EXPAT MEET UP APRIL 2010

After the success of our last meet in March, its time for our Expat.com family to meet again this month. I had discussed the date with Julian , and we feel that Saturday 24th April would be fine. If it is okay with you guys, we can go ahead with the theme and place. I request all you guys to give your imputs , how we can make this event even more fun and more interactive . We hope this time there will be more expats joining in. We will finalize and close the date, theme and place by 10th April.

Cheers!!!
Terence

Hei Terence,

Am new on this blog, I look forward to this get together.

Cheers

Di

sounds good..what about the water park! mind you it may rain. We could always go on a catamaran. I am away from 3-20 April but please count me in

Hi Terence,

I'll do like last time: wait until everything has been decided and post in the french forum with the details to get more participants on that side.

Cheers
Arlette

we can rent a catamaran for 8 hours for 15,000 rupees

For our last meet in March, we were almost 60 including a puppy who is now part our expat family. I am expecting a minimum of 75 during for our April meet.

hi everyone, since i kept missing previous meetings i'm now making a point of reserving 24 April. Count me in and i look forward to meeting you all (well, i don't know if this is possible with 75 people expected, but some of you anyway...:-)

Hi guys,
i moved in to Mauritius this week!
looking forward to the meet. Count me in!!

pbrough wrote:

we can rent a catamaran for 8 hours for 15,000 rupees

You did not say how many people this catamaran can take! Please inform

terence wrote:

For our last meet in March, we were almost 60 including a puppy who is now part our expat family. I am expecting a minimum of 75 during for our April meet.

ok I'll post already on the french forum so that at least we'll have a rough idea of participants expected and we can move on...

Count me in.

Re catamaran, its a maximum of 20 pax I think.

MelissaL wrote:

Count me in.

Re catamaran, its a maximum of 20 pax I think.

Some catamaran take 30 - 40 pax, I believe but if it's 16000 Rs for 20 pax, we can find cheaper I believe, depends what we want to do with the catamaran!

another one already?  I'm still recovering from the last one. ha ha

So you're still in the mood then, CanadianNomad, no problem then :cheers:

Catamaran would not be a good idea for a group of our size. Is there an unexplored scenic location where we could go? I am sure we must have been to most of the touristic locations in Mauritius by now.
I also take this opportunity to wish you all a very happy Easter.

Cheers!!!
Terence

Hi Terence,

I was just going to say that, on the French forum, we have a possibility to rent 2 catamarans taking each 20 ppl at a rate we can negotiate at 800 Rs/head (children depending on age is free - I will check age limit).

Somebody suggested me the Adventure Park of Chamarel, but this might be difficult for people with children under 6 as the activities only allow children above 6 and it might break up the group.

Some activities there are pedestrian and some are aerial...

Arlette

Instead of taking 2 catamarans, what about the "Isla Mauricia"?, which I believe can take more people than catamarans

Have you thought about spending the day in a domaine, like 'Lagrave, Ciel, Domaine du Chasseur....?

Di

Hi Di,

I was just modifying my previous post regarding activities and was going to add it to the list but you speed me! :D

If the other members remember I had a project like this in December, without success :sosad::sosad: Unfortunately I suppressed the discussions about this project so in case we should go ahead with this one, I'll have to go and discuss with them again. The price on this one, depends on the number of pax and we need to advise them ahead of time to book the boat for expat-blog!!!

Just for information, a trip on the Isla Mauritia for residents (all inclusive) is Rs 1500 per pax but depending on the size of the group the price will be reduced.

Here is my now usual compilation of the participants of the French forum:

Y-care (2 adults + 1 child)
FeeFramboise (2 adults + 1 teenager)
Sekoia (2 adults + 1 child)
Faby (2 adults)
lnb56 (1 adult + 1 [?])
FeeAcer (1 adult)

Hi
I am Indian.
I have cleared medical certificates
Company informed me that they have already applied for work permit
my work permit contains two role
is it difficult to get this kind of permits?
pls inform
and also inform minimum and maximum time period to get mauritius work permit and residential permit after successfull application

Hi hindustani,

could you please start a new discussion ? You're a bit off-topic.

The catamaran can take up to 40 people. What about renting a private bus(up to about 40 people) and going around the island. We could stop at a restaurant for lunch?

terence wrote:

I request all you guys to give your imputs , how we can make this event even more fun and more interactive . We hope this time there will be more expats joining in. We will finalize and close the date, theme and place by 10th April.

Hi Terence,

I'd like to know how the theme will be decided for the next meet up? Can we ask Julien to initiate a poll or something like that between the various proposals? or will it be a unilateral decision on your part, being the initiator of the meet up?

Cheers
Arlette

Hi Arlette,
I dont think we will need a poll. let all of us suggest ideas upto 10th April then we decide on the best 3 options. We will then go with the best idea that can accomodate the size of our group. We still have time to decide, it will not be a bad idea to take a count of the attendees at the same time. Just a suggestion if Juilan agrees, Can expats bring along thier expat friends even though they are not members of Expat.com.I am sure there may be some expats who would want to bring their expat friends along.
Cheers!!!
Terence

Of course you can invite as many friends as you want, members or not ;)

this is becoming very big now ;)

Very very good.....:thanks:

terence wrote:

Hi Arlette,
upto 10th April then we decide on the best 3 options. We will then go with the best idea that can accomodate the size of our group. We still have time to decide, it will not be a bad idea to take a count of the attendees at the same time. Just a suggestion if Juilan agrees, Can expats bring along thier expat friends even though they are not members of Expat.com.I am sure there may be some expats who would want to bring their expat friends along.
Cheers!!!
Terence

ok no problem for me; I'm making a recapitulation every so and so on the french forum of the new suggestions and also take a  count of the attendees (french and english speaking) so if I have it right for the moment we are 22 adults + a few kids...

Hi guys, Hi Arlette, Julien, Terence and all the above Expat.comgers. I have been enjoying reading all your blogs and all the helpful information that you have been giving. I am looking forward to meeting you all in person through one of your monthly gatherings BUT unfortunately:( i will be missing the April gathering by 2days as myself and my fiance will be arriving in Mauritius on the 26th April. Ah sure, i will catch you all in May i guess.  :)

Hi Mariam,
Welcome to the family!!!
Guys,
So far we have these suggestons:
1.Isla Mauricia
2.day in a domaine, like 'Lagrave, Ciel, Domaine du Chasseur....?
3.renting a private bus(up to about 40 people) and going around the island. We could stop at a restaurant for lunch?

Any more suggestions???
Some expats work on saturdays till noon. Activity decided should be based after noon. It could also be on saturday night. The last time we went to Pereybere for karoke, we saw some restuarants with music and dancing. le Sufferen has no crowd on Saturday evenings, we would have the place to ourselves. We could try Flic and Flac, Belle Mare. Some one told me that Flat Island is beautiful, but I have never been there.
Guys,
If you know of some places ideal for us to hang out , please do let us know.
Cheers!!!
Terence

Hi Terence,

terence wrote:

Some expats work on saturdays till noon. Activity decided should be based after noon.

Then we should already eliminate:

1. Isla Mauritia :sosad:
2. Flat Island

These are a whole day activity (Flat Island, departing from Mont Choisy = 4 hours navigation (2 to go and 2 to come back); Isla Mauritia is about the same to their mooring point at the beach.

Or maybe we should shove the event to the Sunday (25th)? Everybody should be able to come then!

terence wrote:

3.renting a private bus(up to about 40 people) and going around the island. We could stop at a restaurant for lunch?

Meaning we would drive around most of the day? Not funny :/

I am also not a fan of the around the island bus trip.

What about a sunset catamaran trip ?

I think that it will be difficult to accomodate everyones schedule and prefered activity. FeeAcer's earlier suggestion to make members vote via a poll is in my opinion a good idea. Only my opinion...

Hi Arlette,
Its better if you decide on the best 3 options for the meet up by the 10th and then ask for a opinion poll. We still have 3 days to take some more suggestions.

Cheers!!!

Terence

Terence, you are the initiator and should choose the 3 options. ;)

Melissa,

I would love to but I have'nt been much around in Mauritius to decide on places. You guys know this country inside out and I have full faith in decision taken by any of the experts in this blog.

MelissaL wrote:

Terence, you are the initiator and should choose the 3 options. ;)

I agree with Melissal; I am only relaying the info between the French and English forums!

I did post a new message today requesting more suggestions on the French side!

On the French side, for the moment, the favours go for a cruise on the Isla Mauritia or a stroll thru one of the parks together with a picnic (but the latter is maybe difficult, unless we restrict what we take with us as food and drinks).

Ok guys, Terence I will take over but no offense I really think that in the future the initiator of an event should try to take the command from the beginning until the end. ;) It will make things easier. Hope you won't be angry at me for saying that...:rolleyes:

I suggest:

The isla mauricia
Flat island
Bbq in another location (east part of Mauritius for ex)

Thanks Melessia,
I could never get angry with any one is this blog.I can take decision but I feel that everyones opinion is important. Lets shift the date to sunday 25th April so that we can get more crowd.

MelissaL wrote:

Ok guys, Terence I will take over but no offense I really think that in the future the initiator of an event should try to take the command from the beginning until the end. ;) It will make things easier. Hope you won't be angry at me for saying that...:rolleyes:

I suggest:

The isla mauricia
Flat island
Bbq in another location (east part of Mauritius for ex)

Well I personaly will not be able to make it on the sunday. Anyone willing to take other for the organisation ?:)

Hi Terence and Melissa,

As I said before, I'm only relaying the information between the two forums! So from Terence's last message I deduct that we change the date of the next meeting to the 25th and that we propose 3 options

-    Isla Mauritia
-    Flat Island
-    BBQ somewhere in the east part of Mauritius

How will you proceed now for the choice of location/destination?

I will send this info through to the French forum.

Till this date we have on the French side, the following participants:
Y-care (2 adults + 1 child)
FeeFramboise (2 adults + 1 teenager)
Sekoia (2 adults + 1 enfant)
Faby (2 adults)
ln56 (1 adult + 1 [?])
FeeAcer (1 adult)
catherinedp (2 adults + 1 teenager)
Elchacha (3 adults)

But we might lose 3 participants (2 adults + 1 teenager) because it will be on a Sunday; I'll check with her.

Cheers
Arlette

MelissaL wrote:

Well I personaly will not be able to make it on the sunday. Anyone willing to take other for the organisation ?:)

I still think it's on Terence because he's the initiator but I can give him a helping hand :one