Buying and selling gold

Does anyone know a reputable place to buy and sell gold in HCMC?

Gold bars, gold jewelry, gold coins? There are a ton of gold shops in HCMC so unless you know them personally, it's a crap shoot. Expecting a referral from a forum is also a crap shoot.

Look for places full of locals, and take a local with you when you go shopping for shiny. Gold jewellery here is very close to spot prices, none of the fantastical markup you get in the West, as long as you avoid fancy brand names in malls etc. Vietnamese like their gold, I wouldn't want to be a retailer who was found to be ripping off their customers...

FWIW, I had a necklace that I bought in VN assayed by a jeweller I trust in England and it was bang on the advertised 18k. Most jewellery here seems to be 24k which I don't personally like for daily wear, but eh, if the girlfiend wants...

And the spread if you want to sell back is much tighter here too.  :)

edit: pay cash, all the places I've used will accept plastic, but you'll pay a few % extra

Go with a local or DON'T Go.

but then this advice works on 90% of everything in Vietnam.

Gold price in VN is 10% higher than outside. Gold 18k is bigger gap between sell & buy even the same shop.

Sean425 wrote:

Does anyone know a reputable place to buy and sell gold in HCMC?

Yes, Cambodia.

I had forgotten his handle…..but tunnelrat69 is the gold czar here on the forum. Read a bit about Vietnam and gold and it will tell you a lot. But he has real world experience at it.