Temporary Resdidencia - first steps!

They only hold you until the return flight if you can't pay for the ticket change....~$200

you might find out why they refuse you... by asking

NO idea honey.  No one can make that decision except you.   No one knows what may or may not happen.

Bmccarthy1034 wrote:

Hi again.
I've been reading the posts both here and on Facebook.
I was denied entry and sent back in September.
I just bought a round trip ticket to PUJ for Friday.
I also have a reservation for a resort in Punta Cana.
My ticket is for 6 days.
After reading in this forum, I'm now concerned that I may again be denied and this time, detained in jail until my return flight the following Thursday.
Should I try it anyway, or just forget about it and write the lost money off as a lesson?

Wrong thread subject but to answer:

For sure there is going to be something on your file once the immigration officer swipes your passport on arrival. You have a record on file which is unlikely to get deleted but can be improved by future legal stays.

It would therefore be wise to seek prior authorization because they might think you would overstay again.

The foreign travel advice given by the Canadian authorities suggest you perhaps should obtain a visa for this visit:

If you overstay the period for which you have been authorized to stay, you will have to pay fine to immigration authorities when leaving the country.  You may also need to apply for a visa the next time you wish to return to the Dominican Republic. Local authorities may deny you entry if you don't have the proper visa.

I would suggest that another option is that you could post your question on the DGM forum. They are the people that decide all matters immigration after all:

https://foro.migracion.gob.do/forums/fo … tranjeria/

This could become a recurring question if the numbers of denied entry for previous keep increasing.

Thank you for the reply.  I'm thinking I may just eat the ticket and consider it a learning experience.

It doesn't cost to write an e-mail to your local DR consulate or even call them to seek advice. Equally a question online as suggested. All less than losing your flight cost.

And presumably you want to visit DR again and get the record straightened?

I just received my 60 day resident visa from the Dominican Consulate in Miami. Now I'm heading to Santo Domingo to file the application for residency in DR. Any recommendations on how to expedite the local process there? Should I use a lawyer? Any recommendations for honest and efficient lawyers? Thanks 😊

Welcome to the forums!  I do recommend you use a lawyer, it will both speed things up and make things far less frustrating! 

I recommend Lishali Baez Mejia. She speaks English very well and is on top of her game. She can be reached on whatsapp and phone at  1-809-860-1231

There are a few of us who have used her services and recommend her. 

Good luck and please keep us posted!

As far as I am concerned, I did it all alone. I you do speak Spanish good enough, it is not necessary to use a lawyer.

First of all, applications must be uploaded to the DGM website.

1 - Got to https://www.migracion.gob.do/Menu/Index/18
2 - Chose Residencia Temporal => "Solicitar en linea"
3 - Create yourself a login
4 - Upload all the documents needed in JPEG FORMAT (photo)
5 - Wait until they check your documents
6 - If not complete, or any document is not valid, you will be notified through the system.
7 - If all is ok , you will be given an appointment at the DGM.
8 - Get there with all your original documents and your passport.
9 - Cost is 14,500 DOP

While some can do it themselves, many cannot.  To those who do, good for you!  To those who don't,  that's okay too! 

Do what works for you.

doing it alone might lead to problems...IMO

Lawyers work at DGM every day - they know people who can unscramble a problem.

I had a few on my application.... lost files twice !!
when the boss found out about that - I went VIP !!

Fast acceptance - and a shortcut

WillieWeb wrote:

Fast acceptance - and a shortcut

WillieWeb,

How long did it last from from the day your application was submitted to the day you received your Cédula ?

Actually, I was referencing my citizenship application,
pointing out the infernal, internal fumbling that can happen at DGM - regularly !!

Sorry - can't help w/ your question

The days are gone when lawyers can pay someone to speed things up or put you on the top of the pile. That went away with the electronic filing of documents.

However,  lawyers know how the documents need to be done and what the potential pitfalls are.   Don't get me wrong, as a standard I do not like lawyers here!  Most are unprofessional and do not do what they say they will do. 

That being said, this is a time when it pays to have a good one.  To do it yourself you need to  carefully research what is needed,  understand spanish and speak it well AND understand the processes here and how thing can go sideways!   

So those who can,  do it yourself.  Those who can't or don't want to,  use a lawyer.  Several here are recommended!

Not to get off residency topic too much....Does anyone know if you can bring pets over (with proper documents needed) before we actually have Residency? We were thinking we may rent a place while waiting for Residency.

Certainly you can.... in the normal manner, as any visitor does

Exactly.

Guineo Verde08 - Thank you very much for taking the time to post this.

I decided to do my temp residency application myself and it wasn't too difficult, just a ton of paperwork needed to scanned and uploaded. I bought the "repatriation insurance" policy from Patria online. I also decided to use the main DGM office on the Malecón in Santo Domingo (despite their bad reviews) assuming it would be more efficient in the long run
   However while I'm waiting for DGM to review the paperwork and give me an appointment to come in and pay the 14,500 peso fees, I need to go back to the States to complete unfinished business. Will I have a problem completing the temporary residency application when I return to DR for my appointment? Does anyone have any experience in this situation?

We are on our way back from Santo Domingo after filing our Residency Application.  The entire process was a breeze largely in part to our Lawyer Lishali Báez Mejia. She is extremely professional, organized and saved us countless hours if we would have attempted this ourselves. Dealt with last minute hiccups with ease which would have no doubt frustrated us. We would highly recommend her if you are deciding to hire a lawyer

She's experienced.... not much flusters her

Been my consultant for years..... since she was an intern at Guzman

I think she is amazing!

Can you tell me how long (to allow enough time for everything to be completed) you need to be in the country to take the medical exam and file paperwork or anything else is needed after being approved in your home country?

If you have everything done and it's all correct you should be able to file fairly quickly, then your medical tests should be requested quickly as well! 

You can feel free to reach out to the.lawyer suggested above, she can give you a more current update.

I have used Lilyas some refer to Lishali Báez Mejia. WHile application was slightly different as I tried an inexperienced lawyer (another story) Ms Mejia wa herself baffled at the delays they threw her way on my file. We finally got everything done in early Dec.Now, partly (or in large part)  due to upcoming elections, government processing of the cedula and Temporary Residency cards are not expected until March or April. But Ms Mejia is a gem.....no question.

DRVisitor

There is a bout a one week - 10 day  - waiting period from medical tests to approval.

Medical follows the application - same day
Wait for results.... cedula granted same day

so about 2 weeks overall....max

My recollections........

So you can do the medical and file the application the same day and leave the country and return upon approval? Also, you have sixty days to to file the application and do the medical but can you return after the sixty days if you handled that?

DRVisitor: assuming you received your VISA to enter the country, the residency is another process entirely.  The VISA is required as part of the documentation to begin the residency process.  You must file for residency within 60 days of receiving your VISA (planner, please correct me if this has changed).  I suggest to do this filing ASAP as some of the documentation that you will require may take you some time to get.  If you have a lawyer, your lawyer will save you some time.  After filing you will receive an appointment to present your original documents and go for your medical (most likely on the same day in Santo Domingo).  Once filed it could take 1-4 months to be approved and to be called for your next appointment.  There is not much notice from the time they give you the appointment until the time you must go.  It is better if you are in the country when that happens.  Don't worry about being in the country after your VISA expires and you have filed for residency.  Not a big deal.  However, if you leave the country during the process after your VISA expires, be prepared to pay your overstay fine (from the day you entered the country).  When you re-enter with the expired VISA, it doesn't seem to be a big deal.  At least it wasn't for me.  You must be careful with your timing as some of your documents are time sensitive and you don't want to be caught being denied simply because a document expired.

Good luck.

Not now, especially with elections pending. Lily apologized several times to me and offered to lower her fees due the unexpected delays and strange requests from the government. Also about the almost 4 to 5 month delay it will take for the government to process the cedula and residency cards. She says basically that with no dedicated "civil service" as most of us are familiar with, government jobs are threatened in that a new government hires their "own" people. I see this being plausible at more senior levels, but I guess the reality of the trickle down or ripple effect appl. This is regrettable but a fact, and an embarrassing one for honest people like Lily. I interacted with several really good people - then there are those hordes behind the scenes.......ah well......it is what is is....

I can vouch for that post election 'shuffle'.....
I have experienced it.

All new people - usually supervisory staff...
but it disrupts everything for some time until the dust settles

Question what is a "official translator?" I'm not understanding this requirement. Is that similar to getting things Apostilled?
I went to Tallahassee and had some documents Apostilled but not getting the translations needing to be official. Also I'm married to a Dominican woman that lives there so do I have to apply for temporary residency 1st or can I go straight for permanent?

On the consulate website you should find a list of official translators OR many consulates offer that service. 

If married you start with temporary residency. Then you request permanent.

Thanks Planner.

Its a 5 year wait to request for permanent residency if married to a Dominican isn't it Planner?

Thanks...

Shorter - I think

I seem to recall 6 months....

Hi .I am coming to the DR this month .I am married to a Dominican for almost 4 years .I am hoping to stay for awhile . What type of visa shall I apply for once in the DR . I am only coming on a tourist card .I think it allows you to stay 30 days .I was told by other canadians that you can stay longer but expect to pay a fee when leaving . Will this also affect me  entering the country again ..

Wgat documents should I take with me if applying for residency in the DR

What documents do I need to bring with me to the DR if applying for residency . I have my marriage certificate, ( we were married in the DR ) . Birth certificate.  Do I need to do a medical here in my country or in the Dominican republic.  Please help

The wait for permanent residency was shortened to 6 months if you are married to a Dominican citizen. 

Connie - honey resid ncy is what you need.and that process starts in Canada.  Coming to visit and overstaying is an option.  If you plan to be here and need to work you need residency.  You qualify by reason of marriage and there is an entire process you need to start reading about.  This is the thread on residency you need to start reading.

Thanks planner for the information. I been traveling to the Dominican republic for 9 years now .but never overstayed once .I am coming back soon . I  have no intentions of working in the DR .just going to relax and enjoy life . So do you think if I overstayed my tourist Visa will there be a problem once I decided to leave .

Thanks Planner.  How can I get confirmation on the 6 months?  I am being told I cannot apply for permanent residency for 5 years and I am married to a Dominican.  I am reapplying for my temporary residency again now.

Closed