Retirement in the Dominican Rep

thanks for your reply, planner

Would a provisional residency exempt me from taxes or would I have to have permanent residency?

I could possibly get a provisional residency by August but not anything else.

How do I find a lawyer. I have contacted several that were recommended to me,  but they didn't impress me at all.

When you apply for/get your residency you have 6 months to bring in a container basically tax free, but not totally free as they want their pound of flesh in some manner. Our container had taxes in excess of $9000US but after applying for the residency exoneration it came to $450. A big savings. The container is supposed to contain only used household stuff and they may ding you on new things especially electronics but it depends on the inspector, day of the week, weather, etc....
I do have a good lawyer in Santiago who we, our friends and our clients all have used with great success on residency. if you want her contact info PM me.
Hope some of this helps

Bob K

Forgot to add if you are in an area with good cell service you will be able to get internet as both Claro and Orange now have a computer "stick" that will get you your service.

Bob K

Thanks, Bob, When you say residency do you mean permanent or provisional?
How long does it take to get the provisional residency? I had planned to send a container from El Salvador to the DR with used household goods, but if the taxes are that high, I'll have to wait until I have residency.

I would like the name of the lawyer. Even though most of my time will be spent in Santo Domingo, I have clients in Santiago.

I really can't use the memory stick Internet connection. It is too slow and the monthly limits on data transfer make it expensive for me since I do a large amount of file transfers. I want to live in a location with a temperate climate but so far I haven't found one with broadband. I have lived on the beaches of Florida most of my life and have found the mountains of El Salvador to be more to my taste in climate at least.

The lawyer I recommend in Santo Domingo, speaks English and Spanish (He is American with Dominican parents and Dominican kids)  Wilson Rood [email protected]   He will take care of you!

You are correct about the "stick",  the speeds are really limiting and it gets expensive.  Viva has a mifi that is a bit better,  unlimited volume but the speeds are a bit slow sometimes but not always.

First stage residencia can take 3 to 6 months!  If you are going to ship goods, wait till you have it. And you can start the process before actually moving here too.

Thanks. I will start the residency effort from El Salvador (where I currently live)now.

Actually once you have applied for the residency you can use that paper work to ship your container.

Wilson Rood is not who we use but we know him and he does a very good job.  Also one of the good guys.  We use a woman in Santiago as she is closer to us.

Bob K

Thanks for the info about the paperwork and the lawyer.
I would like to have the name and contact information about your lawyer in Santiago as well.

I sent you a PM with her info.  She will hold your hand the whole way.

Bob K

Does anyone know if there are any good American style schools in las terrenas?

Not that I am aware of,  sorry.

American "style" schools are rare here. Certainly none in LT. There are some international schools that are quite good and the closest for LT may be in Sosua. I am not sure if that will be the closest, but this type will be as close as you will get to an American style school.

Bob K

Thanks for the info.

hi williamd thats sounds like a neat place.. coming back to puerta plata with a grop may next year and this tim i really want to look around.. im going to look up where this town is.  thanks

interesting im going to look up this area now

I had this dish called san cocha which seems to be a standard DR dish that all the locals make at home.  Very tasty

Iz Monsta,  can you please try to keep your posts relevant to the topic.  San Cocho - how about adding that to the thread on Dominican cooking.  Thanks!

Actually this goes to everyone including me,  lets try to keep threads on topic,  thanks everyone.

i was replying directly to bob k comment about food and it ended up being posted in a different place.  i dont get it i had to search to find my post

No worries!  It happens to all of us at some point..

Hi Planner

Are there any economical but clean and secure rooms to rent for a night or two in PP 20-25 range

thanks

yes there are a couple places I can recommend. I just need to remember their names.....LOL  Do you know Puerto Plata at all MrNatural?

By the way, welcome to the forums!!!

yes have been there several times have stayed at mountain view hotel reasonably priced clean etc but since you live there you might know of others

another question im sure u can answer is it easy to get residency I know i can live ok on my canadian pension i would like to chat on skype sometime I will return in a week to dr and send u my dr phone thanks be being help to us expats