Hello guys - Newbie/Few questions

Hello guys

I'm thinking of moving to the Netherlands. I've been offered a job with a relocation package, health insurance and benefits etc.

I want to know (and please be brutally honest)

My salary is 24k - the position is based in Maastricht area and full time/perm. Now, I've been looking at rent prices (which are quite frankly, scary as hell !) however, did find a few studios that were nice and cozy and a couple of professional shares which were reasonable prices etc. My question is, can I survive on that wage for two people? It will be me and my boyfriend making the move. We have some cash saved up (not loads, but a decent amount) and a relocation package also. So could two people survive on that wage for the short term, until my boyfriend could find a job?

Also, can someone please help with the calculation of this salary and tax? I've put the amount in 3 different tax calculators and got 3 different figures. One factored in tax credit, the other didn't mention it and the third one...well, i think the third one is on crack due to the numbers it was spitting out! lol Keep in mind my insurance is paid by my employer, so that's one less expense.

Can anyone give me a realistic view of the cost of living for a normal, basic couple in Maastricht? I've looked at various threads, websites and once again, getting all sorts of weird and wonderful numbers. Not so much food, as we live on pasta anyway....very lazy couple in the kitchen haha but for rent/bills and that sort of thing.

We've been to the Netherlands loads of times and love the country. Obviously one doesn't think about these sorts of things whilst on holiday, so I'm hoping you guys can give me a realistic picture of whether we could manage or not on such a wage (please be honest, as I don't want to make a mistake and then regret it if we can't make ends meet). But also, please keep in mind we're a boring couple that spend most of our time at home watching tv anyway. We don't drink or party...we're a pair of 60yr old 28yr olds :D lol

Neither of us speak fluent Dutch, although have been learning for a while. My boyfriend is a nurse, so his skills are in high demand there. I'm unsure whether the skills is more important than the language barrier, but I guess we'll see.

Thank you for reading and any replies you guys give <3

Hi boring couple  :D

Welcome on board to this site.

From what I understand is your wage is bruto, so this is exclusive taxes.
Did you looked for houses in Maastricht? Don't!!!
Its very expensive, try to find something in the area. Or you can look at the housing section on this blog.
It is in the green banner above the page, if you cant find which is suitable for you, you can add as well.

For taxes etcetera you can check the sticky link "New to Holland" on the main page of this forum.
If you cant find the info you need, let me know and I try to find a link for you.

Happy searching!

Hi Prim,

Yes it is exclusive of taxes, but I can't get a clear figure on what it is I'll actually be paying in taxes. I've tried a couple of tax calculations, and all of them have given different figures (hundreds of euros apart) so I haven't got a clue. Some factor in tax credits, some don't and some are just on crack I think with the amount of numbers they are putting out at the end of the calculation. The Links you suggested at from 2013 and one of the pages won't load (I think it was removed). I've been looking at expatax.nl/calculations/grosstonet/gross-net.htm and put 24000 in there and it says I will get 1600 (give or take a little) per month, after taxes. But someone else I asked said I would only get 1250 after taxes, so I haven't got a clue. All these rules and social security (which is also ridiculous considering you need to buy private health care on top! - Good thing my employer pays for it) I'm just so confused. I did call the dutch embassy and they told me to look online, even though I explained I have been doing and still can't get the info I need *bangs head against a wall*

I've looked mainly at studio apartments and professional shares. All of which are stupid prices (can get one cheaper in London!) - But, I do LOVE the Netherlands, so I'll keep looking and looking and hopefully find something suitable within budget :-D

Be glad when all this crap is over and done with (if i do take the job) and can just enjoy life in the Netherlands :-D

Thanks for your reply

Strange indeed that one link is not working.

Anyway, I saw that you need the first link and then the sub par. taxes.

Hi Prim,

Thanks again for your reply :-)

I managed to get most of the info I wanted from various places. I wondered if you might be able to help me with this quote I have please? I've put 24000 in tax calculator and it says I'll get a net of 1590 per month, after taxes. The calculator factors in tax credit and labour tax credit. Would I be entitled to both of these? Or did I make a mistake? Because without the tax credit, the net pay is 1250 euro a month. I'm a bit confused.

Before I answer you I want to check it by myself.  Can you send me the link or can you give me more information about what kind of taxes you are talking about?