Introduction, Friends, and TEFL

I just discovered this website and I don't know why I didn't look for something like this sooner!

My name is Josh, I'm 29 and I'm an expat from the USA.  I've been in Lille since October 2011 and I love it here.  As many people already know, it can be hard to make new friends in a strange country, and I'm trying to build up a social life.  I'm PACsed with my french partner, but I would like a social life of my own as well. I came here as an English assistant, I studied linguistics, and I'm interested in sci-fi books, USA sitcoms, video games, yoga, nature, witty conversation, and meeting new people.  I also really need to work on my French.

Apart from the social aspect, I am also interested in getting some TEFL certification.  I've found a few sites online that offer courses but they seem expensive or they are offering in-class instruction in Paris or further.  Is there opportunity to get a respectable certification here in Lille (or around Lille)?  Or, are there any online courses that someone could recommend that are respectable?

I'm here on a visitor's visa and I'll soon have a "carte de sejour vie privée" (thanks to my PACs) that will allow me to work.  I'm looking for something that actually QUALIFIES me to to teach.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you!

Hi,

I'm a qualified TEFL teacher and although I don't know the north of France very well I would recommend avoiding online TEFL courses.  Granted they may give you the certificate (although some aren't worth the paper they're written on) you would learn so much more finding a language school where you can do a 4 week course with qualified teachers.

I qualified at TEFL Toulouse, it's not cheap (1500 euro) but a massively satisfying experience with a great set-up and everyone on my course walked out feeling it was money well spent.  But damned hard work!

Good luck with whichever route you decide to take

Hey Josh

I am moving to Lille in August. Will be looking to meet people when I arrive. Big fan of sitcoms and sci-fi too. How have you got on finding a social life outside of your partner?

Hi Andrew -

I've been focused on passing the DELF test (the test for French proficiency) and just living life.  I haven't made any new French friends yet.  I did meet a fun American girl who's moving to Lille in September.
I'll send a you a PM and maybe we can meet up in August.

Bonjour;

J'aimerais parfaire mon anglais avec un ou une américaine expatrié(e) sur Lille .

J'aime cuisiner, lire, voyager, voir des expos, aller au cinéma...

Peut-être pourrions-nous nous perfectionner mutuellement dans le respect et la bonne humeur?:)