How to register a marriage to a Brazilian citizen outside Brazil

@abthree it sounds like you may be able to answer this question....  My partner and I documented a stable relationship, which allowed me to get permanent residency in Brasil.  By my understanding, a stable relationship is equivalent to a marriage in Brasil.  Do you know if it would be recognized in the U.S. and, if so, is there any reason why we would want to have it recognized in the U.S.?  She is very Brazilian and, while she likes to visit the U.S., has no desire to live there but I don't want her to miss out on anything that might be useful.

02/09/23 @timhoffnagle.  If at some point you two wanted to move to the US, it appears that you would qualify as "spouses" under US Immigration law, since Brazilian law recognizes uniões estáveis (see "What is a 'Spouse'?":

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel … k-3.html#2

Since you don't want to live in the US and don't plan to, the only other reason that I can think you might want your relationship to be recognized in the US would be for inheritance purposes.  If this is a concern for you, I would recommend contacting the office responsible for marriages in the county where your property is and/or where you last lived -- in most states but not all it would be the County Clerk -- and ask what the process is for recognizing your relationship.  If it's a state that legally recognizes "Domestic Partnerships" or "Civil Unions" for opposite-sex partners, you'll probably be able to fit right in under that law.  If not, you may be able to achieve similar results with a will.

If neither of those situations apply but you want to make occasional visits to the US, your partner can do that with a Tourist Visa.  My husband has been visiting the US on one since 2014.  Once the Brazilian partner builds up a list of compliant visits in the Immigration database, s/he gets waved on through once they scan the passport.