Why is it difficult for foriegner to assimilate into VN culture

yttocs wrote:

There must be sheep in Vietnam because there are a lot of sheep shaggers there; ever seen one of those?

Every time I look in the mirror , apparently, but unlike some tossers on this site, Kiwi's can laugh at themselves, and not take everything so serious, ( I wonder if because someone looks French, it makes them act French ? )

Not unless you have a flock of ducks that you want to rent out !!

Dont knock it untill you tryed it !!

Jeff Brewster wrote:

Not unless you have a flock of ducks that you want to rent out !!

Yes Jeff, they certainly would feel " superior ' to a flock of ducks, ( probably the only " Army " , they could beat? )

Jeff Brewster wrote:

Dont knock it untill you tryed it !!

Back on topic, I think they prefer goats?, I've seen very few of them here. ( seen plenty of people who act like them though ).

Im worried now as ive got 29 goats,

Jeff Brewster wrote:

Im worried now as ive got 29 goats,

I think your safe in Nha Trang, the Russians would even been to drunk to want to molest your goats.

Yes in D1 its f#ck a rooster

The problem is the goats are better looking than the Russian women...

Jeff Brewster wrote:

The problem is the goats are better looking than the Russian women...

Isn't that why they drink so much vodka?

Ha ha ha , its probebly got a lot to do with it.

Jeff Brewster wrote:

Ha ha ha , its probebly got a lot to do with it.

I can't believe my vast collection of jokes, hasn't got any Russian ones in it,  ( have vid clips , and pics only, but don't want to start posting pic's on here ).

Any pheasant pluckers around ...... :lol:

And that my friend s is why Viet men drink rice wine

colinoscapee wrote:

Mark, maybe you should be asking the Muslims in countries such as France,America,england and Australia why they want to change things so much in their adopted countries. What happens here as debate is nothing like what Muslims are trying to achieve

the frogs cant have piggy banks for the kids to save their coins, the poms can't wear their religeous icons on the out side of their clothes, fleas don't have international bounderies, middle eastern peoples are the worst for taking excess baggage, I know there is a lot of rubbish in the  street but how come the streets are clean in the morning? Vietnam IS a developing country the open door policy encourages change and it will happen slowly. Australia had slip slop slap to reduce sun burn cancer then we had " bin it" and now we have clean up Australia day, to educate others,things like this don't happen over night and moaning in our adopted countries in the silence of a web forum won't change anything fast, lead be example, a foreigner picking up rubbish will probably have more "shame" impact than any thing. as far as the goods that Viets use, what parameters make them "western" being as most of the stuff mentioned is made locally?. it's westerners going around causing envy, showing off their wealth that causes the problem, descretion is the better part  of valour

mark stutley wrote:

the frogs cant have piggy banks for the kids to save their coins, the poms can't wear their religeous icons on the out side of their clothes, fleas don't have international bounderies, middle eastern peoples are the worst for taking excess baggage, I know there is a lot of rubbish in the  street but how come the streets are clean in the morning? Vietnam IS a developing country the open door policy encourages change and it will happen slowly. Australia had slip slop slap to reduce sun burn cancer then we had " bin it" and now we have clean up Australia day, to educate others,things like this don't happen over night and moaning in our adopted countries in the silence of a web forum won't change anything fast, lead be example, a foreigner picking up rubbish will probably have more "shame" impact than any thing. as far as the goods that Viets use, what parameters make them "western" being as most of the stuff mentioned is made locally?. it's westerners going around causing envy, showing off their wealth that causes the problem, descretion is the better part  of valour

Surely you jest Mark.
Westerners going around showing off their wealth?
Where do you see this exactly?
The Bentleys getting around town?Or the $20,000USD ++ motorbikes cruising in the city on a work day? Or perhaps the bars that charge $7 for a beer or a restaurant that needs a 2 day advance booking?
Western expats live mostly humble lives.
They don't 'show off their wealth' because that attracts unwanted attention from thieves and vagabonds.
They work during the day and often nights and Saturdays too.
Western expats are NOT the causation of envy.
American advertising and American entertainment industry is the influence.

Try this experiment-
The next 5 flash cars you see,go and look at the passengers/driver.Are they  "Westerner'?
The next time you see a group of expensive bikes(or even just one bike) pulled up at the stop light,have a look at their faces,Are they all 'westerners'?
Go to 2 most expensive nightclubs you can find,go inside and look at the patrons.Are they all 'westerners'?
Then come back with your report about the Westerners showing their wealth.

Foreigners assimilate in the way they feel comfortable.

I usually have no problems assimilating into other cultures as long as I don't speak or understand the local language.  :lol:

Totally agree Jimbream, maybe my Air Blade worth 2000 USD is flaunting wealth.

colinoscapee wrote:

I ride around with a big cage on the back of my Future, they must feel sorry for me, probably think I have to try and make a living catching dogs, ( mine is usually in the cage ).

colinoscapee wrote:

Your Air Blade per se?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_fc7SsiuL7NE/SMLXgyWzfiI/AAAAAAAAAyE/ThSJfEWpDnQ/s400/honda+air+blade+(4).jpg

jimbream wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Your Air Blade per se?

[img align=c]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_fc7SsiuL7NE/SMLXgyWzfiI/AAAAAAAAAyE/ThSJfEWpDnQ/s400/honda+air+blade+(4).jpg[/url]

That would look really good with my dog cage on the back, maybe the wife might even get on it with me again.

Many heads turn when im crusing around on my motorbike, normaly from the sound of back fireing from the exaust. I can see the envey in the locals eyes as i leave them behind, in a load of smoke and carbornoxyide. I never take it out at night, not because i dont want it stolen, but because i havent got any lights. Funny, not even the beggers ask me for money once the see what im riding. Im hoping they will have a wip round and buy me a couple of tyers. You never know your luck in a big city.

Jeff Brewster wrote:

Many heads turn when im crusing around on my motorbike, normaly from the sound of back fireing from the exaust. I can see the envey in the locals eyes as i leave them behind, in a load of smoke and carbornoxyide. I never take it out at night, not because i dont want it stolen, but because i havent got any lights. Funny, not even the beggers ask me for money once the see what im riding. Im hoping they will have a wip round and buy me a couple of tyers. You never know your luck in a big city.

Sounds like you own a classic Vespa.

Do you weave all over the road from the poor handling,thus scaring off the working class?
Or your 20 kilo,6 month Bull Mastiff on the floorboards is barking at the peasants?

No, but i do spend a small fortune on gaffa tape.

Gaffa tape should only be used on guinea pigs!!!

I dont know what make it is, as the rust has ate the paint away. I did start to wash it about 18 months ago, but i gave that up as bits was starting to fall of. To start it i have to kick it as the electric star, gave up long ago, got no electrics on it at all. If i was driving this around in London, i would end up in jail for six months. I could go out and buy a Harly, and ride that about, but i would look a bigger Twat than i do now.

Happy8888 wrote:

Gaffa tape should only be used on guinea pigs!!!

http://kizaz.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/richard-gere-gerbil.jpeg

bluenz wrote:
jimbream wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Your Air Blade per se?

[img align=c]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_fc7SsiuL7NE/SMLXgyWzfiI/AAAAAAAAAyE/ThSJfEWpDnQ/s400/honda+air+blade+(4).jpg[/url]

That would look really good with my dog cage on the back, maybe the wife might even get on it with me again.

Fixed it!
No more 'Western envy' and no more police matters.
Assimilate into VN culture

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-B43P7kfncnw/TvyqrgAyMNI/AAAAAAAAAH0/MQlYkJctwx4/s1600/Savannah+Crate.jpg

jimbream wrote:
bluenz wrote:
jimbream wrote:

Your Air Blade per se?

Fixed it!
No more 'Western envy' and no more police matters.
Assimilate into VN culture

[img align=c]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-B43P7kfncnw/TvyqrgAyMNI/AAAAAAAAAH0/MQlYkJctwx4/s1600/Savannah+Crate.jpg[/url]

Wow, a bit flash for VN?  Unfortunately I'm not allowed to use my trailer , ( only place in VN were they are banned? ), has to go on the back of the bike.

I love it here simply because the sum of the parts adds up to a whole lot more
And I dont think too deeply about it or try to change it
I accept it for what it is... bureaucracy and all

I enjoy irony and Monty Python in equal doses

Yes, you are very correct in your thoughts; the previous person may have been, too, but perhaps just not intending to explain himself the way in which you understood him to mean what he appeared to be saying.

There is indeed some merit in what you say, however, the very point of travelling somewhere is to experience and enjoy a new culture, whilst at the same time "contributing new ideas" from wherever one has travelled (NOT necessarily from your own country, but from anywhere one has met with new idea and ways).  This is an absolutely natural and I believe honourable element of the philosophy of cultural engagement.. The FACT is that ALL cultures are deeply flawed and need improvement, and absolutely, some need more improvement than others!!  All cultures also advance and are influenced by outside forces to varying degrees.  Nothing wrong with contributing and being helpful!!!

Otherwise the Vietnamese would never have adopted the motorcycle or the refrigerator (technologies from other cultures) and recently the Smart Phone - one of which I don't even use!!

colinoscapee wrote:

The Muslims here were told in no uncertain manner, play up and cause any shit and your out.

so the party does get some things right

paulmichaelcoleman wrote:

There is indeed some merit in what you say, however, the very point of travelling somewhere is to experience and enjoy a new culture, whilst at the same time "contributing new ideas" from wherever one has travelled (NOT necessarily from your own country, but from anywhere one has met with new idea and ways).  This is an absolutely natural and I believe honourable element of the philosophy of cultural engagement.. The FACT is that ALL cultures are deeply flawed and need improvement, and absolutely, some need more improvement than others!!  All cultures also advance and are influenced by outside forces to varying degrees.  Nothing wrong with contributing and being helpful!!!

Otherwise the Vietnamese would never have adopted the motorcycle or the refrigerator (technologies from other cultures) and recently the Smart Phone - one of which I don't even use!!

good to see some one with clear sightedness, it would seem from what i read on other forums that Vietnam is one of the fastest developing nations in the area and the most progressive with the adoption of new ideas, how long ago was it that xpats couldn't buy their home?

Don't see what this has to do with the post. It is about foreigners assimilation in Vietnam  not the other way  round. Comment on the post.

I think the post is more about people complaining about vn rather than a positive contribution.

newbie here! I took me a while to "assimilate" what is written here :)
please use simple words to help me ass... oops understand better.

Mark, expats still cant just go out and buy a house here, a certain critera must be met before doing so. This is why so many expats rent as its just too difficult to buy.

mikeymyke wrote:

Yeah I know most Vietnamese live under one roof together with their families and pool their expenses.  But even with a salary like $200-$300, its really difficult to even just save up for emergency expenses, big ticket items, etc. 

I would love to live in VN someday, but if I do, I wouldn't want to buy a house, I don't mind renting forever because I don't trust giving the Viet govt my money.

and for $ 10/ n in a hotel, fully service inc b/fast and no power bill no water bill  why would any one (single)

witty12 wrote:

Don't see what this has to do with the post. It is about foreigners assimilation in Vietnam  not the other way  round. Comment on the post.

I wouldn't stress too much about digression from the topic, It's a bit late for that now, read the previous comments to see how far it has been off the rails,it's the same with most blogs  :dumbom: