Current Cost of Living in KL July 2013

Trying to figure out the cost for 2 if we move to KL this year!
These are figures we have in our budget. Don't know Car Service cost. Wld appreciate approximate cost for servicing. KM 30,000/- stand as of now. (Tax is separate and not included in the calcuation)

Description                     RM (Cost PM)
Condo Rent                             5000
Condo Fees/utility                    600
Water                                         25
Car Insurance  & Road Tax         170
Petrol  (in my case)                   300
Vehicle Maintenance (Ford Fiesta 1.4)     Please advise
Cylinder Capacity: 1388/71KW-97 PS    

Electricity:
washing/dryer/vaccum cleaner/Air-con  500
Gas                                          50
Internet                                 150
TV Astro                                 120
Mobile for 2                             100
Monthly Rail Pass for 2                 200
Grocery for 2                            2000
Health Insurance for 2 (MY only)     600
Total                                  9795

Hello Damodhar.

Your message has been moved to the Kuala Lumpur Forum for better interaction with the other members of the forum.

Thanks

Karen :)

Damodhar
Not much idea about the vehicle part but i must ask you what made you budget your condo rent and groceries at that amount? What area are you planning to live in?
For a family of two, to me, groceries should not exceed 1200-1300..! In fact, some couples with moderate lifestyle manage even at a much lesser budget of 800..!
You might wanna have other members comments on this..!
Cheers..!

Karen 1604-Thank you
coooolguy_tdh-Thank you too for the comments. Yes we are 2 elder persons. I have groceries budget at 2,000/- because we use also
cheese, Sausages, high quality meats and a few bottle of wines. This will come up easily 2000 pm.

Condos we look the comfort of like Lumina Kiara, Kiaraville, Tiffani Kiara in Mont Kiara as an example with 3 rooms.  Plus you may have all the facilities and securities with no compromise.  Only question is Condo fees/ Utility which should cover cost like water, electricty. Correct me if I am wrong. No idea. Kindly check my list and see whether it is realistic in terms of amounts.

Rest everything seems to be in order..!
Cheers..!

[Moderated: Post your advert in the Housing in Kuala Lumpur section.]

coooolguy_tdh wrote:

Rest everything seems to be in order..!
Cheers..!

Thanks

Condo management fees are usually included in the rent and paid by the landlord direct to the management office. Car service depends on the car make.

Gravitas,  Thank you, in the meantime I have got some Information from other colleagues.  Your Statement is absolutely correct.

[moderated: no free ad on the forum. Please use the business directory. Thanks.]

Condo rent 5000 RM is way too much. You can get one at 1500 max!

sohelmahboob wrote:

5000 and below is just an approximate figure. The price of rental would depend on the location of the apartment/condo. As with in any country, rental price for a house/apartment would be based on a lot of factors. It's closeness to amenities/LRT station, safety, convenience and popularity of the said property all play a role in the pricing. So does the type of furnishings which is provided for a unit.

The family in question has seemingly done some research and come up with that figure thereafter.  Their lifestyle preferences would seem to indicate they have set a certain standard for themselves.

sohelmahboob wrote:

Thank you for highlighting this. If it is 1500 Max., would you be Kind enough to let me know what type of condos you are referring to:  May be you can send me a PM with some Website address which Shows Condos in question.  Thank you

As Gravitas mentioned, we have done our research on this and
we very much look for an upper Level comfort and amenities.

The other area where rentals can be lower but amenities high class with the advantage of an international environment is Penang Island.  It has a large number of expatriates and is very popular in the MM2H programme.

The environment is rather different from the rest of Malaysia, as it has 44.6% proportion of Muslims in that community.  It is more ex-Colonial and Malaysian Chinese in its heritage, orientation and culture. Georgetown is an UNESCO Heritage Site.

Personally I find rents can be competitive or lower there than KL (negotiate hard always) but curiously property purchase prices are similar to KLCC - "KL" means different things to different people.  The expat suburbs such as parts of Damansara or Mont Kiara are also classed as KL and Bangsar too.