there way of saying how long you say married.

Indeterminada means the card never expires. It granted to people who are over 60 or will be before the card would have expired.

Jim

It's nice to know that the card never expires!

I was wondering ( a bit off topic) would you guys mind sharing what jobs do you do in Brazil...particularly if any of you live in Goiania? I am studying a TESOL course and was planning to teach English but I absolutely hate the course and not enjoying it at all so am getting a bit worried about the whole job situation.

I live in Goiania and most expats here have a business, work for family businesses, retired or teach English. The job outlook here is not good for expats. Teaching English in a school here is low pay and terrible schedule of hours (nights/weekends). You can make a little more with private classes, but same hours.

I teach online and don't teach in Brazil. Pay is better and convenient to family life. Any questions write me privately.

I'm retired, but I may want to take up consulting again, or even teach a few English classes, so as soon as I got my CIE, now CRNM, I went to the State Labor Department and got my Labor and Social Security Card.  You should do the same:  the process is easy, and once you have it, you're ready to work legally at any job you can find, or that finds you.
BTW, it's also a good idea to get a SUS card for the National Health Service, even if you plan to have private insurance.  Any local clinic can tell you how to get it.

Abthree thank you for the advice....I shall do that as soon as I arrive in Brazil.

Today i thought I'd start the process of applying for my VITEM XI and surprise surprise.....gone onto the Brazilian Consular page and this is what it says:

"Residence – family reunion (VITEM XI)

Due to the publication of the Interministerial Order No. 12 (13/6/2018), the content of this page is currently under revision and will be updated soon. If you wish to apply for a family reunion visa, please send an email to [email protected]."

Has the law changed again?

Wow - looks like it!  Thanks for the heads up:  you've just given me my after-gym research project for today.  ;)

Glad I could help  :D

Now pls share whatever information you can find. I have a reply from the consular saying i just need to wait until they put the new info up on  the website. I hope they are making it easier and not harder!!

Iveta555 wrote:

Glad I could help  :D

Now pls share whatever information you can find. I have a reply from the consular saying i just need to wait until they put the new info up on  the website. I hope they are making it easier and not harder!!

Here's the Portaria in full:
http://www.pf.gov.br/servicos-pf/imigra … l%20n%2012

A lot of it appears to be intended to clarify what does and does not constitute a "união estável" and doesn't apply to you as a married couple.  Understandably, the Foreign Ministry doesn't want to grant a VITEM XI to someone whom the Justice Ministry will reject later for not qualifying when they apply to the Federal Police for permanency.

The document requirements appear to be the same as when we applied last August, so you probably already have them all, and are just waiting for the Consulate to revise their forms.  The documents that you'll have to provide to the Consulate for the visa are listed in Article 3 ("Art. 3º") on pages 1 and 2.  the documents that you'll have to provide to the Federal Police are listed in Article 7 ("Art 7º") on pages 3 and 4.  The term "chamante" throughout the document refers to your husband, as the person "calling" you to Brazil.

Abthree thank you!

It appears I have all documents already apart from a criminal check which i need to get. It says you need to provide one for the country where you were resident for the past 5 years which is UK. I have double citizenship (UK and Bulgaria) so do you think i should get one done from Bulgaria too...just to be on the safe side? I have lived in UK for the past 16 years but was wondering if i should get one from there too.

Iveta,

Re:  Bulgaria.  I wouldn't bother, if you've been living in the UK all this time.  If you do decide to get it, be aware of turnaround times, and that you'll probably need to get any documents not in Portuguese translated by a Sworn Translator for the Federal Police.

Yes I think I will not bother as I left Bulgaria when I was a teenager and have lived in UK for over 16 years so I doubt they will ask me for that.

Thank you  :)

Is there any way to pay the overstay fee before leaving the U.S. I'm wondering, Banco do Brazil is here in New York where I live now. Can I pay there ? I leave to Brazil soon and will be arriving late at night. Somebody help please thanks.

Call Banco do Brasil - New York, and ask them.

Hello  James,

Been living here in Brazil for the past 2 years  and this year want to apply for my Neutralization,when i went to the PF was told  i need to take part in CELP-BRAS Exams this year which have already register and his taking place on October. Did you have any Knowledge or  some guidelines that can put me through.
Kindly please assist me on this or any one who has the idea.because  i was told the exam only 2 twice in a year  if i miss this now till next year April.

Thank you

14 is the last date of admission for Celpe-Bras being organized in Oct.

Hello James,

I looking for someone to help me with permanent residency? My child is Brazilian but I am having trouble navigating the PF website.  I can pay you for your time if interested or if you know someone, I would appreciate it. Please message me in my inbox.

Hi everyone, I hope this query belongs in this thread. I have a question and I would rather see if anyone can answer it here without me having to go to the PF in Rio.

If during the period between obtaining my stable union at the cartorio and applying for my permanent residency my tourist visa expires. Will I be illegal? Or am I classified as legal through Brazil's constitution of not splitting up families but not a permanent resident until I obtain my RNE?

Help appreciated!

Thank you

Nikola,

Why would it expire?  Have you already used your extension?
I doubt that the constitutional argument will work, but it's imaginative and worth a try.  :cool:
What will probably happen is that they'll charge you the overstay fine, and then accept your application.  Clearly, it's to your benefit to submit the application sooner if you possibly can.

My question is how long has it been expired. When are you going to do your application. If you seen the new law you may have to pay the new fine before they may accept your application not sure. I did my application when  my tourist visa was in compliance's not expired.
I just went through the processing. When I applied they gave me a paper that extended my period for 6 months while waiting for the permanent Resident. I got in four months. I did my application at the Federal Police.

Thank you both of you!

The 100 real a day fine is a really a push to get those docs together rapido! Yes, I am in my extension now.

I feel that the biggest barrier is getting my documents together now...

Hi all

the below point from the PF GOV site. How did people go about getting this?

Declaração conjunta dos cônjuges ou companheiros, sob as penas da lei, a respeito da continuidade de efetiva união e convivência;

Thank youuuuu!

Nikola Grace wrote:

Hi all

the below point from the PF GOV site. How did people go about getting this?

Declaração conjunta dos cônjuges ou companheiros, sob as penas da lei, a respeito da continuidade de efetiva união e convivência;

Thank youuuuu!

That should be easy:  just a declaration you and your partner make in a cartório.  They probably have a standard document you just need to sign ... and pay their fee, of course!

Abthree thank you! It's nice to hear something is easy!

I have a further question I am going to request my criminal record check tomorrow (in  England then get it sent to me) when it is done do I need to get it apostillised? Or do I need to do something with it here? I know an apostille removes the need for double verification but I just want to check if I need to do it and not just get it translated and notarised at the cartorio here.

Thank you again

Sorry, I don't know that answer.  I processed my application through the Brazilian Consulate General in Chicago under the old rules (just under the wire!) and didn't need an apostille, but with the Federal Police, you probably will.  Fortunately,  you're in Rio:  can the British Consulate General issue them?  If not, you'll have to go through whatever agency handles them in the UK.

My experience was I brought a criminal history record that wasn't translated or even with  notoriety. My wife did get a police check on me from here. My previous experience is if possible I would get it apostle and if you can send it to the consulate they can make it a legal document. If you are here then the apostle and get it translated first before notoriety. The other thing which may have help me I was married here before I got a divorce here. So they had all my records in there data base. Hope this helps.

Hey, no worries. i wish i had done everything beforehand!

No, I had major issues once in Argentina where I needed an apostille and the British embassy couldn't give me one. I needed to send the document back to England and get it done there and sent back. I really don't recommend this!

Thank you for replying.

Newbrasil - I think rather to be safe than sorry I will get it apostilled while it is in the UK. I can arrange it here and get a family member to post it on fedex.

thank you