Has anyone experience of learning two languages simultaneously

Hello all, I'm looking for some advice and was wondering if there are any language learners out there who could help me…

I have just returned from a French language course in France, a final part of my degree which has consolidated all what I learnt and left me more or less fluent. It has fired my passion for language learning so much so that I am not only considering languages as a career but also considering learning another language. But this is what worries me, I don't know whether it really is a good idea or not. I certainly don't want to lose my French level! Considering one of my main interests is Italy, I thought about learning Italian – but slowly and steadily, whilst keeping up the French too. For this I was considering taking a viaggi di studio Montreal which would basically be going to an Italian school but in a French speaking city. So though the main focus on my language learning trip would be Italian (given that it is the new, target language), I would be mixing with French people (and so practising French) outside of class hours. Furthermore, I was considering giving one to one English lesson to French (or Italian!) speaking people as a way to earn money and a way to meet and mix with people.
What worries me is that the two languages are relatively similar and so I don't know if this would be a help or a hindrance…

If anyone has experience of learning two languages simultaneously, please do let me know how you manage and differentiate between the two! I'd hate to try for both and end up with none!

Aishia,

You have chosen the right setting for further developing of your languages, for it is better to be in the native land in which the language is spoken and the plus is that you are being thought by (probably) a French speaking teacher. For me after the second one the others came easier.

Rodz
(3 Languages Fluently, understand 5 in total and on my way to Dubai. I will most likely pick up one more)

Hi Aisha,

I agree that the best way to learn a language is to live in a  country where it is spoken as a native language or as the 'adage' goes, marry it (sleep with it).

By circumstance, I speak 4 languages (one of which I married) in various degrees of fluency and read one more (I can't speak Swedish but due to my knowledge of Danish, understand it). Within months of learning Danish and when I was just beginning to be fluent;), I had to learn Spanish (for a post). I thought it was too soon but afterwards realized that the 2 languages are totally different, there was no room for confusion. You can say I learned my basic Spanish in Danish (does that make sense :rolleyes:) I keep my Danish by being active in the Danish community here.

My son (13 yo) on the other hand speaks 5 languages fluently and has no problem switching from one to the other, except in writing. Since Danish and Swedish are so close, he sometimes would use a word spelled in Swedish in the middle of his Danish sentence and vice versa (He's Danish / Filipino but studies in the Swedish School here in Nicaragua). I also know someone who injects Italian words into his Spanish but am not sure if he does it deliberately.

Some people have a head for languages and I don't know how they do it. We have friends who speak 5 or more languages fluently (effortlessly), though I'm nowhere near their ability to learn languages, the one thing we have in common is that we all learned them at post. The key I think is immersion - to be totally immersed in the language - the Ministry sends us to appropriate countries to study depending on what type of Spanish we need to learn (in our case, Costa Rica)- ex. Spanish in Central America is different from South America and Castellano in pronunciation, accent, vocabulary, etc. You may want to think about studying in Italy (since it's one of your main interests anyway) while keeping French (speaking) company, that way you still speak French and do everything else in Italian. In my experience, everywhere I go, there is always a big French (speaking) community. I would love to have a reason (like yours) to live in Italy for awhile.

I must admit your plan also sounds solid and as there doesn't seem to be any rush to learn Italian (slowly and steadily), why not strengthen your French (some more) by giving yourself time in Montreal prior to enrolling in language school, that way it would be harder to be confused unlike when it's still so fresh. As long as you regularly speak both languages, you will still end up with both. Your knowledge of French would surely help you learn Italian. Goodluck.

I am bad at learning languages honestly, and I am learning two simultaneously, from scratch..Catalan and Spanish.  My head sometimes wants to split open, by the same token I am making progress.  I do focus more on one language than the other, the one I use most often in my day to day life, as it was put above, the one I am more immersed in...in my case Catalan...it is hard but good.  Just keep using the French...papers, radio, websites etc etc, it is much easier to keep a language up these days with online TV and radio as well as chat groups etc.
Good luck

Share your expat experience and get in touch with other members

OR