Trying to decide whether or not to move to Cyprus

Hi, my family are currently trying to decide whether or not to move to Cyprus with my husbands work. I have two teens and think we would chose to be in or near Larnaca, any recommendations on schooling? We hope to get out soon to have a look. Please can you give us some advice on areas to look for rented accommodation etc, any advice on moving (from Scotland)

Hi Mo40,

I have created a new thread with your post on the Cyprus forum in order to give it much more importance and to encourage members to interact with you. ;)

Thanks

Priscilla

We just moved to Cyprus 5 weeks ago - came to Paphos district and love it...we are lucky as we dont have to work - however i would suggest for you to come and visit a few times  - the longer you can the better to get a better idea of layout, accom, lifestyle etc... etc - we lived in Malta for 6yrs and that was quite a change for me - we shipped out of Rugby Uk wth three suitcases and a one way ticket...having sold the house the cars all our worldy goods etc etc etc  and took the risk - despite hating Malta 12months earlier when on holiday but gave it another chance to prove we were simply in the worng place - luckily for us we found the right place eventually - it took 4 moves to find the right accom....we did it and lived there succesfully for that time but felt it was too small and limiting and needed to have and make some changes.. so cyprus it was  - we had friends here who had done it and loved it... so we took the plunge  - sold everythg we had and shipped out here ....dont regret it at all....

it is dfferent with a family and working for sure but do your reseacrh and you should be good to go..

am happy to offer advice and assist where i can - cant say that i can answer all the questions but we will try

good luck

Toonarmy. My wife and I (both in our 70s) are thinking of retiring to Cyprus (among other places). I have heard that Northern Cyprus is financially easier to live in than the south. I'm not interested in the politics of the matter, only the affordability. What would you advise?  Thanks.

i have heard that the north is cheaper and a better place to live than southern cyprus, but if you are thinking of buying a property in the north,"don"t"  because of the politics as to ownership of the land which has not been resolved as yet. good luck.

LONDONCHAP wrote:

i have heard that the north is cheaper and a better place to live than southern cyprus, but if you are thinking of buying a property in the north, don't;  because of the politics as to ownership of the land which has not been resolved as yet. good luck.

Thanks for the reply. No, we would never buy a place, at our age. Rental only.

London chap is dead right Gordon, bad move re - title deeds you just don't know  check this link http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8467478.stm  and there's a lot more to check if you decide to go for it.

Thank you. 😊

Sorry we cannot comment on northern cyprus as we have not lived there nor have we visited..but we will do one day... my personal view for what it is worth  - is that as long as northern cyprus is not in the EU (part of turkey) then for us its a no go in terms of free healthcare.....and pensions payments may not be increased each year? check that out.?

as for affordability  - it may well be m ore affordable  - it is said to be cheaper - but life isnt jjust about that there are other issues such as registration, tax, healthacare, pension rights etc.and am sure many more. you need to research these things before deciding

for us  - its not a goer.... no matter how cheap

just as an aside  - we have been here in Cyrpus (Peyia Paphos district) for only 6 weeks (having lived in Malta for 6yrs) and love it  - its clean green and so beautiful - expense wise  - overall its about the same as Malta  = its all about being mobile and ability to get to the shops /cafes etc  you can afford and adapt to.

SWINGS AND ROUNDABOUTS IS VERY APT
for example  -  bread eggs electricity and milk is CONSIDERABLY more expensive
but cars, electrical goods, water and rental accomodation is much much cheaper.

much depends on your budget, your requirements and what you can adapt to - just like any other country.

have you been here before or northern cyprus for that matter  - if not i would suggest you try a holiday or short let and try them both before committing to anything......

for the record we dont regret leaving Malta for here  - its amazing... and we love it.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

have you been here before or northern cyprus for that matter  - if not i would suggest you try a holiday or short let and try them both before committing to anything......

I think a short let is the way to go, wherever one starts. At the moment we rather favour somewhere in Central America, but Malta and Cyprus would be up there among our choices if we decided on Europe. We're in our 70s, but are still flexible enough, and would always rent for a short period. Hey, at our age, everything is short-term, right?

good call...

This is correct, you cannot "own" the land on  the North side of Cyprus.   

I do have a lovely newly renovated 3 bed detached house with a shared swimming pool in a quiet Cul de sac with 14 houses which has full title deeds (free hold) at a very good price if anyone is interested in  Erimi Limassol Cyprus.   Its 5 mins to the beach.  10 - 15 mins into Limassol town center and 30 mins to Papfos.

for the record i would never buy here rents are so affordable  - mainly i think because many owners cannot sell or are finding it hard to do so - and as such are offering their himes up for rent to at kleats recover soem of the cash thyeve lost through the "financial troubles"

plus i like the flexibility that renting affords us... just move on and find another one when and if things change....or iof th mood takes you that way....lol

How much is your house?

the range if rents here are from 200e per month to as much as you wish

we have seen houses with own pools for 400e a month

some real bargains to be had here for sure - lots of them

How much are you selling your house for?

NOTE always rent first  3month to 6month minimum maybe even a year  - it takes that long to decide whether you like a place enough to stay long term - and also things change - test the area and its services location environment etc etc  - then decide if you like the area youve chosen - then consider buying.

remember also  - once you buy you may be stuck with it for a long long time as houses aremnt selling well right now. Many owners are in negative equity so as much as it may be a buyers market... remember you may become a seller soon too.... so just be carefull  - tread very warily