How can a Dominican visit Canada?

I've searched the forums and found related topics, but not exactly what I'm looking for.

My question is: How can a Dominican Republic citizen (with no legal relationship to any Canadian, including myself) visit Canada for a two week vacation? And has anyone recently completed such a process who could share their experience?

A search tells me they will require a visitor visa: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informati … s/visa.asp supported by a substantial array of documents: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-re … -visa.html

Here are my questions, which are really about the undefined terms.
  • What is meant by "good health"?   
  • What should the bank statement reveal?
  • I sometimes hear about a supporting "letter of invitation", but my reading of the above links is that such a letter is for family reunification "super visas", not a travel visa. True?
A Canadian immigration lawyer has cited a $3250 retainer to handle a visitor visa, but I find this to be out of proportion.

Your thoughts are welcome. Thanks.
I would recommend not spend your money on a lawyer for this... he will simply do the steps you see on cic, it might take 3-5 hours of your time to complete everything.

Does he have businesses/property in DR? If so, it should be easy for him to get a visa for visiting Canada.

If not I think it might be difficult without a legal relationship with a Canadian inviting over.

Also please note that delays are 3+ months right now to get a visitor visa.
A Canada visit is a tough proposition, I think.....
Don't spend money on lawyer, get a valid passport and apply online for visa.
2 words...Forget it!

Been there done that.  I even tried a Minister's pass and a 50K backup deposit.  Trust me when I say 2 words...

If you are really that desperate, meaning you found this absolutely gorgeous woman (chapiadora) that you really want to bring to Canada, go through the visitor visa process and after she is rejected, keep trying until they get tired of seeing your application...  It's a win win situation.  Either she dumps you before you get the approval or you get the approval and live happily ever after...

Sorry...I just say it the way it is...
TienesUnMapa -YOu will need to apply for a "Visitor/Tourist"Visa - it is called something else but this is close enough. This involves going to a designated location in Santo Domingo where you will have to provide documentation/application. It is a specific Canadian Visa application location where will also go for an interview. The location where I took my wife was at the first main interesection south of IKEA on the same side of the road as IKEA. Once you submit all paperwork, complete an interview, your file is then sent to Mexico City to the Canadian Embassy where officials from Immitration Canada process all Carribean applications.Unless you and provide proof for reasons that you WILL NOT stay in Canada - sufficient $$ in bank, land ownership & perhaps vehicle ownership plus family reasons, NO VISA will be granted. I applied once for my wife but they accept nothing from a Canadian spouse....cost was somewhere around $300 Canadian three years ago and the entire process took about four or five months.

@DominicanadaMike  - as per my reply, my wife was refused based on the "needed" elements. I now await her Permanent Resident Application to be processed. IT has within it an acceptance, for life, of responsibility by myself for my wife, in Canada. AS I discussed with my Member of Parliment, I wondered why Immigration does not have that element included in the "Visitor" VISA and especially where the spouse is Canadian.......no common sense application with bean counters likely overwhelmed in many areas of the world with applications and while in Canada the system is two years behind in processing....as government pushes for refugee intake from hot spots around the world & normal applications keep falling to bottom of the pile.....

In order for the Dominican to visit, they need to do a visitors visa. visit that canada.com website and follow links for visit, you can now easily apply online and get an answer within 30 day. I am doing this right now for my sister in law. all details are there.

very important, if the person is a girlfriend/boyfriend or wife/husband, i guarantee it will be refused every time on bases of "they believe the person had ties to canada and will want to overstay." (happened to my now husband 3 times) and now doing PR. (processing time form 12 if lucky to 23month)

what is needed:
Applicant must have a passport.
The applicant must know and preferably already met someone (sponsor) in canada (canadian Citizen), and that someone will need to send an invite letter. (you can find examples online) the letter usually indicates that you are inviting the person to visit from x date to y date, there personal information, how you know them and that you would provide a place to stay) if not, the applicant will need to provide proof of hotel reservation with dates in and out.

The Canadian also needs to include copy of Citizen ship card or passport and letter of employment with the letter.

Applicant needs to prove they have stronger ties in DR.
document to provide:

1- Invitation letter
2- Copy of passport
3- Copy of cidula
4- Proof of funds (3 month bank statement) + letter of employment with monthly income, title, how long they been there...
Bonus 1-A plane ticket, with return date (usually people buy the expensive refundable ticket then cancel it to buy a cheeper one with the correct dates. this) or some travel agency charge some money for an Itinerary (just a reservation) ps. this is not required but a big plus to getting accepted.
Bonus 2 - if they own an apartment or car or hose ( a copy of the deed).

Medical: they just ask questions on your health to make sure won't need to take care of you here.
so as long as hey do not have a chronic illness or cancer... You usually will NOT need to undergo any test before like for a permanent residency.

and you have to fill out on Long form that will make it seem like they are undressing you. but not as privacy invasive as the Permanent Residency for family reunification :)

cost. 100 canadian + 90 biometrics

hope this helps.
@2VPsoldier: like everything, there is a process and a certain way to do it.  I married and then had my wife in Canada 5 months later.  There are some special things that you can do to avoid them from saying no...but being married is mandatory for anyone that is not absolutely without any doubt going to return to the DR.  If you don't meet their "hidden" criteria...forget about it.  Although Monasitta is not wrong, there is much more to the process than that.
Thank you for the responses, particularly from people who have pursued this visa.

Spousal reunification is obviously a greater motivator than just a vacation. Visiting Members of Parliament, retaining lawyers, lengthy waits and reapplications speak to the potential challenges and frustrations.
I should also mention that the "process" starts from the first day you meet the other person...

Perhaps a few people would be interested in a followup to this 2022 post. I was able to speak with an experienced Canadian immigration attorney, and will share some of what he told me.

I heard that Canadian visitor visas for Dominican citizens do get issued, though most applications are unsuccessful. Successful applications are typically prosperous professionals attending events (conferences, business meetings, weddings, funerals).

The lawyer was skeptical that there is an across the board means test or formula - and he thinks recurring income is a more important factor than bank statements or a property title.

He also noted that a Dominican who wanted to spend a lengthier amount of time in Canada would find a much easier path through a work or student visa. Perhaps an interesting angle for some.

Another thing he said is that an unsuccessful application counts against one in the future.

That's about it.

What a shame! Canadians from all walks of life are permitted to visit the DR without a visa or an invitation. Many overstay illegally, just pay the accumulated exit tax on departure. Where is the reciprocity?

What is good for the goose, is good for the gander.

Thank you for this update!  Good information.

Stealth19  it doesn't work that way at all.  Canada would be completely inundated with people from all over the world which is unsustainable!

Study the reciprocity rule case between Brazil and the USA, after they decided to impose a visa on Brazilian tourist visiting the country.

Before you were born, Dominicans didn't need a visa to travel to Canada.

Hahahahaha  so you know how old I am?

No reciprocity.  We are talking about 2 very very different countries economically!   

From first hand experience in trying to get a "visitor Visa" to Canada for my wife. You must first go to the Canada Visa Center in Santo Domingo, get an appointment for an interview then do the interview. The results fo that interview and the accompanying paperwork is sent to the Immigration Officer in Mexico City who assesses & decides. Cost for all this is approx $400 Cdn. To be successful: you must have a healthy bank account; own property and prove you have ties int he DR that will ensure will return to the DR. It is extremely hard and frustrating.

Here are some reasons why people are not often approved for visitor visas to Canada:

Canada has a very generous support system, clean public transportation systems, clean roads, clean public bathrooms, garbage pickup, beautiful parks, fresh water lakes, reliable utilities (gas, water, electricity). 

Minimum wage (depending on the province) is $15 an hour. You are entitled to be paid when you are sick. You are not allowed to be fired from your job without alot of warnings and chances to improve. You cannot be forced to work extra hours or on public vacation days.

There are many generous government programs including payments every month when you have children (meant to help clothe and feed them).

When or if you lose your job you get paid by the government, to help you meet expenses until you find another job. They will give you free training (you get paid to go to school) so you can get a really good paying job and learn new skills. FREE

If you suffer with a major illness, like cancer, you will be treated and you dont have to pay for any of it, including the medicine and operations. While free health care is not perfect, you dont have to pay for it. Now dental care for children in lower income families is available.

Its legal to smoke or consume marijuana in candies or cakes and other products. You can buy 100's of varieties and they are in various strengths clearly identified in the packaging. Some provinces are starting to expand this to include other types of drugs (if you have them in your possession in small quantities, you cannot be arrested).

If you live in a city and in most places, utilities come to your home, in underground pipes so you just push a button or turn it on and off.

You cant live out on the street because the weather is too extreme and so alot of events happen indoors and not outside. Ofcourse we have warm weather in summer, but its a huge country, how warm and for how long depends where you live. It is expensive to live in Canada but alot less than Europe.

These are some reasons why people who visit might not return.  Thats why its very difficult.

Also, if you visit and happen to meet a Canadian and get married, guess what, you get to stay and you do not have to return home.

One way to get a visitor visa to Canada is to make sure you can prove you will return home. This means you have a good job, and responsibilities that will want you to return home to your country Republica Dominica. Your employer should give you a letter stating they expect you back to work on a certain date. If you dont have any kind of sponsorship from a friend or relative, this makes it more difficult as you dont have anyone who will guarantee your return (ie, bring you back to the airport and put you on the plane).

Karin 1f609.svg