Criminal background check for VISA D

Has anyone done the criminal background check for the visa D? We're looking to do this for a Canadian citizen. Do you need the fingerprints when doing the criminal background check from abroad or did you just do the basic criminal background check?

Did you need to use any services to legalize and authenticate the documents? If yes, were you able to use the Bulgarian Apostille / Notary services to complete the process?

I'm a U.S. citizen, not Canadian, but I'd be happy to share my experience if it would be helpful.

Hi GinnyHench, yes please do so, should be about the same procedure as for Canadians

Hi again. I applied for my visa "D" in 2018. I am retired, and applied for the retiree visa, but I think the over-all process is the same for other types of "D" visas -
On a visit to Bulgaria, I opened a bank account, and hired a lawyer. I then went back to the U.S. to collect the other documents. Some of that could have been done from Bulgaria, but the visa application must be made from one's country of citizenship.  My lawyer arranged the necessary housing contract and the necessary insurance.  In the U.S., I applied for the FBI background check.  Fingerprints were required. I found a company that takes fingerprints for such applications, and had them do it.  I applied online for the FBI background check. I stated that I was sending my fingerprints by FedEx.  The FedEx package had the application number on it, as did the fingerprints, so it could be matched up with the online application.  The background check was emailed a few days later. There was a fee, but I don't recall how much. I paid online. Of course I also paid the fingerprint service.  Meanwhile, I got letters certifying that my two pensions (state and federal) were pensions (not pay) and that I will receive them for life.  Next, all of these documents had to be notarized in the U.S.  That was easy.  Next, I had to have them Apostilled. This is a little more complex.  The FBI background check and the federal pension letter had to go to the U.S. State Department (in D.C.) to be Apostilled.  I contacted a service in the D.C. area which will walk such documents through the process in person.  I sent them the two federal documents, which were Apostilled and returned to me promptly.  The state Attorney General's office was able to Apostille the State pension letter.  I then used DHL to send all this to my Bulgarian immigration lawyer, Zachary Tsvetkov.  All non-Bulgarian documents had to be translated into Bulgarian by a certified translator, and then notarized in Bulgaria.  Zachary is a certified translator, so he did the translations and had the documents notarized in Bulgarian.  He sent them back to me via DHL.  I then sent them to the nearest Bulgarian consulate with a completed application form applying for the visa "D."  They set up an interview appointment. (I don't know whether they are still doing in-person interviews since the start of COVID.) I appeared for the interview, which was minimal. They took my photo and a signature, and the visa was issued.  I then Fed-Exed my passport to them to have the visa put into the passport. I didn't go in person because I was in Hawai`i, and the nearest Bulgarian consulate was 2,700 miles away in Los Angeles. I didn't want to fly there again, stay in a hotel, etc, so I sent them the passport, and the visa was put into it.

Happy to answer any questions. Hope this helps. Ginny

Thank you Ginny. This is an excellent review of the steps you took and it will be very useful not only for us but for many people seeking to understand this whole (too complicated) process. I hope the new government will find ways to make it simpler to apply for a visa by introducing new visa types.

@GinnyHench we are US citizens and its looks like we need a background check for the visa D what is your expirence with this

Thanks for your help

@dcw121165 Hi - Here's what I did:  I did the application on the FBI website, where you can do everything BUT the fingerprints.  There were clear directions - there undoubtedly still are. That application remains incomplete until they receive your fingerprints.  I then went to a company in Honolulu, my home city, which takes passport photos and does fingerprinting and other services.  (I had already visited Bulgaria and opened a bank account, hired a lawyer, etc).  The company took my fingerprints on regulation cards. I had them make 2 sets in case one was determined to be unreadable. The fingerprint company had good mailers. I was careful to make sure my application number from my online application was also on the fingerprint cards - again, the website specified exactly what to do.  I mailed those via overnight mail, with tracking, and was able to verify online when they were received.  Within a short time, I received an emailed form verifying my lack of any criminal history. This is the "FBI Background Check" required for the D Visa.  (Meanwhile, I had obtained the necessary documentation of my pensions (state and federal US) and my bank, etc.)  All of the US documents had to be notarized, including the FBI document.  Then the documents had to be apostilled.  The US Government docs (pension and FBI background) had to be apostilled by the United States Department of State. So, I contacted a firm in the DC suburbs (don't remember which company - there are quite a few). This firm received my notarized federal docs and walked them through the apostille process, and expressed them back to me in Honolulu. (Meanwhile, I had the state documents apostilled by my state Attorney General). Once I had ALL the docs, I DHL'd them to my lawyer in Sofia. He's also a certified interpreter.  All docs not in Bulgarian had to be translated into Bulgarian, and notarized by a Bulgarian notary.  When my lawyer had all of these done, he DHL'd them back to me in Honolulu.  I then submitted them with the necessary fee, photo, form, etc, to the Bulgarian Consulate in Los Angeles, which is the nearest one to Honolulu (2700 miles away !) In a few weeks I had a phone call to set up an appointment. I flew to Los Angeles for my scheduled appointment a couple of weeks after the interview). I was notified that my visa was granted, so I then had to DHL my passport to Los Angeles to have the visa placed into it. (Of course if you live nearer you can take it in person - I think the choices are LA, Chicago, and DC -- maybe one other.)  I got my passport back and soon after, flew to Bulgaria.   Be aware that the FBI background check is good for only 6 months. The time from my getting the FBI background check to getting my D visa was about 5 months, with all the notarizing, apostilling, translating, shipping back and forth, etc.  SO - since I planned to apply for a 1-year (non EU) residency, I had a second FBI background check done before I left Hawai`i. A couple of months later it was still good, and I used it to apply for my one-year residency card. If any of this is unclear, of course just ask. And of course, some of these procedures could have changed.

I see that I have an editing error in one sentence: It should read: "I flew to Los Angeles for my scheduled appointment and a couple of weeks after the interview I was notified that my visa was granted, so then  . . . "

Very nice and informative post, GinnyHench.

Many thanks.

You're very welcome. Good luck - Ginny

@GinnyHench

Hi Ginny

Is FBI background check it's Rap sheets?

And is it valid for 6 or 3 months

Thanks in advance

FBI fingerprints + apostille

only valid  for 6 months  from the date of the fingerprints ( the FBI apostille service can take you up to 2 months to obtain)

@Marharyta Unless they've changed it recently, it's good for 6 months.  I believe (but don't know for sure) that the fingerprints and name are run through the FBI's computerized records, to see whether there is anything to report.

Hi i am start applicants for a D Visa for Bulgaria, I've tried to contact the Bulgarian embassy in London. However no luck. I am aware that I have to do a criminal background check but in England there are different types. Could anybody advise me on what type is needed thanks wayne

@Waynehdragon

Sorry I can't help, eagerly awaiting a knowledgeable response from someone who can.

@jasmith837

thsnks i've been trying to contact the embassy in London, but with no luck

@GinnyHench

Thanks a lot!

@Waynehdragon

Hi I did post the link last night but its been deleted for some reason, its the ACRO police records check you need.

@grahamstark1

Hello, you posted the link on another thread : https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … =2#5874361

It is still here.

regards

Bhavna

@Bhavna

Ah thank you, didn't realise it had been asked on different threads lol.