Can wife work on husband's Iqama? Is this a transferable Visa?

Hi all,

My husband to be is due to start his new job in Jubail in January 2014. He has training for the first few months at a different location, and then once he has finally got settled in to the compound (Al Jude 2 I believe), I will be heading out to join him.

I understand that he will be the sponsor of my visa. I wish to get work whilst out there, is that possible when being sponsored by James on his visa? I imagine its not too uncommon for wives to get work when out n Saudi, but I want to make sure we are doing everything "by the book!"!

Also, how difficult is it for British women to find work in Jubail or neighbouring areas? I have much experience in admin and finance type work, and also previously completed a ESL online course so teaching English may be a route I would have to go down if admin/office work is a no go. I'm considering if it may be worth trying to do a CELTA qualification while I am still in the uk over the next few months, as I don't think my online TEFL will quite cut it for a half decent teaching job.

Any info or advice anyone can give me on wives working in Jubail, or Saudi in general would be much appreciated!

Sarah :-)

1) Yes you will need CELTA for teaching English at university.  Some local language schools might accept the online TEFL, but no way to know unless you ask them.

2) Hundreds of thousands of wives under their husbands' sponsorship have been working in Saudi for decades, but now for the first time the authorities are enforcing the rules.  If you want to work, you should be under the sponsorship of your employer.  One way to do that is to find a job in Jubail from the UK, and come under the sponsorship of your employer.  Another way to do it would be to come under your husband's sponsorship, find a job, and then transfer your sponsorship to your employer, but I don't know how easy that will be from now on, or indeed if it will even be possible anymore.  That would be the best option, but if that's not possible, another option would be to go on final exit after finding a job, and then reentering under the sponsorship of your employer.

3) If you were going to be in one of the big cities, finding a job in admin or finance would not have been too difficult, but in Jubail it is probably going to be very difficult.  Those in Jubail can advise.  And that's why you should do that CELTA!

Trapezius wrote:

Another way to do it would be to come under your husband's sponsorship, find a job, and then transfer your sponsorship to your employer, but I don't know how easy that will be from now on, or indeed if it will even be possible anymore.

Recent development in this regard: Wives now have to get permits from MoE (Ministry of Education) and then they are good to change their sponsorship to employers. A related (new) rule: If someohow someone loses her job, she'll be transferred back to her husband's residency.

Many thanks for your replies Trapezius and TheLegendLeads. It's much appreciated!

Will definitely look into doing the CELTA qualification but will ideally hope to find admin work. I understand through the employment schemes within Saudi to employ nationals seem to be prominent in this type of job though.

When job adverts say that they require a "transferable Iqama" what does this mean?

Hi Everybody :)

Please note that some inappropriate posts have been removed from this forum.

Thank you all for your contribution. :)

Priscilla
Expat.com team