Silver Sands Beach

Hello fellow expats! I finally brought my wife to Jeddah 3 days ago and we want to spend some time on a western beach when we are free. I heard about Silver Sands a lot but some people told me they only let people with white skin in, but we are both from South Korea. I was wondering if I would be able to get in without problems. If not, can you please recommend me a good private beach other than Silver Sands? Thank you very much!

wait what??? who told you that ?it's not true man ! everyone can go there ! have fun

That's good to hear! I will probably visit there during Eid with my wife. :)

oh no, if you haven't made concrete plans yet, better hurry because many beach resorts are fully packed during the Eid, you'd probably have to make reservations for your room or villa for the entire week,

last year a few beach resorts in Obhur did not want to accept our reservations for 2 days only, because according to them, most villas are for weekly reservations. ... i'm just saying....

enjoy the eid!

white skin !! sounds racist..

badly yes and i dont know why they're racists !! in the end we're all human beings ........ :)

adnanharbii wrote:

in the end we're all human beings ........ :)

:one

Some time ago, I went with a group of “white” western friends to Silver Sands Beach and at the gate they told us that they all can get in except ME !!.. On some other occasion, same happened at Sheraton beach (The yellow gate Sheraton beach ”the secret one”). At the two occasions, we made a big deal out of it and we complained to the management, but with zero result, not even the slightest interest to listen or to do something about it.

Their discrimination is not only based on race, it's based on a pick and chooses policy since I know that many of my Lebanese friends are allowed there.

So we boycott both of those beaches and I urge people who believe that we shouldn't  tolerate this kind of behavior  to do the same.

that is terrible! they really know how to make everything suck in this region!....

well, maybe not in all cases..... (don't want to become like them others who discriminate..:lol::D:D:D ....

This is so true, last year we celebrate my friends B-day at Sheraton Beach one of the guest of the B-day celebrant has local friend the security wouldn't allow him to get inside,even the b-day celebrant couldn't do anything about it. Luckily he has visitor who has connections with great people in Jeddah and with some food the security suddenly allow the local to come in. We really don't know whats the problem perhaps they have systems of their own. :)

JasfurJQ wrote:

This is so true, last year we celebrate my friends B-day at Sheraton Beach one of the guest of the B-day celebrant has local friend the security wouldn't allow him to get inside,even the b-day celebrant couldn't do anything about it. Luckily he has visitor who has connections with great people in Jeddah and with some food the security suddenly allow the local to come in. We really don't know whats the problem perhaps they have systems of their own. :)

Well, they keep Saudi's out because they don't want trouble with the police (who turn a blind eye to western doing's as long as the nationals aren't being 'corrupted').

Your updated input would be apprecaited! As I just did a recon drive yesterday but was not prepared with my beach gear, duh!  Thx, Ahmad

So where to go in Obhur if one has olive toned skin? Wow.. Even day tripping to the beach has to complicated?

Which olives?  Black, brown, or green?  Don't tell me you are a Martian!

When people say they don't let brown people in, they mean they don't let non-Westerners in.  If you are a US citizen, it is ok.  They will probably ask you at the gate what your citizenship is, as they have asked me.  Show them you are 'Murrcan, and they should let you in.

Hi Trape

I set myself up for that "what type olive?" Lol

I'm still chuckling as I set up for photo shoot of the eclipse at its max at 1549hr

Thx
Lol!!!!

Trape.. I guess im one of these skinned "olives"... http://www.mera.es/eng/olives_tipus_eng.htm

LOL, I set myself up for that comment of yours about olives... love the humor... and where's alliecat????

There is all sorts of colors on that page!  Look, unless you are a Saudi, or are white, you are one of the undesirables, and especially so if you hold a non-Western passport.  Come to think of green olives, if you were a Martian, you would probably be treated far better than the brownies and blackies are treated! :)

What happened to your eclipse?  I left home at 3:51, but the sun was shining bright and there was no eclipse!  Did you see it?  Get any pics?

The partial eclipse was right before sundown.. Very cool.

Can you just turn up at Silver Sands and pay an entrance fee? I would need to travel by taxi as well - is that a problem?
I've been in Jeddah for three months and am bored to tears, need to get out.
Am English so I assume no problem as per some of the previous posts
:cool:

Yes you can just turn up, pay, and get in, assuming nationality and skin color are from the chosen ones.

They close at sunset, so just keep that in mind.

Cheers Trapezius

May be a dumb question, sorry to hear that people may be dicriminated about based on where their passports may be from. I am wondering about "larger" people. Do people stare at you if you are what is considered a bit bigger than average? Would this be a problem getting onto a beach there? It's not a VIP thing is it? lol! Strange question I know

You could be 500 pounds (or kg), doesnt matter, as long as you are Western. (to get in)

Once at the beach though, I am sure some people will stare initially, as anywhere else in the world.

u have to be a member or enter with a silver sands member!

Hi lsmith75

Are you actually in Jeddah???
Have you seen the "size" of folks here?  Weight isn't the issue. Just no locals. It's tragic but that's the way it is.

Pajaroflor

Ha, no but I will be in September. I am actually quite a common size in USA and Canada and I would feel comfortable going to beaches there, well maybe not in California or LA, lol, supermodel central. I currently live in Korea and even people who are overweight by their standards are quite small. I get stared at a lot here, not just because of being a foreigner, but older people have looked me up and down and sneered, obviously because I am not small like the majority of them are. I just wonder in general, so you do see all shapes and sizes there? That is good, I have missed that, lol! I do love it here a llot, the people are great and it has been a great experience but that look of disgust can't help but make me self conscious, lol!

Ah.

Thanks Garage

That might have saved the taxi fare this weekend!

This may have been answered in one of the many posts but obvious question, how do you get membership? And how much?

Judging by a couple of posts it seems worthwhile.

Looks like the hotel pool again Friday

lsmith75 wrote:

Ha, no but I will be in September. I am actually quite a common size in USA and Canada and I would feel comfortable going to beaches there, well maybe not in California or LA, lol, supermodel central. I currently live in Korea and even people who are overweight by their standards are quite small. I get stared at a lot here, not just because of being a foreigner, but older people have looked me up and down and sneered, obviously because I am not small like the majority of them are. I just wonder in general, so you do see all shapes and sizes there? That is good, I have missed that, lol! I do love it here a llot, the people are great and it has been a great experience but that look of disgust can't help but make me self conscious, lol!

Many of the Saudi women in are overweight.  Attribute it to lack of exercise opportunities (in fact, it seems like women are actively discouraged from exercise and definitely from any kind of sporting activities) and the fact that one of the few distractions is going out to eat!  Additionally, foreigners usually gain weight for the above reasons but also tend to eat more due to boredom/loneliness.

Don't worry about anything and good luck! :)

Allie is right on point. I clock in many kilometers on my cross trainer elliptical and exercise bike to combat the urge of so many treats to be had! Eating not not entertainment or a sport activity! Lol No worries, dear... Bring your swim suit and bloom wherever your planted!

hahaha, thanks, I hope I won't be too bored. How is the weather in the evenings from about October-March? Is it comfortable enough to go outside and walk around in a T-shirt? (compound)

MyOnlineGarage wrote:

u have to be a member or enter with a silver sands member!

In fact you don't have to be a member, this is just their polite answer that you did not pass their face control.

wavemachine wrote:

That might have saved the taxi fare this weekend!

That's for sure - taxi drivers don't know where Silver Sand is. And there is no any sign about it on the gate.

Hi dear! It's 25oC and quite comfortable. I'd say October to end of Feb is low 30oC day and mid to low 20's in the pm. Honestly, is summer wardrobe is all you really need . However the blasting AC might actually cause you to catch a chill! Don't forget that once you get here you will need an abaya. You've got lots of homework ( read through all the feeds to get your info)! Good luck . Once you're here let me know but I'm sure you will meet lots of new friends on your compound! Cheers!!!

Is this place still open?
How's the best way to get there? I'll probably use a taxi so is it easy enough to find.

Silver Sands is still open, it is a private beach and access is fee based and if you take a taxi, they should typically know the location or you can google it.

yeah fee Intrance is 150 sr

100 sr on a weekday the 150 is only friday and saturday

Are singles allowed at the beach, or do I need company in order to gain access?

you have to be member but you can enter by day use 150 sr in weekend Friday and Saturday and 100 sr for anothers days of the week .