Entering Bulgaria with a Romanian work permit

Hello

I am a 3rd country national with a romanian residence permit. I understand I can go to Bulgaria and stay for 90 days in 180 days. Question is, when will they start the counting? Because I am planning to stay in Bulgaria let's say 2 months straight and then go back to Romania and then back to Bulgaria again after 180 days. I work from home, so I will bring my laptop with me and work.

I don't know for sure, but my guess would be from the day you enter Bulgaria starts both the 90 days and the 180 days.

As @JANEMULBERRY rightly says, the clock starts when you enter Bulgaria (and I think they will stamp your passport).

The Romanian residence permit doesn't let you work in another EU country. However, if you qualified for it in your own right (i.e. not under family reunification or similar), I believe it lets you travel visa-free within the EU. So you shouldn't need either a BG tourist visa or a Schengen visa.

You get 90 in 180. So if you stay 60 you can come back for another 30.

You should note that you get 90 in 180 in Schengen zone countries (most of EU), so if you go to Poland first for 60 days, you only have 30 days left in another Schengen country (France, Spain, etc.). Bulgaria and Cyprus are not currently Schengen so you can have a separate 90/180 in each one.

Plus your Serbian neighbor is non-EU so I think 90 there too (but not in 180, I think you can pop back to Romania for a few days and the clock restarts).

So if you want to do a bit of digital nomading, you could easily split your time driving between Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey, Serbia.

If you keep your Romanian residence in good standing (with renewals if required), you should qualify for permanent residence there after 5 years.

This is very important as it gets you the "Long Term EC Resident's Residence Permit". This gives you rights similar to an EU citizen with "Freedom of Movement" to live and work in any EU country (subject to registration formalities after 90 days, the same as applied to EU passport holders).

Hi,

I have an non eu employee.

I made all documentatiins needed and now he has a residence permit for work (permis sedere is wriiten on top, permit model is “permks unic” and on the bottom is written residence permit).

I need to travel sometime in the future with him in an Schengen country, the igi bucharest told me he can travel as long I am accoany him.

The Spain embasy told me he need tourist visa, but how he can need visa as a touriat if he s comming in work interest fir an EU company?

What s the wright answer for my situation?

thank you

@claudiukrk You've answered your question by yourself - you will travel in Schengen country, but Romania is not in Schengen.