Marriage In Bulgaria

Hi Everyone,

I was doing some research on the documents required to get married in Bulgaria as a foreigner. However, I'm not clear about the type of identity documents that are required when you register the marriage at town hall. Does it require you to present your birth certificate in order to get married in Bulgaria?

Also, for the medical certificate do I need to visit a psychologist because somewhere I read there needs to be a psychiatric release, and a tuberculosis screening. Is it not just the blood test? If anyone has gone through the medical exams please let me know how the medical exams were performed.

Much Appreciated,

Ellie

@Ellie888

Congratulations? :-)

I am no expert on Bulgarian marriage, but I think your passport will be fine as proof of ID. I doubt they will insist on your birth certificate as well.

The medical certificate is easy, just go to any doctor/clinic and tell them what it's for (so if marriage does require a TB check, they'll do it). I've done a couple of medical certificates here (for a teaching job, and for driving license) and they took a cursory look and then wrote the certificate. (It seems to me they assume that if you can walk into a doctor's office unaided, you are fit and well.)

I don't think you need a psychiatric certificate. But it's a similar process, at the appropriate clinic. I did it in Plovdiv (teaching job), and there was only one hospital doing this. The lady there (I think it was the receptionist, rather than a real psychiatrist) asked 2 questions: Do you have 20 leva? Is there anything wrong with you? And then gave me the certificate.

There is a certificate you didn't mention. It's the "Certificate of No Impediment" (CNI) or equivalent. This is an official document from Canada which states that you are free to marry abroad. My guess is that you can get this in Canada, or the Canadian Consulate in Sofia. You need this regardless of whether you've been married before. If you have been married before, then you'll need the marriage/divorce certificates. Hopefully, not too many. :-) These types of official documents ALSO need to be legalized/apostilled AND translated into Bulgarian by a certificated translator. So it's a right faff.

I think there was recently a bit of drama about Bulgarians marrying foreigners in fake marriages. But I'd guess this was mostly about poor Ukrainians rather than rich Canadians, so I think they'll assume it's OK. But keep this in mind, and perhaps keep some easy proofs that the relationship is genuine (e.g. rental contract if you lived together for a couple of years in Canada beforehand).

I have just gone through this a few years ago.   My wife is a dual Citizen USA and BG.  We married in USA many years ago.   I was required to provide the following.

1.  Copy of Passport for both of us,   Including her Bg PP.
2.  Original of our USA Marriage certificate.
3.   A letter from a psychiatrist stating that we were fit for marriage.  We went to an appointment at the main hospital in Burgas.  It was perfunctory.  I recall that it cost 250 or 300 lev.   I do not recall if we needed blood tests but think not.
4.  We went to the municipality in Nessaber and scheduled an entry with the magistrate to record the marriage in the USA In the Bulgarian ledgers, had a fun ceremony and was issued a certificate.
5.  The certificate is a recording of a foreign marriage in the form of a certificate of certified Bulgarian  marriage.

I urge anyone to have their marriage certified in Bulgaria otherwise you are not considered married for any benefits or legal situation.  Two Bulgarian friends married in Bali in a legal Bali marriage however did not record their marriage in Bulgaria.   The wife died and her mother claimed all of the assets.    There must be more to the case however as always gest get an Attorney and record everything, in particular you will's.

Alright, thank you for your response. I hope the medical procedure will go smoothly for us. We are also working on obtaining the no impediment to marriage certificate. In terms of proof of no scam marriage, we can provide evidence to prove the authenticity if necessary.

I do not think that is necessary.   Our medical procedure was as stated by another posting---perfunctory-    Ours was ----Are you happy?   Do you want to get married?   Are either of you crazy or have any other problems?    That was it.    We had no requirement to prove anything.  I think they wanted our money first and to get us out so they could see the next patient.   

Good luck.   There are some very informed posts on this blog.   In particular there is one that seems to have a lot of knowledge and responds to many queries.  I recall that he is "Gwynj."   I think he may be a Brit but you an check with him.

AoA
I want to get some information about of  bulgaria marriage. If I am going marriage in bulgaria woman
Already pakistani wife registered in my CNIC
How can I get bulgaria Eropa .I should remove pakistani wife in my CNIC
it is possible
should my first wife remain in pakistani documents

I do not quite understand your question however i can say this from my experience.

A foreign marriage can be revalidated or remarried in Bulgaria if one of you is a Bg citizen.  , however you should consult an attorney as my wife was a Bg citizen whom I married in USA and remarried in Bulgaria.

Presently there is no valid government in Bulgaria so it is best to find an expert attorney and not try to get advice from novices here.

I'm not quite sure of the question, either.
Bulgaria doesn't recognise polygamy, so you can only have one wife at a time. To marry in Bulgaria as a non-Bulgarian citizen, you will need a "Certificate of No Impediment" from your country of citizenship certifying that you are not legally married in that country.
Several other posts in this thread make it clear what paperwork is needed for a marriage in Bulgaria, so reading through them all might help!
To prevent scam marriages to gain EU citizenship, they will also want evidence that it's a genuine marriage - that you are in a relationship with the person you wish to marry and will live together as husband and wife after the marriage.
The Bulgarian Embassy in your current country should be able to help with information regarding what is required.

[Post deleted]

Kindly guides me

What is the basic requirement for bulgaria marriage

I am from pakistan

Don't, don't marry and in particular not a Bulgarian woman.  If you ae a woman, don't marry a Bulgarian man as the national pastime is cheating and beating their wives.    If you are so inclined you must go through a protocol including a psychiatric examination which is a farce, have a municipal ceremony and that is it.  Read the divorce laws first, they were revised in 2019 and if items are not comingled to be classified as martial property pre and post marriage acquisition in your own name remain your property.