Return Ticket is needed?

Hello, I am going to Punta Cana in 2 weeks, and I don't know how long I stay, so it would be twice as cheap for me to buy the return ticket once in Punta Cana than to buy a "flex" ticket (the one I could change the return date) now.

I just don't know: do they ask for return ticket on the border control? Is it usual?

I have been traveling to DR for 4 years now and never have I been asked to show a return ticket. Usually I travel with one way only.

I'm with Stan.  I have never used a return ticket and have never been questioned.  Went to Canada twice last year and returned in January this year so pretty recent...

Thank you very much StanR and DominicanadaMike. Where are you guys from?

Generally the border control don't ask nothing then? They just check the passport and bye?

When I pass through border control in Europe (I am Brazilian), generally they don't ask me anything (which for me is strange with all fuzz the media make about immigrants), I hope in Republica Dominicana is the same :D

I am from Canada.  I am sure you will be fine.  Just check the return flight cost before deciding one way or return.  I usually go with the cheaper version.

You are more likely to have your airline from Europe ask to see your return ticket. Several European airlines regularly ask for return tickets.

I much doubt if you will have a problem with the immigration officer at arrival in PUJ, and as posted, it would be unusual to be asked for proof of onward travel. I will caution that just before the end of last year, there was a news story in all the local press about a dozen Venezuelans being denied entry and sent home for not having a return ticket at Santo Domingo Las Americas airport. South Americans and some other nationalities do get more scrutiny here than North Americans or Europeans.

Unfortunately in DR nothing is certain and immigration can be and are lax, and it has to be your decision to abide by or ignore what is the law, as regards having a return ticket.

Asking if your proposed airline checks for return or onward travel is a question to be asked.

Return ticket questioning is supposed to happen before you board the plane.

The airline is responsible for ensuring you have a return ticket. That is the law.

If you are prepared to have to buy an expensive ticket at the departure gate, then go for it. The risk is yours. It's currently small but it's expensive.

Most have no issue.

buy it if need be and cancel it....24 hr grace period

planner wrote:

Return ticket questioning is supposed to happen before you board the plane.

The airline is responsible for ensuring you have a return ticket. That is the law.

If you are prepared to have to buy an expensive ticket at the departure gate, then go for it. The risk is yours. It's currently small but it's expensive.

Most have no issue.

Agree, To come here is diferent, never heard of some one asked for a return ticket when person arrive,  Im Dominican and always when I travel and book 2 one way tickets to go Canada because was cheaper that way,  when Im doing the the check in at the airport here, they always ask me to show a return ticket, and sometimes while doing inmigration in Canada they ask me to show also the return ticket.  But things do not work same way when people visit here.  If happend to you will be a very rare case.

Thank you, guys! I will not buy the return ticket then, as I am Brazilian and I am flying from Poland to Punta Cana, I can argue that I don't need a return ticket to Poland. Anyway, I will call the airline company to ask.

Thanks!

Not necessarily a Return ticket....

just a ticket out... to show you will be leaving

Yes, you can argue all you want and will not win if questioned.  You need a ticket out of here to anywhere else!

I have heard of buying a cheap ticket to Pto Rico
in order to comply

Any ticket anywhere works. Others have bought a refundable ticket and canceled it on arrival.

Just buy a fully refundable  ticket out of the DR if you get asked about having a ticket out of the country. Then get the refund

I flew here from Vancouver one way in October and bought one way return to Canada last week...

AND to end this discussion -  The Law is very clear, if you are not a resident or citizen  the airline is responsible for making sure you have a RETURN TICKET. 

Further discussion is useless.  Buy a return ticket, dont' buy a return ticket, buy a refundable ticket.  Whatever,  you get caught you pay the price SIMPLE.

I am closing this topic as its been  discusses ad nauseum.

Closed