Financing a B&B in Spain

Good morning all, I've landed here in my attempt to find information about a potential move to Spain from the UK.

My partner and I would like to open a B&B in Andalucia but I'm finding it difficult to find the right information. I have searched on here, with little luck. I'm sure my questions have been asked many times before so I apologise for the inevitable repetition.

Can anyone recommend a good source of information on financing a business in Spain? We will have £100000 or so in capital and will need at least double that I suspect, but I keep finding conflicting information about the amounts/LTV available for commerical mortgages and if the income of the business can be factored in (we intend it to be our main, if not quite entire, income).

Thank you all in advance.

Welcome to the Forum :)

I am not sure you will find the answer here, so my suggestion is to find an accountant and talk with a bank. It also might be a bit more troublesome for you since Brexit as you will now be treated as 3CN but not impossible.

Good Luck

SimCityAT
Expat Team

Can't advise on the financing but so far as setting up your B&B otherwise:

You will need to register with Turismo and will get a temporary licence until an inspector can call round, when you will get your permanent licence. If you are in a rural area, or a town with under 25K people, you can register as rural accommodation, otherwise may need to be able to offer any and all hotel services to get your licence. You will also need to register on the police website and update the website with guest details within 24 hours of guests arriving.  I let holiday rooms (I don't do B&B as it would mean getting my kitchen to industrial standards) and you do need good Spanish, or a friendly translator, to get through all start-up bureaucracy.

:cheers:

Thank you all for your responses, lots of good info to get me started.

When I had questions about filing an income tax return, I went to the website for the United States Embassy in Spain (we are retired here from America). I found a list of attorneys by specialty that are bi-lingual and can help with all sorts of things. You might try that....

Hello
I'll be moving to my home in Spain as a semi retired person, interested in investing in a serious project.
Let's chat soon. I'll be in Spain in July.
Cheers
Lmf

Hi
it is going to be tough. B&B implies a kitchen which implies food which implies "Certificate de manipulador de alimentos, and Hotel service which implies IVA (VAT) which implies "Autonomo" ....

Checking weather "Pension" is an alternative for you as it is just renting out rooms - no additional service -
Financing is complicated as banks want to have income or collateral, the potential income of the B&B will be disregarded as it has no proven history...

Check Google for "B&B for sale in Andalusia" to get a feel.  - Casa rural is a B&B in Galicia in the rest of Spain it is a rural house....

Generically search for "How to open a B&B in Andalusia" and/or "finance a B&B in Andalusia"
should bring up pñenty of valuable links.
To get around financing check if you can rent an existing one with the aim to take it over after xx years or find a business angel / silent partner.

The advice to find an accountant with experience and also a fluent Spanish speaker is sound as bureaucracy here in Spain can be hell.

Best of luck
M

If you serve only continental style breakfast you don't need a kitchen. Keep it to rolls, bread, croissants, cereal, milk, coffee, etc

Hi,
I moved to Spain from Ireland last July to set up a bar and restaurant in Ayamonte, close to Portugal border. This is a new business so it requires a building licence and opening licence.
To make a very  long story short, I still have not got licence approval. It's much simpler and easier if you are taking over an existing business and then only require a transfer of licence which is just a few hundred.
Regarding financing, I have done my banking with Sabadell for 4 years but they were not prepared to give a loan of any amount towards the project. They would consider a commercial mortgage only after 1 years trading figures. Same response from Santander.
Interested in hearing from potential investor?

If I were in your place, I would take a trip to visit an existing B and B which is far from where you want to open yours and sit down with them and ask as many questions as possible concerning opening a B and B.  First off, the owners will not be real busy as they have a lot of downtime during the day, as is the nature of an B and B, just sitting and keeping an eye on the place.  They will be more than happy to share information with you. Secondly, they will most likely be multi lingual being in the business, so communication channels will be wide open.  Give it a try and let me know how it goes.