Visa D-efined

Zdrasti!
I'm just about to go for my Visa D interview in Canada. My question is the visa good for 6 months from the moment its issued, or from my arrival in Sofia?
As well, I've heard to stay and work in Bulgaria that you need to apply for Permanent Resident within 180 days. To keep this status, you must pay 500 lv on a yearly basis for 5 years, then the fee is waived, whether or not you apply for citizenship. Is this right?
Merci for any information you can impart!:)

Zdrasti :)

it is better to ask in the embassy, as they will have the latest information about that. You can send them an email I guess, as their email is listed on their website(http://www.bgconsultoronto.info/). Also you can ask the company you are looking forward to start working with in Bulgaria for assistance. I have worked with a lot of foreigners in Bulgaria and neither of them has had any problems with working in Bulgaria, so you can be quite relaxed for that, but you should get information from the embassy(or your embassy in Bulgaria, as they are dealing with this quite often I guess).

Just keep in mind that salaries in Bulgaria are quite lower than the ones in Canada.

Have a great time and enjoy Bulgaria!

Priaten den!/Have a nice day!/

P.S. You have got a good start on learning bulgarian words, fingers crossed that the language won't be hard to learn :)

Thank you Ventom for the pomosht!

I write to the Embassy constantly, answers are slow and incomplete usually though.
I do not have a definite job offer as yet, although I have been applying.
I understand the wages are lower but are somewhat balanced by lower costs. I was in Sofia a few weeks ago and found it pays to shop around and buy local.
The language barrier bothers me-what jobs I can do before I have complete command of Bulgarian?
For now I get my documents ready to meet the Consulate.
Have a good one!

:cheers:

Zdrasti again ;)

Bulgaria is considered as an outsorcing destination for many US/UK/Canada companies. So you can probably work in IT/Call centres without any problem and you can also work in companies that have offices in other countries as native speakers are highly valued in Bulgaria. I have worked for a Canadian company some time back and also spent some time in a company that had quite a few foreign employees in Bulgaria. Currently I also work with a lot of expats, who are usually using their connections and act as sales/middle man for services provided from Bulgaria to other countries or in the tourism sector. A lot of expats are also working in the property/facility management sector, as it is very common that expats trust some other expat providing property and facility management services more than a local provider, disregarding the actual services and quality.

So you have quite a few options in Bulgaria, but it depends on your background and what you want to be doing. Also on the city you will be living in. For example Sofia provides more opportunities for a tech person than any other, but some others are preferred for the lifestyle.

Let me know, if you need assistance with something. I'll try to check with some clients of mine in Bulgaria about the questions you had about permanent residency somewhere next week.

Have a nice day!

Ventsislav Tomev

Ah well, we hope to be going to Sofia in a few months. Lots of loose ends to tidy up first.
My field is psychology, my job has been a rehabilitation worker here.
Monogo thanks for the ideas and encouragement. I am willing to try new things, as long as I can stay in the land of lukanka, banitsa, and rakia!
I don't know company names much though.
I have read you are in Bulgaria and want to go to England one day? This is a very good choice and should be much easier soon. Although prices in London for a flat are Disneyland expensive.

Good weekend!

[img align=c]https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSh3HGETMAS_O4xoNAMUwfnRkdT_Y-r1WL4WYu8mKfMZux1

One option for a psychologist with English language might be working with special needs cross-border adoption agencies. The pay isn't great at all (I was looking into it myself, on the other end of the process as a social worker with Bulgarian and English) but depending on your financial needs then it might be something that you consider rewarding.

Howdy;

It's an interesting idea, merci, this must be your field also. I have worked with the mentally challenged. I believe, however, that Bulgaria hasn't set up many programs to help this group of disadvantaged individuals. Perhaps a new government in the near future...

I need a fun picture like yours!