Studying for Masters in KSA

Hello to all,

Is there a uni. in KSA that will accept expats to study for their Masters?  Any info would be helpful.

I am thinking something in the lines of what I did here in the states - work during the day, study at night.

Thanks in advance.

Expats can do graduate studies in all universities in SA, both private and public, as long as they pay.  Problem is, I am not sure if single women can come from outside the country to study here.  I doubt there is any visa category for them (men can, but men are far superior to women here, with respect to legal issues).  I am assuming you are single.  In case you are married, it might be possible, but I strongly suspect it is not.  Thing is, foreigners in general don't come to this country to study (because of the low quality of education), and definitely not women.  The only exceptions to that are men coming here to study religion, and both men and women coming to study at KAUST, which is basically the King's own private property.  The laws of the country do not apply there.  It is the only co-ed university, and men and women can mix freely there, women do not have to wear an abaya, and they can drive as well.  It is a graduate only university, offering Master's and Doctorate's in 11 science and technology fields.  By the way, it is free, and moreover, you get a stipend plus free furnished housing!

What do you want to study?  The only option for you is basically KAUST.  Look at its website.

And you want to work here while studying?  No no no, this is not happening.  First of all, as far as I know, there is no student visa for females (except at KAUST) here, and even if there is, you can't work at the same time.  To work you need a work visa.  Forget about the law and rules regarding work and study in the US or in Europe.  This is a very different country.

What you could do, however, is come here on a work visa (quite difficult and unlikely for a single woman, unless you have some special skills or education already), and then enroll yourself in a university as well.  Again, it is nearly impossible to pull this off.

If you tell us what you want to study, I could give you other options in nearby countries.  Any specific reason you want to come here?

I would come on a work visa, to teach English. I want to, additionally, complete my masters without going the online route.

My field would generally be TESOL, however, I also have a background in Public Admin as well. I have no studies in hard sciences.

I understand that it may be difficult but not impossible. That little hope is what I need to venture about

rareshine wrote:

I would come on a work visa, to teach English. I want to, additionally, complete my masters without going the online route.

I would like to know too if there is any possibility. Online learning is very popular nowadays but I'd still prefer the traditional classroom learning if given a chance. Im set to sign up at Walden University for their MS Nursing in Leadership & Management once I've settled in Makkah inshaAllah. Still looking for possibilities though if the program is offered in the Kingdom.

Trapezius wrote:

If you tell us what you want to study, I could give you other options in nearby countries.  Any specific reason you want to come here?

Hi Trapezius, would you like to help in finding a university offering online MBA preferably located in Bahrain/Dubai.
I am an expat but have no issues to travel for taking exams.

Wow .,n thanks of breefing it helpd me too .

Ehtesham, I doubt there are any unis offering online MBAs in the Middle East.

If you want to do an online MBA, do it from any of the dozens of UK universities that offer a distance learning MBA program.  There are several.  You will have to go 2-3 times during your program, and UK is not that far.  If you buy tickets early enough, you can fly for 2,000 return.

Trapezius wrote:

Ehtesham, I doubt there are any unis offering online MBAs in the Middle East.

If you want to do an online MBA, do it from any of the dozens of UK universities that offer a distance learning MBA program.  There are several.  You will have to go 2-3 times during your program, and UK is not that far.  If you buy tickets early enough, you can fly for 2,000 return.

Don't forget, Trap, the myriad of online courses available in the US, if he can get accepted - which for many is only limited by the students ability to pay.... ;)   With that caveat out there, there are many excellent brick & mortar schools with highly rated and accepted online programs.  He doesn't tell us his field of study but I was considering Norwich University but decided to go with Univ of PA for my grad work.  Their online program was no joke!   :dumbom:   Many late nites reading and studying...which is what I expected.

R

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

Dear Sister,

I praise and salute your ambition to acquire education and pray to Almighty God that you do succeed in your plans. I would like to share my advise too.

1) Online MBA ( or any other degree for that matter) is always looked upon with a lot of suspicion by prospective employers, probably because it has been misused by many. Therefore I do not really recommend that it adds any real value on your CV,

2) Some universities in the UK offer a "modular program" for example Bradford University where you attend the University full time for 8 to 10 weeks each year for three years , this is followed by " dessertation" which you could submit while residing even outside the UK. Please bear in mind that the complete course will cost you in access of 15,000 Pounds in tution fees alone.

3) Some of my friends have recently been sending their kids to Germany. Firstly there is no tution fees in Germany, secondly you are given a chance to live and work there after completion of your education by acquiring a blue card (please email me in case you desire more info), and most importantantly, you open a door to a new language, rich culture and a wonderful world of science and technology.

At the end let me clarify to all readers the I am not a full time, part time or an " on- commission" employee of any German organisation and I have no vested financial or other interest in offering this advice.

Wishing you good luck.

Maa shaa Allah Sis. I am also planning to take  my masters online once I am settled in Makkah too. In shaa Allah. Now that it has been years since this post, I wonder how did it go? Is it feasible while you are working in SFH?

lina0574 wrote:
rareshine wrote:

I would like to know too if there is any possibility. Online learning is very popular nowadays but I'd still prefer the traditional classroom learning if given a chance. Im set to sign up at Walden University for their MS Nursing in Leadership & Management once I've settled in Makkah inshaAllah. Still looking for possibilities though if the program is offered in the Kingdom.

I forgot to quote this in my reply above. I hope it went well Sis Lina. :)

@ rareshine - A good friend of mine has done MBA from one of the well reputed UK University in Blended Learning Model. Once he graduated, he got his degree also attested from Saudi Embassy and Cultural Office in UK.

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Please share personal contact infos only in private.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hey rareshine :)

I am doing my online masters degree at university of liverpool. Was not as easy as expected. If you need any details about it please dm me.

When i was first started working here i thought that i could do the credit transfer for my master with university here. Unfortunately from the survey i did single woman is not allowed to enrol unless their mahram presence in saudi as well. Well, i had no choice but to complete my 2 subjects on my own. Luckily my university have choices of  online study as well. That was my first time study online and i could conclude it requires extra efforts from you to learn and understand the subject alone without any guidance from your coursemate or lecturer. Even the lecturer always welcome you to email them in regard of ur subjects but still the input was not the same as face to face lesson. At least for me..