Saloon or an SUV?

Hi guys,

A million dollar question - when living in KSA, would you suggest a Saloon/Sedan or an SUV 4WD?:cool:

Some say doesn't really matter and others say it does; I am wondering whether my friends here on this forum could break it down a bit for me in-terms of the pros n cons & how much does it really matter?:rolleyes: Thanks.

If you ask me, it doesn't really matter, except if you're into off road driving or sand climbing which is popular here, and fuel isn't an issue of course, so its only a matter of personal tastes I suppose

Thanks Madmaz...say if I have to drive from Riyadh to either Jeddah or Bahrain, will that make a difference? I guess, we never  have to go off-road or on sand even on such long trips within the Kingdom?

Most people believe travelling in an SUV is more comfortable, however I owned a chevy lumina s and I just loved long distance drives, if you think you think you're gonna travel frequently between cities, then go for an SUV.

by the way, never buy a small car if you want to get a sedan... guess you know that already

The driving is crazy here, if you want people to stay away from you get the biggest thing you can :)

The driving is crazy here, if you want people to stay away from you get the biggest thing you can

:lol: good point Nelson, I didn't think of that! guess thats why SUVs win here :lol:

Saudi has wonderful off road driving opportunities, in the city its 6 of one & half a dozen of the other.  4wd bulkier & perhaps more likely to deter other drivers but saloon is more maneuverable so it's easier to get out of the way of people doing stupid things.

Nelson17 wrote:

The driving is crazy here, if you want people to stay away from you get the biggest thing you can :)

I agree... get an SUV. It feels safer to drive it on the roads! (of course, as a woman, I'll never drive, but I speak from my Qatar experience. Heard that Saudi in driving is worse than Qatar, so definitely get a 4x4.)

I drive an SUV now (because the company pays for it) and in my last position I had a new Toyota Camry (my company paid for it).

The questions are:

1) Who's footing the bill? 
2) Are you traveling with your family?
3) Who's paying for the gas/petrol (not that it's expensive.  It's about the price of bottled water back home)?
4) Where are you going to be doing a majority of your driving; Riyadh or elsewhere?

Personally, if it's just me, I prefer a sedan.  If I had my family and my company is taking care of my car, then an SUV for protection's sake.

If I was in Riyadh, an SUV.  The most dangerous drivers in KSA are the stock car drivers of Riyadh.

I don't drive and have to hire 'limos' from the compound to get around.  The few times I've been in an SUV here it has felt SO MUCH SAFER!!!

Plus going 'off-road' can be very difficult in a sedan.  Don't immediately think this is something you won't do--it's very popular here, if only to go hiking.

Since fuel is not a problem here (in the US, when I left, it was costing $80 or more to fill up the average SUV tank), I'd definitely go for the SUV.

Oh, and don't worry about parking. People in Riyadh just park where they want to :lol: so SUV/sedan .. no difference!

MisterStretch wrote:

The questions are:

1) Who's footing the bill? 
2) Are you traveling with your family?
3) Who's paying for the gas/petrol (not that it's expensive.  It's about the price of bottled water back home)?
4) Where are you going to be doing a majority of your driving; Riyadh or elsewhere?.

1) Company
2) With my wife
3) Self
4) I love doing long trips in my car...In last couple of years I have travelled in my car around Europe (France, Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Swiss, Luxembourg, Italy, Monaco & Austria) hence I love travelling & exploring cities & countries...
In my case, according to the replies from you all, I guess SUV would be a better option!

KSA is an excellent travel base and if you want to camp an SUV is good for carrying all the gear.  UAE, Oman, Lebanon, Syria, Jordan & Egypt are all options for driving holidays.  Plus lots of great off road trips to do in KSA.

Yo Oz,

Based on your responses. Get an SUV.

Agreed, Bigger = safer!

It is also worth noting that if you are single or in KSA without your family, legally you are not supposed to own an SUV or 4x4 vehicle...

Now, I will also add, that anything is possible in "The Magic Kingdom" and if you are single and REALLY  want an SUV or 4x4, be prepared to spend a few hundred extra SAR for the guy at the "agency" to take his cut and pay his friend at the traffic police to make this happen for you...

As with all dealings here, it is best to take a Saudi friend and have them broker the deal...

Oz

I agree with most of the posts on this site and would recommend an SUV.

I had exactly the same dilema a few months ago and used this reasoning;

If I'm in a sedan and one of these 'Monster Trucks' aka GMC Yukon etc (We all know the ones) hits me side on then my head is at about the same height as the offending car's fender.

Car - Head, Head - Car?...... There's only going to be one winner.

OK, so you can go driving in the desert etc but I would get an SUV with airbags everywhere!!!

The driving is really terrible in Riyadh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJupNDIKkEk

Yup! An SUV is the best choice here. And with the cheap petrol here i say go for a luxury one. :P

No doubt an SUV is much safer than a Sedan.

However, you have to assess the extra cash you have to pay against the value you get from the vehicle.

Millions of people do drive Sedans in here and their heads are still standing on their shoulders.

For those who like to go out into the desert on weekends the SUV will certainly be the right choice.