New Member - One new specific question for the expat experts

Not to retell my story but.. quickly, I am a person with MS.  I am planning my first 6 month stay.  I have traveled frequently however; cruises, Las Vegas hotels, etc. I have found always have wheelchair accommodations (even for snorkeling on a catamaran) and as they are short stays, I have always rented;  However, I need to make sure I can get around the city..As mentioned before, I am bringing a fold able electric scooter (folds into a form that looks like a rolling briefcase).

This will be perfect for what I can see near my condo as a completely paved 2 block road to the small convenience store, pharmacy, and a few other shops nearby...

But, with your familiarity (PUNTA CANA, Cortecito Beach area), could anyone provide your opinion, experiences, etc. on whether or not I would have trouble with one of the types of transportation that have been mentioned (Guagas? Some type of Van that is public but not a bus?)...with drivers letting me bring the folded chair on board (would they allow a rolling briefcase?)...

If allowed, what is the cost of these transport types.  Please know I have searched Google in Spanish and find that all the super resorts have w/chair accomodations and the tours (much like my cruise experience) allow for persons with multitudes of disabilities..

And with that said...if advising me, please know that MS is more of a weakening of the muscles and many have different symptoms.  I walk with no assistance (hold onto counters, etc.) in a small apartment, use a walker sometimes with braces to travel in taxi's or cars that are small and I'm going somewhere that I won't have to walk too far.  I use a wheelchair here in the states for things such as going to the mall, a giant hospital, etc and take a public specialty w/chair bus which requires 2 wks notice.  I also manage 2 or 3 steps up into a bus (sometimes with a lended hand).. I state all this as I think sometimes the perception when one must use a wheelchair is that they are paraplegic and that has only happened once and with my MS, heavy steroids and physical therapy do the trick (and a positive outlook helps recover)

So, with that said, what kind of barriers might I face.  I looked at some other posts about a Quad ATV but don't think my balance would allow that...I also considered rental of a golf cart if the "guacho?" or van is not an option (5 miles to Palma Real mall I think)but don't know if that is something I could use on a main road there (very popular in Belize)..

Hoping I get some great responses as this is a big one for me, thanks.

Okay the guaguas they are referring to are a public form of transportation, priced based on the length of the route and how far you are going. It is a beat up wreck of a van - normally!  If you get a nice one all the power to you.  Here in Santo Domingo they are on all the main routes and I usually avoid them.  I take taxis.  I have taken them on occasion and it has always been an adventure!

They are not geared for people needing specialized transportation at all!  Sometimes there is no sliding door,  just a guy there who collects the money and looks for additional passengers.

However, that being said, they may in fact make accommodations for you on the spot, I can just see 4 local men figuring out how to get you and your foldable chair into the guagua! and then a much heated discussion about how to charge you!   

You will want to find a local  taxi driver with a  van who can help you anytime you need to go somewhere - or - better yet 2 or 3 of these. I am sure  you will find these kinds of people and have no issues getting around.

It is funny that you described the guaguas of a scenario as exactly what I had pictured in my mind so I will cross that off my list. You say you take taxis but are the taxis there usually a private van? That's what it sounds like.  I already have the name of the company who is going to pick me up at the airport. I certainly don't want to pay that much each time I go somewhere. I will likely contact my rental owner and see what he advices but make sure I ask for the private van service.

Thanks again

Maybe it's best to establish a connection with a taxi driver who has a minibus. Do not use several drivers unless really necessary.
Make sure it is a driver with a fairly new vehicle and recommended by someone you know and trust.
Rent the vehicle + driver for the day or specific outings.
All the best.

m'frog

Similar to what I said, the reason I have a backup is for when your 1 guy is busy you are stuck. 

But yes make sure it is a fairly new vehicle too!!! Good point!