Is 20000 myr per month sufficient for family of two with newborn

Hello Team ,

I save around 8000 myr per month in india post by expenses and tax deductions .I wanted to know how much would be ideal salary to look at if i wish to move to malaysia.I wanted to know will i be able to save atleast 10k myr with salary of 20000 myr per month before tax deduction.

Thank You

Yes, that should be possible but it will depend on your lifestyle. Accommodation rental costs will influence the amount of savings. You can check rentals on websites such as www.iproperty.com.my or www.propertyguru.com.my The figures shown are the monthly rental cost.

The non-resident income tax rate is a flat rate of 28%. So that initially eats into any salary. But eventually a refund of any overpayment of tax is possible. Overpayment is the difference between non-resident 28% flat rate and the resident rates, which are on a scale. https://www.pwc.com/my/en/assets/public … ooklet.pdf

Post tax deduction i will be able to have 14400 myr per month take home .I am planning to live in kl sentral only in a 2 bedroom apartment/condo as i have newborn along.How much will i be able to save after house rent,monthly food expenses & travel+new born expenses  if any.

Your costs are probably going to be:

Rent 3,000
Groceries & household supplies 1500
Travel 300
Utilities (no aircon) 350
Phones 300
Entertainment 300
Clothing shoes laundry repairs etc. 250

You can check COL at Numbeo where its also possible to compare locations.

I think you would need to work out a health care contingency for your child as well, because babies frequently require medical attention and even if you have health insurance coverage with an employer, that is normally just for hospitalization and does not cover doctors visits, medicine, vaccinations etc.

Tax will be about 3,500 when Tax Resident and 5,600 whilst non-Tax Resident

Thank You !! Appreciate your swift response!!

14400-6000 min(may go upto 9000) = 8400 myr per month ,which would be equal to what i save in india.Doesnt look like a good deal to accept 20k myr per month  as salary  and consider to move from home country to malaysia.

It's a good Salary in Malaysia for Expat, as you will be staying near KL Sentral you will get 2 BHK around 2400 to 2800 rm condos like Pines Condo,Villa Scott , 633 residency etc..Suasana Sentral Loft will be 3000rm to 3500 rm for 2 BHK.

You can search for condos on https://www.ibilik.my

Here agent commission is paid by owner when you search home with agent and it will be 12 month contract.

Initially for 6 month you will be taxed 28% of your salary you can check how much it will be deducted.

http://calcpcb.hasil.gov.my/index.php?&lang=eng

Once you complete your 6 month you will be charged income tax as local, so it will be 10% or less depends.

In April when you file your income return your first 6 month extra tax from 28% will be refunded to you.

With Salary 20,000 rm you can save around 13,000 rm

Tax resident tax rate will be around RM 3,400 per month
Non tax resident tax 28% flat deduction will be RM 5,600 per month

Refund of difference (c. RM 2200) will be available subject to terms and conditions.

That is Gross 20kpm. Net is 16ish.

I am not sure how can you live on 3k for family of 3.

Can you please guide.