Temporary Resdidencia - first steps!

We must try to some degree, at least, to combat the corruption present in our new home. The Green March is a great example.

Not completely correct honey. Lets exclude Haitians from this conversation.  They are a specific entire discussion.

ALL other foreigners are treated the same. The income requirement is the same for Canadians,  Europeans, Americans etc.  There is no difference.

Axel, that is true. I wonder why it is so.

Sorry Planner I cannot concur with you everyone else is treated DIFFERENTLY than us, as you see Tinker concurs with me

It is NOT correct. I know  dozens and dozens of foreigners who are all held to the same standard of income if you are applying for this type of residency. 

You may be confusing renewals!  Renewals I don't believe you even requalify on the basis of income.

There are not different standards for different countries. It is all based on the same calculation of US 1,500 per month for a standard retired person.

If it is not then show me the actual proof please!

planner wrote:

It is NOT correct. I know  dozens and dozens of foreigners who are all held to the same standard of income if you are applying for this type of residency.../  /... It is all based on the same calculation of US 1,500 per month for a standard retired person!

Dear Planner,
What type of visa would a US retiree need to apply for to live in the DR for a year or more? I read thru this post and it seems to take many months, paperwork from US, paperwork in DR, a DR attorney and thousands of dollars to obtain a Residency visa. It only took 3 weeks and $250 to get 1-year Retirement visa while in Thailand. The only documents needed were a lease agreement, income verification, passport pics, passport and application forms filled out in English. No attorney needed, no apostilled docs from US, no translations, no medical/physical, etc. Is there a Retirement type visa for retirees?

Just wondering why the CA & Caribbean countries make is so difficult & costly for retirees who meet the income requirements to come and stay long-term? I would like to come and live for a year or so, but the visa process is deterring me.
Kindly, Zeus

I hv a T9 residency

Zeus, it doesnt have to cost thousanda of dollars honey. Buy it is a bit daunting and takes time. Once you file application here you are fine to live here!

What is T9??? Sorry never heard any referred to as that Axel.

And in terms of why they make it so hard - who knows. Its not logical thats for sure.

planner wrote:

Seriously  90 business days is  5 months minimum. I know of no one who got their residency finalized and issued in under 9 months.  And these days things are all backed up.

Hi Planner,

You were right and I can confirm now that only for this step it took 8 and 1/2 months.
That is since we were at the Immigration in Santo Domingo to deposit our files until we got the approval.
Next step for us is to go back to Immigration in Santo Domingo and pick up our residency papers.
Then to JCE office to pick up the cedulas. No idea yet what we need for this step nor what JCE office should we go to.

Good morning,  thanks for confirming. That matches what I am hearing.   My driver here knows which office you have to go to.  I can find out for you.

At immigration we will go with an assigned paralegal, but we don't know yet if he/she will also go with us to the JCE office somewhere in Santo Domingo.
Maybe worth mentioning, our location is on the north coast, just between Sosua and Cabarete.

Normally they will take you thru the entire process honey.  YOu will get your residency card then your Cedula!

Very useful forum!

DamiAk wrote:

Very useful forum!

^ Must agree fellow newbie!

I'm probably taxing the admins bandwidth a bit with my search engine usage lately  :D

Glad you both find it helpful!!!

Gica... Immigration has an office in San Francisco de Macoris, where I go.
I am picking up my Residencia/Cedula next week.
Tom in Cabrera.

Congrats Tom.  When are you two going to be in Sosua again?  Need to have some beers! Pete left early, back in Miami already.  Only got to spend one hour with them.

Strange fellow indeed. Methinks he's a tad whipped?
Tom.
Under the bad weather again, healthwise chum.
Soon, I hope!

Yeah, culture, plus 30 years can tear down the strength. Soon, for which trip my friend?

Do you get an DR or USA lawyer to compete the process?

DR lawyer.  Foreign lawyers don't help apply for residency here.

2Happybeans be carefull with THESE so called lawyers 90% are crooked or just plain dumb, trust me on this. The Planner might hv someone but as far as myself I didnt pay any lawyer and done the process with my spouse since Dominican embassy in Puerto Rico  were also as crooked and lost $150 with them

I recommend Wilson Rood,  American Dominican, professional and not over priced. [email protected]

i just completed my residency renewal today for another 4 years and find that the residency card is now white!

I had excellent seamless and best value help from my perfect English spoken and literate lawyer in SD, Lishali Baez (ex Guzman).

The process seems to be taking longer having started the process on the first available date prior to renewal (45 days) and only having just competed the process a week before that renewal date.

The 10 working days to complete following medical is not happening at present apparently and DGM was rammed full today. JCE was a breeze getting the new cedula in less than 10 minutes.

My next one will be residency defintiva if not citizenship before.

Thank you for that update.  Things never seem to happen on time here.

Are you a T9 Residency cause I just renewed mines and its for a year, maybe I'm missing something here

Tell us what T9 stands for and maybe we can help......

I'm an RP1.

Once you have done your 5 single years of temporary residency, you get ( or at least I did get) a two year first permanent residency, then 4 year renewals. Once you get ten years of permanent residency, which will be my case next time, one can apply for a ten year definitive residency. That will be the case if I don't go for citizenship.

I was primarily posting to advise of the current delays in processing residencies at DGM.

There is a quicker fast track process to permanent residency for investors as I understand it. When I applied first time it was only one year temporary residency before getting permanent residency.

Temporary level 9, I was able to get gun permit with that as well

Cool great info

I am in the process of applying for the 60 day visa.  These are the requirements and process established in the U.S. 

DESCRIPTION
Visas for the purpose of requesting residency are issued for travelers whose intention is to establish in the Dominican Republic permanently. They are valid for one entry within 60 days of issue. Once in the Dominican Republic, the beneficiary of this visa must visit the Department of Migration within the 60 day period to apply for a provisional residence permit and complete additional local requirements.
REQUIREMENTS
1. Visa Form filled and completed in type or clearly printed.
2. One (1) frontal picture size 2 x 2 inches, with a white background.
3. Original passport valid for at least the duration of the requested visa or longer.
4. Medical Certificate showing a diagnosis of the overall health of the applicant, indicating if he or she suffers from any contagious disease. It must be issued by the health authorities of the country in which the person resides at the time of application. This document must be notarized, translated into Spanish and both the original and the translation Apostilled. Alternatively, once the original document is Apostilled it can be sent for translation by the Consular Section (see translation services).
5. Criminal Record Certificate issued by the appropriate authorities of the country in which the person resides at the time of application. This document must be notarized, translated into Spanish and both the original and the translation Apostilled. Alternatively, once the original document is Apostilled it can be sent for translation by the Consular Section (see translation services). Not required for minors.
6. Legible photocopy of National Identity Document of the country of nationality and legible photocopy of the Residence Card if residing in a second country.
7. Birth Certificate. This document must be notarized, translated into Spanish and both the original and the translation Apostilled. Alternatively, once the original document is Apostilled it can be sent for translation by the Consular Section (see translation services).
8. Marriage Certificate. This document must be notarized, translated into Spanish and both the original and the translation Apostilled. Alternatively, once the original document is Apostilled it can be sent for translation by the Consular Section (see translation services). Dominican marriage certificates must have been issued within the past six (6) months by the nearest office of the Central Electoral Board (Junta Central Electoral). A photocopy of the National Identity Document of the spouse of Dominican origin or if a legal resident a copy of the permanent residence card of the spouse must be attached.
9. Notarized Letter of Guarantee. Signed by a Dominican or a legal resident alien in the Dominican Republic specifying the type of relationship with the beneficiary of the visa. Also, the guarantor certifies to the Dominican authorities to undertake any expenses incurred on account of the visa beneficiary. The guarantor remains financially committed in the event that deportation is required if the recipient should violate the Dominican law. This letter of guarantee must be signed by a notary of the Dominican Republic and legalized by the Attorney General's Office of the Dominican Republic.
10. Documents showing the applicant's financial solvency. All documents must be issued for the applicant and NOT the guarantor. These documents may include as applicable:
a) Letter from Bank: updated with details of the account balance.
b) Copies of certificates of titles of property (must present the original)
c) Registration of established companies,
d) Copy of the last tax return
e) Copy of Financial Certificates
f) Letter of employment or proof of pension
11. Visa application letter from the beneficiary addressed to the Consular Section containing name, nationality, place of residence and occupation, as well as information on reasons for seeking to establish in the country (Of Dominican origin, child of a Dominican, Dominican spouse, as pensioner, or investor).
PROCESSING TIME
Between 10 and 15 working days depending on date of travel, prior requests and staff availability.

The hardest part seems to be getting the FBI background check so you need to allow enough time to get that accomplished

If you are a US citizen or indeed a citizen of any country covered by the tourist card, there seems little point in applying for a 60 day visa, assuming you intend staying for between 30 and 60 days, based upon clarifications issued earlier this year by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and as summarized in an article on a leading immigration lawyers website as below:

https://www.abreuimmigration.com/blog/t … o-120-days

Good morning wishinguwell,

There is a quick way to obtain the FBI background report from the DR. There are a number of companies that can obtain it for you in about a week. All you need to do is send a completed fingerprint card and application.

Good morning lennoxnev,

The 60 day visa wishinguwell is referring to is an RS visa and not a tourist visa. The RS visa is needed for those who want to later apply for Dominican residency. It gives the visa applicant 60 days to enter the Dominican Republic in order to submit the residency application along with the supporting documents.

Hi Bob K, I have been doing some research on moving to Las Terrenas with my family and your name pops up on many of the threads I have read! I have joined this site in the hopes that you might be open to answering some of my questions about life in Las Terrenas. Would you be open to me PMing you? I have not used a forum like this though 😳 so I'm not sure I would know how to! Some help with that would be appreciated too!! Many thanks! Kate

Bob K does not live in Las Terrenas honey.   He is good at answering questions and I am sure will tell you what he knows, however he is not spending a lot of time on here anymore.  He is more retired now......  :D

You can start a thread if you like about Las Terrenas and ask your questions there.  I will message you with some assistance.

This is why i think I'll hold off on buying in the DR. Renting seems just fine until they at least lengthen the tourist visa stay to 3 or 6 months.

Very useful forum.

Okay!  That's a lot of information.   The criminical record check, does it need to be entirely clear?  I have a couple spots from years back, will this be a problem?

Closed