Travel Insurance for Expats

We all see the Advertisements Expat insurance on the site.  From my review of this and other sites I take it that the employer provided coverage is only valid while physically in KSA.  Is that correct?

If not, what does everyone do for vacation and holiday travel.  I've researched several carriers and am hesitant to sign up for anything until I arrive in Jeddah.  Also, does anyone know when the coverage takes effect for dependents?  If my wife and daughter don't join me until this summer yet I start now is their medical and dental coverage valid before they arrive?

Yes, I have presented these questions to my HR department but as of yet have received no response.

Thanks,

Rigger

Insurance is only valid in KSA except for emergencies (which sucks when you spend time in the US). I actually just checked on this as I would love to get prescriptions filled in the US for medications that I can't find here while I am there, but they won't pay for them....

I think our insurance started like 30 or 60 days after my husband started. Though each insurance company may be different. I am assuming since your also talking with your HR that it is company provided which means you get what they offer and there are really no choices.

For your kids in the states you might want to set them up on their own plan there or if they are in college sometimes there is an insurance plan you can get through the school.

stressedmom wrote:

Insurance is only valid in KSA except for emergencies (which sucks when you spend time in the US). I actually just checked on this as I would love to get prescriptions filled in the US for medications that I can't find here while I am there, but they won't pay for them....

I think our insurance started like 30 or 60 days after my husband started. Though each insurance company may be different. I am assuming since your also talking with your HR that it is company provided which means you get what they offer and there are really no choices.

For your kids in the states you might want to set them up on their own plan there or if they are in college sometimes there is an insurance plan you can get through the school.

For now, the family will be covered by my wife's state coverage as a teacher.  I'll keep digging on the travel insurance questions and see if anyone else has any ideas.

Trap probably hasn't seen this yet....  ;)

You will be class A, or maybe even gold.  In either case, your insurance will cover your medical expenses when abroad up to the customary charges inside the country.  Make sure you get full doctors' notes with diagnosis and treatment written down when abroad, and not just receipts.  When back here, bring all documentation with you and hand it over to the person responsible for insurance in HR, and you will be refunded within a couple of weeks.  I got my wife's dental bills from the UK and daughter's MRI in Mauritius refunded when I returned to work.  I do believe the only things which are covered upfront are medical emergencies and evacuations when abroad, but let's hope one never needs the use of that facility!

As for dependents, I do not know, but logically, they can't be covered until they arrive here.

Trapezius your insurance company must be better than mine since they have told me no except for emergencies. I hope for Rigger's sake he has a company more like yours than mine.

Which provider do you have?  Mine is BUPA.  I would suggest looking at the benefits sheet that came in the pack that your card came in.  If you don't have that, call the toll free number at the back of the card and ask them.  I find it strange that your coverage doesn't include treatment outside the country.

We have Tawuniya. Unfortunately we were not given anything about the insurance except our cards as HR for my husband's company for Saudi is in Riyadh and they are completely unhelpful (really trying not to say inept). I have only emailed before, but I will definitely try and call in the next few weeks to see if I get better results.

Forget about emailing companies/businesses in this country, it is hard enough getting customer service in person, let alone over the phone!  But, definitely call and inquire.  Or, even go visit one of their offices in Jeddah.  They might even have details of their plans on their website www.tawuniya.com.sa

Good luck!

My thanks to you all.  It's one of those things that it would be awesome if they just took care of themselves...   No choices, no plans, no anything.  Just fix my family when we're broke!

The mental pain now is trying to find a stand-alone plan for my 17yo who doesn't want to come to KSA.  He's going to be staying with family when we move to Saudi and trying to use the new Healthcare.Gov system is a PITA!  Pain in the ...

Argh.... :mad: