What citizenship info to use when opening a Paypal Account in Spain

Hi again people - hope you're all doing well.

I have a question :

While opening a paypal account in spain (to be able to withdraw money to my spanish bank account), it is asking me 'country of citizenship'.

Now, this is confusing me - i have residency and spanish nie, but i am not a spanish citizen. But, my address, bank account, everything will be my spanish ones.

Can anyone tell me which one should i use ?

Citizenship and residency are two different things. If they ask for your citizenship that's exactly what they want. Your residency they will already know by the address you give them.

As far as i know, paypal requires these information for financial matters, ranging from taxes to anti-money laundering procedures. Since i will be working and getting paid for what i do in spain, and paying taxes in spain, i thought residency information would be required instead of citizenship - since there is no relevance of citizenship because i wont be receiving money and paying taxes in the country i have the citizenship at.

They still want to know your citizenship too. If you tell them you think divulging your nationality to them is irrelevant you will most certainly NOT get an account.

If you have a Spanish account, why not just transfer the money on line from your non Spanish account.

I don't know what country you came from, but I still have an account in the UK and just transfer some money every month or so to my Spanish account on line.  It is virtually instantaneous.  I have a debit card with my Spanish account and still keep a debit card for my English Account.  Both are VISA, and the only time I have not been able to use them in a couple of years is to pay the insurance deposit for a hire car at the airport when I fly to the UK.

campogirl wrote:

If you have a Spanish account, why not just transfer the money on line from your non Spanish account.

I don't know what country you came from, but I still have an account in the UK and just transfer some money every month or so to my Spanish account on line.  It is virtually instantaneous.  I have a debit card with my Spanish account and still keep a debit card for my English Account.  Both are VISA, and the only time I have not been able to use them in a couple of years is to pay the insurance deposit for a hire car at the airport when I fly to the UK.

money comes to me through paypal account i already have. it will keep coming to a paypal account. paypal already cuts 3.5%. if i take it to my other bank account and do an international wire, it they will also cut 2% (santander) on receiving end. and a little more fixed expenses on each sides.

i take it that noone has experience with paypal on this issue then.

Hi

I don't know much about Paypal, having only used it as a guest on Ebay.  Can you run the account online and transfer online from Paypal.  If not it might pay anyway to change your account to a bank that has online banking, so you can keep up with your balances, transfer when you want etc.  From experience you have to pay any which way you transfer money.  The best way is to experiment and see which is cheapest.  Transferring and paying all the fees with the bank you are sending from, paying all the fees at the receiving bank if you can or half and half.

I find that the more I transfer at any time, the cheaper it works out as you pay per transaction plus a % of the transfer.

Sorry I cant help more.