Cost of living in Doha

I've just been offered an assignment in Doha.  I'm a 42 yr old single male working for a US architectural firm. This would be our first project in the region and abroad. What considerations should I bring  up with my employer as far as living arrangements and cost of living, etc.
Also, it's an 18 month  assignment. They did mention that they would provide a place to live and transportation, but I'm hoping that there's room to negotiate a package. Can anyone comment on what your companies are assisting you with? I'm currently renting and will need to break my lease...
Thanks for any advice!

Hello SFarch.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Aurélie

Hi Aurelié-
Glad to be here.

Companies are required to provide medical coverage and most expat packages will also include either accommodation or an allowance - utilities allowance - travel allowance (or car) and most include a return airfare home once a year. Other than that there is often an education allowance paid, which is not applicable in your case, so friends in a similar situation always negotiate a higher salary as you will not be claiming this. Some companies offer a bonus payment each year and I think that companies are also pay an end of contract gratuity.

Thanks for all the helpful insight Dragonladyoz.  I just accepted the offer and am looking forward to Qatar!