Moving to Kuala Lumpur

I'm looking to move to Kuala Lumpur in six weeks to work.  It's a pretty daunting prospect seems i know very little about the city.  Does anyone have any advice on good areas to live?  I think i'm going to be pretty busy with my job during the week but i do like to enjoy myself (obviously) and enjoy hitting the bars and clubs at the weekend.  Is there a music scene?  Any other information to make the transition smoother?

You need to choose an area that will afford you easy access to your office location. Once you know that, then you can decide e.g. Mont Kiara, Damansara, etc. Lots of city bars and clubs to frequent plus a large exp-pat community.

If you intend to retire or live here for a longer period there's a lot of things to be considered by you. Basically, first thing to do is don't overpay spending your tight pension money here and there. Second, find cheaper or perhaps unusual ways or methods to buy expensive items.

I know it's not easy since you have to do a lot of self-research. A friend of mine save his pension money buying an auction properties (luxury home like resort, below market price) for his own use and making money from it through weekend rental. If you want to grasp an idea before overpay anything, well informed yourself by doing a lot of research or just shortcut your self investing a good handbook about malaysia such as

(moderated: no ads)

Good Luck Rick!

Thanks Jon, however i am not quite ready to retire yet.  Maybe in another 30 years or so.

Hi rich,
seems like you love music, bar, beers (i can tell from your pic) and you will retire another 30 years. so i suggest you to find a place in bukit bintang area.me and my expats friends live in that area. it has lots option for apartment, bar and condo..and just walking distance to everywhere! i think it suites you! but 1st you should ask your boss which location is your workplace gonna be.

cheers mate!

[moderated: off topic - please post in the classifieds]

hi rich,
hows things there now? are u working in kl now?

Hi Rich,

Have you settled in yet?
Well I would say, in KL, music is everywhere, if you have been moving around.
It is a mad town with traffic jams.

Bars are near KLCC, Sunway, Subang, Mt Kiara, Puchong.

Food I would recommend, old town in PJ for Bak Kut teh.
Shabu shabu...hot pot at Puchong...
Japanese food at Star Hill, KL
Korean food at Mt Kiara
Chinese dishes at Bangsar/PJ ss2

It depends on what environment you like and fit into.

I'm not a property agent or anything but if you wish to move or shift units, area,
I am familiar with mt Kiara  as it is a hot spot for expat rental to say. But Bangsar is also quite famous and KLCC area around Jln Tun Razak area. I have a family unit there, currently available but not sure for how long. If you like to get a feel of mt Kiara area, feel free to pop by.

By the way where is your working place, the area you choose to stay is also important because if you do not have a car it is a hassle moving around KL, bet you've experienced that already.

anything to make the transition smoother?  bring an mp3 player and a supply of booze!  pubbing and clubbing is extortionate in malaysia... several times more expensive than your living and accomodation costs :O

im agreed with you dangibas!

hi Rich,

As per Holy Helga said, Bukti Bintang good place for you but depends on your budget for rental.. Angkasa Impian condo 1 would be nice, WALKING DISTANCE to major malls, BARS,CLUBS. IF you know where to go for drinks wont be that expensive.. I was in Bukit Bintang for 2 years never regret to bought the condo there.

For works just 10 minutes away to Monorail.. convenience? absolutely!!