Taxi from the airport

hi guys,

Just checking, what's the price I am expected to pay for a taxi ride from the airport to Sliema? We have quite a lot of luggage so probably need a big car.

Do I need to bargain with the taxi driver and decide the price before taking off like in some other countries or is it with meter and IT WORKS? Can I pay with credit card? Just to know...

many thanks!
Gabrio

Hi Gabrio

The white cabs run on a fixed price, €20 from the airport to Sliema. You pay inside the terminal and they give you a voucher you give to the driver.

Thanks, do they accept credit card?

Avoid WHITE taxis at all costs.

The Times of Malta - Thursday, 22nd August, 2013: Just four taxi drivers disciplined for not using meters.

Just four white-taxi drivers have been disciplined by Transport Malta so far this year for carrying passengers without using meters.

The Sunday Times of Malta recently found drivers demanding excessive upfront fares when it carried out an exercise at three taxi ranks around the capital.

In recorded conversations, just one in six drivers reluctantly agreed to turn on his meter after several minutes of negotiations. The others quoted prices up to €12 above the estimated meter fare.

Despite the drivers brazenly asking for upfront fares in that exercise, Transport Malta said it was difficult to fine drivers because the Enforcement Directorate received complaints from tourists after they had left Malta.

Source: http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/vi … ers.483069

Byron49 wrote:

Avoid WHITE taxis at all costs.

The Times of Malta - Thursday, 22nd August, 2013: Just four taxi drivers disciplined for not using meters.

Just four white-taxi drivers have been disciplined by Transport Malta so far this year for carrying passengers without using meters.

The Sunday Times of Malta recently found drivers demanding excessive upfront fares when it carried out an exercise at three taxi ranks around the capital.

In recorded conversations, just one in six drivers reluctantly agreed to turn on his meter after several minutes of negotiations. The others quoted prices up to €12 above the estimated meter fare.

Despite the drivers brazenly asking for upfront fares in that exercise, Transport Malta said it was difficult to fine drivers because the Enforcement Directorate received complaints from tourists after they had left Malta.

Source: http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/vi … ers.483069

Wow it sounds like in Manila!

let's put it another way, what is a HONEST amount to pay for 2 people with 6 luggages from the airport to Sliema center? just so I know what to bargain. I'm Italian so no problem to bargain, even though it's stressing.

someone said 20€, is that it?

thanks
gab

Airport transfers are 18-20 euro from airport to just about everywhere in Malta. I have a good friend here who is a taxi driver. He doesn't take credit cards but I am more than happy to book him for you if you give me your flight details.  He has a transit mini bus so ample room.

Hi gab,

here's the link to the fixed taxi charges from the airport. The booth is at the exit on the left side of the arrival hall.

http://gettinghere.maltairport.com/en/white-taxi.htm

6 pieces of luggage! I guess that depends on the size of the pieces but as you are only two passengers it should be ok or just give a nice tip ! -)))

It is 20 € to Sliema from the airport. I've no idea if they accept credit cards but there are ATM's in the arrival hall if not.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi,

I can recommend eCabs, fixed price (depends on where you go,
check their websiste).
And if you give them the flight number, they wait for you outside. They even take into account flight delays. I was once 1.5h late, yet there was a cab driver waiting for me.

Kind regards,
Holger

Everybody slams the white cabs and I never use them myself - EXCEPT from the airport, where the price is fixed and there are no problems with dishonest drivers.

And the posters question was about the cost of fare from the airport.

gabrio wrote:

hi guys,

Just checking, what's the price I am expected to pay for a taxi ride from the airport to Sliema? We have quite a lot of luggage so probably need a big car.

Do I need to bargain with the taxi driver and decide the price before taking off like in some other countries or is it with meter and IT WORKS? Can I pay with credit card? Just to know...

many thanks!
Gabrio

Hi Gabrio

just thinking away from local taxi's I looked at A2Btransfers.com. I put in a date (29 August) on a one way transfer and came up with:

Shuttle Bus (for two) €8.14
Taxi (for 2)          €18.60

and you can book on-line.  I have used A2B before on other holidays and they have never let me down.

Have a look HERE

Good Luck

Mike

MikoHassing wrote:

Everybody slams the white cabs and I never use them myself - EXCEPT from the airport, where the price is fixed and there are no problems with dishonest drivers.

+1

we always use aline xpress, from airport to qawra which is further and is 18€, you can book on line, taxi link.
Don't think take card but can ask.

gabrio wrote:

someone said 20€, is that it?

Yes, that is correct, indeed the prices from the airport are listed here as Ricky said. Honest white taxi drivers usually charge you those tariffs if you go to the airport.

Just ask the taxi driver how much is going to charge you before getting into the car. From my experience honest white taxi drivers charge 1€ more or so than ecabs tariffs ( http://www.ecabs.com.mt/site/zones.php ), if the difference is bigger they are probably charging you more than the normal price.

If you want to pay with credit card you should contact ecabs or some similar company that accepts credit card payments.

MikoHassing wrote:

Yes we know that and as often happens conversation digresses.
I notice you didn't answer the original question either :)

redmik wrote:
MikoHassing wrote:

...I notice you didn't answer the original question either :)

In fact I did not nothing but answer the actual question. The only small part I didn't answer was whether not you can pay with a creditcard, as I don't actually know :)

MikoHassing wrote:
redmik wrote:
MikoHassing wrote:

...I notice you didn't answer the original question either :)

In fact I did not nothing but answer the actual question. The only small part I didn't answer was whether not you can pay with a creditcard, as I don't actually know :)

Oooops, sorry.

Hi gabrio,

you can only pay cash when booking a taxi at the airport.

I was there today and noticed the sign on the window of the ticket booth.

That was the missing answer -)))

Cheers
Ricky

ATM right next to the taxi office though.....

i arrived today to Malta (second visit) and as I had 3 bags used a trolley to take it to the cab. then cab driver politely let me to put all the luggage to the end of a car and he went and returned the trolley

point of the story? I never got back my 1 euro from the trolley and in the end he expected a tip

how-yes-NO!

taxi drivers - they'r the same in every country - always tring to rip you off

Duxx wrote:

i arrived today to Malta (second visit) and as I had 3 bags used a trolley to take it to the cab. then cab driver politely let me to put all the luggage to the end of a car and he went and returned the trolley

point of the story? I never got back my 1 euro from the trolley and in the end he expected a tip

how-yes-NO!

welcome to rip off central.....

OK so here's what happened...

at the airport, we had 6 luggages, we got the white cabs since we were "noobs", so I asked for a bigger car / minivan and they said "we don't have it, you need 2 taxis" I said, ARE YOU FOR REAL???? long story short, we had to take 2 taxis, 40€! ridiculous, they didn't want to put the luggages on the seats or squeeze a little bit... nice one really! "no no no, you need 2 taxis". this is in the book now! haha

ON THE OTHER HAND,

we used yesterday eCabs and I have to say that they are GREAT, I highly recommend them and here's their number : +356 2138 3838 . they also called afterwards for checking out how the journey went.

thanks everyone
Gab

Duxx wrote:

how-yes-NO!

How much did you tip the driver?

gabrio wrote:

...we used yesterday eCabs and I have to say that they are GREAT, I highly recommend them and here's their number : +356 2138 3838 . they also called afterwards for checking out how the journey went.

thanks everyone
Gab

I second that.

Had to take a quick trip to the airport, booked eCabs online. Got a quick email confirmation of my booking, got a text 5 minutes before the car came, beautiful shining new black cab with an impeccable and polite driver in uniform showed up.

Charge from Sliema to airport = €19

I can only give them my highest recommandation and I know which service I will be using from now on.

I used ecabs many times. You know in advance what you will pay. 19 euros I give 20 euros. Always on time, never delayed. ecabs has been the only service in Malta which doesn't make you give the impression you live in Malta. Tourists in Malta are pigeons. I have been shouted several times Taxi taxi taxi !!! everytime I see a taxi, I laugh with my wife and I shout Taxi Taxi Taxi everywhere in the world ahah

gabrio wrote:

hi guys,

Just checking, what's the price I am expected to pay for a taxi ride from the airport to Sliema?

many thanks!
Gabrio

.............apparently €20 would secure one.

redmik wrote:
Duxx wrote:

how-yes-NO!

How much did you tip the driver?

after he stole my 1e - he didnt get any tip

Duxx,
The taxi driver returned the trolley. Ok he should have asked you, do you want me to return the trolley? Did you ask him to bring you back the 1 euro?
If you didn't why to complain?Here in Malta, it's just a start, a beginning, it's nothing compared to what you will have to face if you live here. It's just 1 euro for the service to return the trolley.

I have to say that I have used eCabs couple of time and I have no complaints whatsoever. If someone ask me to recommend a taxi company here in Malta, I would not hesitate to recommend eCabs.

Hi,
If you have details of that mini-van guy to pick up from airport you can give it me if possible. I will be in Malta on first of december and I have like 7 suitcases of 20kg each and I will be needing transport from airport.  Thanks in advance.

stevies wrote:

Hi,
If you have details of that mini-van guy to pick up from airport you can give it me if possible. I will be in Malta on first of december and I have like 7 suitcases of 20kg each and I will be needing transport from airport.  Thanks in advance.

Hi, the guy's name is Joey Vella, his number is (0356) 99402297
Tell him you have 7 cases in advance and that Caroline gave you his number. If you like, next time I see him (2 or 3 days,) give me your flight details and I will provisionally book it with him and then you can phone to confirm.

Thanks a lot for your info.

Hello, I was recently in Malta, best choice is https://www.cool.mt/ price much better than others

Peter Johnson you have just replied to a post from 2013.

Sorry :/