For all you smokers out there, I need help!!!

Quick question, where do I buy smoking paraphernalia here? Like rolling papers and pipes... Google wasn't very helpful -.-

I haven't seen anyone roll anything here possibly because smokes are so cheap, exception is some of the backpackers who seem to carry thee with them. Will let you know if i come across any.

Thanks, Ashard, I really just wanna get a pipe, but if anyone has 10 or so spare rolling papers from their own collection, I'd be happy to pay for em. 5-10000 VND depending on the size. Just saying, lol, I'm hella desperate.

You can get rolling paper around Pham Ngu Lau. You'll see the portable cigarette stands and they have them or the young boys or girls with the cigarette suitcases that sell cigarettes.

As for pipes I've only seen the wooden souvenir ones.

cheeha wrote:

You can get rolling paper around Pham Ngu Lau. You'll see the portable cigarette stands and they have them or the young boys or girls with the cigarette suitcases that sell cigarettes.

As for pipes I've only seen the wooden souvenir ones.

Oh shizz, I was just there today, where were you an hour ago :D

Papers here are expensive compared to packets of cigarettes.
small costs about the same as a packet of cigarettes, large costs around 25,000vnd per packet. that's if you buy them from a stall and not one of touts. From them you can expect to pay 30++

I don't usually buy cigarettes from here, since my dad travels alot for work and I always bum some off him. The ciggies here are proly just as bad as counterfeit ones overseas. What's a tout, d'you think they have like one of those tobacco shops that specialize in smoking paraphernalia, cigarillos and cigars? I've only got one swisher sweet left and really need the rolling papers. Sure, it might be a tad more expensive, but it's not unreasonable. I just need an address or smth instead of relying on street vendors that I might not be able to find on such short notice. I always get approached by the fake Ray Ban vendors, I've only ever seen those portable sidewalk stalls that sell cigarettes and nothing else.

Just wanna thank everyone for their input. I had my friend take me on a repeat trip to Pham Ngu Lao, found XL OCB rolling papers at a cigarette stall for 50k. Well worth it, even if it is slightly overpriced. Anyway, I'm content now, as for the pipe, I'll just get one in the summer when I go back home. Thanks, y'all!

Tout = street sellar typically around backpacker area.

Not sure for pipes anywhere in town, but cigars there is a place called Humidor (google will thow it up) but its on the bottom of hte Sunwah building. They carry some nice cigars :)

bohemian_rhapsody wrote:

XL OCB rolling papers at a cigarette stall for 50k.

I get two packs for that price! Even in the backpacker area. Small stall at the just up from Crazy Buffalo.

That's where I got the papers from!! It's all good tho, I just don't trust any of the cigarettes here, just ran out of duty free ciggies but had some tobacco left over and needed rolling papers. Sure, smoking is bad enough as it is, but I'd like to limit my chances with rat poison, arsenic or whatever crap you're likely to find here.

Oh you got the papers, i was gonna say i have many left, you could have mine haha. I'm crap at rolling so i gave up..

They better not be Rizla :O

Nope, some weird super long papers in a black box..even the filters are big

you can found close to Pacharan restaurant in d1.

Get small OCB's , they are thinner than others you can buy here,
from the coffee stand on the right at the end of bui vien D.1, ( opp. hanh phuoc happy hotel) for 15 ooo vnd a pack , also good coffee there for 10000 vnd. Also If your into tennis, and not too good, I'm looking for a partner for mornings.from 9am to 11ish cost is 40000vnd per hour per court.

Cheers
John

Oh just noticed the comment about tobacco quality in Vietnam, well I guess your right about droppings and poison lol, but Mild Seven are Japanese and they have the most stringent tobacco laws in the world, as far as additives etc. However; they are made under licence here in HCMC. Just hope the Japanese monitor the factory!
Cheers
John

Thanks for your input, and the offer, John, but I'm a crap badminton player, and worse at tennis. I'm bad at pretty much any sport that involves the use of balls. (That's what she said moment, ugh)

Good Christ, isn't there enough smoking here already?  For me, it's the #1 hardest thing about living here, by a mile.

A lot of people hate the smell of cigarettes, for me it's worse, I'm allergic to it.  One good whiff and I have a splitting headache and my nose seals shut.  Prolonged exposure and the headache can last two weeks.

And nobody in Vietnam is aware that some people don't like it.  We go to a restaurant between mealtimes, mostly empty tables, take one far away from anyone, some old guy come in, rushes over to the nearest chair at the nearest table, and before he's adjusted his butt in the seat he's lighting up.

There are some new places in Can Tho that attract a more genteel crowd, laptops and iPad, no smoking and none of that damned yelling, but they are very few and far between.  Go to a restaurant with a nonsmoking room & air conditioner, a guy pulls out a cigarette and instead of reminding him where he is, the waiter rushes over to light it for him. 

It's disappointing seeing foreigners coming here and just bringing more.

Hi.
You can take XE OM to THI NGHE market .The Lady right the corner sell roll paper , you can ask her where to sell the stand.
REGARD.
lOAN.

:|

Thanks, Mark, but what's PNL? Is that a café??

PNL = Pham Ngu Lao street
;)

Ahh thanks,shoulda known haha

No problem.

@ChrisFox. We tried to show and tell them how things should be done up until April 30, 1975.  The net result was 55,000+ dead Americans, about 2,000,000+ dead Vietnamese. Our alllies had  their own losses, as well.  They don't care if  you llike cigarettte smoke, or not!  Find the places you like amd stick with them, because you're fighting a losing battle if you think you're going to set anyone here straight. They don't want to hear it from us any more than the average American wants  an immigrant's opinion about social issues there.

If you need something to be disappointed about, try 19,000,000 gallons of Agent Orange and tons upon tons of unexploded bombs.  Our country trashed this place and then ran yelping  like a scalded dog back across the Pacific, leaving quite a mess behind.

Oh, I think they reserve the right to yell as much as they wish.  The language is tonal and can get loud.  Again, it's their country.

Wow, that's a pov I can really respect. I'd just like to add that, as a whole, our culture is pretty malleable, so this economic development will bring about some significant Westernization, for better or for worse. Smoking's already banned in most places with AC anyways, what's the complaint?

Forget the cig... just smoke weed ;)

You'll find any roll paper (and contents) at Bui Dien /De Than
Search the mummie...