QRP

Has any one used the QRP ? If so how is the process ? easy, hard? any tips ? I am getting ready to make a move to belize and need to know what is the best way to enter.

Just submitted our application. Relatively simple form to complete but the major requirements  I believe are to prove that you can demonstrate that you will have funds (an income) equating to not less than US$ 24,000per annum deposited in to a Belize Bank, that you are healthy ( especially that you do not have Aids) and do not have a criminal record. Hopefully we will know in between 6/8 weeks whether we have been accepted in to the programme.

http://www.abelizehomeforus.wordpress.com

I also just submitted a packet via USPS express mail. 6-8 weeks for it to be processed. You need police statement of good conduct, medical statement of good health, certified copy of passport, birth certificate, passport pics and bank statements to show either a pension exceeding 2000 per month or other assets plus 150$ application fee.  you don't need a Belize bank until after you qualify, I think to requalify each year. You can call the Belize Tourism office direct or email with questions. Roshel Godfrey was pretty responsive on emails. The website is http://belizeretirement.org/whoqualifies.shtml
Once approved its additional 1200$.  Worth it to avoid duty on car and household goods I intend to ship down.

If you are going to include your spouse in the application (as I have done) they need to meet all of the requirements apart from proof of income. If this is the case you need to include a copy of the marriage certificate.
If you are having the passport photocopies certified in Belize a Justice of the Peace can do it ie it doesn't need to be a Notary Public as the explanatory notes state.

If the spouse is going to be included and you are both accepted then a fee of US$750 is payable (in addition to the US$1,200 for the applicant).

http://abelizehomeforus.wordpress.com

Just curious....can Social Security payments count toward the $2000 per month required for a QRP?

Thanks!

Yes they can.

I considered going with the QRP move to Belize, but discovered that Belize frequently changes the rules and the benefits do not outweigh the hassle. We decided to move here and extend our visa on a monthly basis. In this way, we can apply for residency status in one year,which is something that is not possible under the QRP program. For us, in our particular situation, this was the best option.

good point, what about the duty tax? how dosr that work out? Robby I will take you out fishing when I get there.

super833 wrote:

good point, what about the duty tax? how dosr that work out? Robby I will take you out fishing when I get there.

It varies depending on the item, but a general rule of thumb is approximately 20% of value.  Probably higher on "luxury" items like vehicles, boats, airplanes, and the like.

We shipped down 20 boxes of household goods and paid only $200 in duty.  QRP would not have been worth it with the fees, income requirement, need to renew yearly, and intrusiveness.  We have been on tourist visa for 1.5 years, easy peasy. 

As an alternative to QRP, you can apply for permanent residency (with no income documentation requirement) after one year of residing in the country full-time -- can't leave for more than 14 days during that year.  It's not inexpensive, but once you're accepted, there are no further fees to pay nor documentation requirements, as I understand it.

Google "Belize Permanent Residency" for more information; I'm just talking from memory, so don't quote me on it!

I am not 100% certain but I seem to recollect that you do have to include a bank statement (to prove you have the financial means to sustain yourself) as part of the application for Residency.

Johnhenry1925 wrote:

I am not 100% certain but I seem to recollect that you do have to include a bank statement (to prove you have the financial means to sustain yourself) as part of the application for Residency.

That could very well be true; I don't know the exact requirement, just that you don't have to document a $2000 US monthly income flow as you do with the QRP.

Not wishing to 'split hairs' but it is the equivalent of a US$ 2,000 ie US$ 24,000 per annum. So, it could be paid in to a Belize bank in one go. As long as it is deposited by April each year the requirement should be met.
I doubt - but it would be good - that my wife and I will manage to need less than US$ 24,000 a year to live here. So, not an onerous requirement for us to satisfy.

http://abelizehomeforus.wordpress.com

Duty prices vary according to the item. We did not bring much with us, only stuff that would fit in our suitcases, so we did not pay any duty. We bought a TV here, for watching movies on Netflix and we rented a furnished house. We did ship a vehicle down here; a 1999 Jeep Cherokee, that I bought in FL for 1800 bucks (it was a repo) and shipped it via Hyde Shipping in Ft. Lauderdale. The shipping cost was $600.00 USD and Hyde handled the duty negotiations. The duty came to $800.00 USD. The car is more reliable and in better shape than most used cars in Belize that sell for twice the price.

Immigration appears to be cracking down a bit on Residency requirements.  If you choose to use the monthly renewal and apply for permanent residency after a year, you now need to produce proof of financial ability as well as a return ticket (leaving Belize) in order to get the visa extension.  It is not as relaxed as it used to be , but that's probably a good thing all in all.  ****Disclaimer Note.  This applies to Corozal.  I do not know if it holds true in the rest of Belize.

CaribeGal wrote:

We shipped down 20 boxes of household goods and paid only $200 in duty.

This may be covered in another posting, but can you tell us who you used to ship your items?

Thanks much!

Diane and Larry

Why would you pay for a return ticket if you are extending your stay???  This requirement does not make sense!

MyBetterHalf wrote:
CaribeGal wrote:

We shipped down 20 boxes of household goods and paid only $200 in duty.

This may be covered in another posting, but can you tell us who you used to ship your items?

Thanks much!

Diane and Larry

Sure!

We used Dennis Bellini out of Houston.  You have to first transport your goods to him, then he drives them through Mexico.  He acts as your customs broker.  Our pallet ended up in Belize city and was then barged over to Ambergris Caye.

His email:  [email protected]

Hope this helps!
Emily

CaribeGal wrote:

Hope this helps!
Emily

It definitely helps.  Thank you!

Diane and Larry

"We shipped down 20 boxes of household goods and paid only $200 in duty.  QRP would not have been worth it with the fees, income requirement, need to renew yearly, and intrusiveness.  We have been on tourist visa for 1.5 years, easy peasy."

Can I ask why you are still renewing tourist visa and did not apply for residency after a year??
thanks
Deanna

sunnybrook77 wrote:

Can I ask why you are still renewing tourist visa and did not apply for residency after a year??
thanks
Deanna

Sure Deanna -- after a year there (our "trial period") we were pretty sure we weren't going to be staying in Belize long-term.  Otherwise we would have applied for residency.  We ended up leaving Ambergris Caye after 1.5 years there full-time.  Here's why:

Bye Bye Beautiful Belize -- BeBelize Blog

We enjoyed our time there, but I would never apply for QRP or anything else prior to moving to a place and checking it out first-hand.  Vacationing and living in a place are very different indeed!

Emily

Oh wow, thankyou for sharing that.  I just read your departing blog but now I know where to find it will certainly read the rest when I have time.
If you ever find that your travels bring you up to alberta, Canada, would love to have you stop by and share travel stories, we always have a spare room.  You can check my website at sunnybrookstables.com
Happy travels
Deanna

Thank you Deanna, that is very kind and generous!  The generosity of strangers never.  We do hope to travel to Canada one day.  I've never been, and it looks like such a beautiful country!

Emily

Hi!
Did you go for the residencey? If so, do you have it now? Was it much of a hassle??

Sorry, my post was for Cathiekl
Still haven't got the quoting part down yet

I got my QRP approved a few weeks ago.  The most stress was waiting for the USPS to deliver the packet. I then sent in my certified check for $1200.  That arrived right on time.  I will be in Belize next week and will go to the Belize Tourism Office to get my customs paperwork for car and household goods. I'm  shipping down my new car right away so hopefully the paperwork and customs will go smoothly.  I have hired a customs broker to ease the process along altho Ms Godfrey of the BTO was amazing.. Ill post the results.

Waiting for the response to my application. How long from submission to approval was it for you?

Well done by the way.

Caridust wrote:

I got my QRP approved a few weeks ago.  The most stress was waiting for the USPS to deliver the packet. I then sent in my certified check for $1200.  That arrived right on time.  I will be in Belize next week and will go to the Belize Tourism Office to get my customs paperwork for car and household goods. I'm  shipping down my new car right away so hopefully the paperwork and customs will go smoothly.  I have hired a customs broker to ease the process along altho Ms Godfrey of the BTO was amazing.. Ill post the results.

Would love to read your story.  I'm assuming you have a home down there now.  Where abouts did you settle?  So yu sent a USPS packet down from the states with all of your docmuments in it?  and they approved without you being there??

According to the folks at our local Immigration Office....  We need to be certain there is a way to return in case of medical issues especially in the case of our more mature visitors. (Did he call me OLD???).  Also, we need to make sure that our visitors are good guys- remember John McAfee?  (Did he just infer that I'm a bad person?). 

So, they require it.  I bought a round trip ticket for October, 2013, and will visit my kiddos in Michigan for ten days.

Their country. Their rules. 

**** I am certain that folks from other countries find the US residency rules much more burdensome and onerous than this one.   Just saying....

Sunnybrook77.  You said you were waiting for my response....   Sorry.  What was the question?

Cathiekl wrote:

Sunnybrook77.  You said you were waiting for my response....   Sorry.  What was the question?

Sorry, I was asking if you went for QRP or residency (did yuo start the process before you left home?) and if you are living there now, if so, where.

sunnybrook77 wrote:
Cathiekl wrote:

Sorry, I was asking if you went for QRP or residency (did yuo start the process before you left home?) and if you are living there now, if so, where.

Hi! I decided to follow the Permanent Residency Process. For me, it is the simplest and cleanest. I go each month to the Immigration Office (about 7 blocks away) with my passport and proof of return ticket and sufficient income (bank statements and email about my return flight). I pick up the paper with the stamp on it, walk back about 3 or 4 blocks to the Sub-treasury and pay the fee...  then walk back again to the Immigration Office for the passport stamp that extends my visa another month.  Once I have completed this process for one year... without leaving Belize for a total time of 14 days, I can apply for permanent residency. No problem. 

I'm currently renting a wonderful home on Corozal Bay in Corozal Town. There are many advantages to living here. Besides the excellent breeze off the bay, there is an Immigration Office here in town within walkable distance.  I decided not to purchase a vehicle at this time. I have enough complications in my life. Thank heavens for friends who do have vehicles and for the efficient and inexpensive taxi service as well as the extensive bus service.  All in all, I love my life! 

If you have additional questions, feel free to ask or email me at [email protected]

Best!

Cathiek wrote:

I go each month to the Immigration Office (about 7 blocks away) with my passport and proof of return ticket and sufficient income (bank statements and email about my return flight). I pick up the paper with the stamp on it, walk back about 3 or 4 blocks to the Sub-treasury and pay the fee...  then walk back again to the Immigration Office for the passport stamp that extends my visa another month.

Interesting.  We lived in San Pedro on tourist visa for over 18 months.  We never had to show proof of return ticket or sufficient income to renew, just our passport and tell where we were living.  And in San Pedro, the treasury office is in the same building as Immigration, so the process to renew can be super quick if they are not crowded. 

Interesting that some districts seem to be stricter about renewals than others.

Emily

CaribeGal wrote:
Cathiek wrote:

I go each month to the Immigration Office (about 7 blocks away) with my passport and proof of return ticket and sufficient income (bank statements and email about my return flight). I pick up the paper with the stamp on it, walk back about 3 or 4 blocks to the Sub-treasury and pay the fee...  then walk back again to the Immigration Office for the passport stamp that extends my visa another month.

Interesting.  We lived in San Pedro on tourist visa for over 18 months.  We never had to show proof of return ticket or sufficient income to renew, just our passport and tell where we were living.  And in San Pedro, the treasury office is in the same building as Immigration, so the process to renew can be super quick if they are not crowded. 

Interesting that some districts seem to be stricter about renewals than others.

Emily

Emily,  things used to be that way in Corozal. There have been recent changes.  The requirements to show s sufficient  income and to show a return flight have always been the law, but have seldom been enforced. Some people think that the stricter enforcement is due to a new Immigration officer who has been recently assigned to the Corozal office.    "As long as I'm in charge here......"   Some think that the US government is requiring a tightening down of restrictions and that this is part of the payback for the eight SWIFT boats the US "donated" to the Belizean Defense Force.  Some people think this is a test case before the government really tightens up.   Only time will tell.  It's not really a big price to pay to live in this wonderful country!

Cathiek wrote:
sunnybrook77 wrote:

[Sorry, I was asking if you went for QRP or residency (did yuo start the process before you left home?) and if you are living there now, if so, where.

Hi! I decided to follow the Permanent Residency Process.   

!

Oh my, I just LOVE your enthusiasm!
So do you have to notify them that you are going for permanent resident?  Or can you just stay on the tourist visa and say you have been there a year and now want to be a resident??
Have you used a lawyer for this??
Did you have other family/friends there before you jumped??!
What made you choose Corozal?
Thanks for your patience!
Deanna

sunnybrook77 wrote:
Cathiek wrote:
sunnybrook77 wrote:

[Sorry, I was asking if you went for QRP or residency (did yuo start the process before you left home?) and if you are living there now, if so, where.

Hi! I decided to follow the Permanent Residency Process.   

!

Oh my, I just LOVE your enthusiasm!
So do you have to notify them that you are going for permanent resident?  Or can you just stay on the tourist visa and say you have been there a year and now want to be a resident??
Have you used a lawyer for this??
Did you have other family/friends there before you jumped??!
What made you choose Corozal?
Thanks for your patience!
Deanna

Hi again Deanna!

You go each month to  "extend" your tourist visa. The payment and stamp make it legal for another 30 days.  Then, as you get near the year, there is an application for permanent residency that must be completed and submitted. 

Nope.  Didn't use a lawyer.  Simply spoke with expats who have gone through, or are going through the process. Things here are not as cut and dried as in the states. It's sort of on Belizean time and things slow down and just aren't urgent. It's a nice way to live!  If its not today...tomorrow is another day and that's ok.  Pace yourself!  You'll live longer!  Less stress too.

I came with a friend of mine least year for a weeks visit.  Mary Lou is a Prof at U of Michigan. We both lived Belize!!!   During that short time we were here we met people who will be lifelong friends....   No doubt!  We corresponded via email with these friends during the past year. No family...  But, my gosh, with FaceTime I can see and speak with them every day if they can put up with me that often!  I used it to be there virtually while my granddaughter colored eggs.  I was there when my son and daughter in law announced "It's going to be a girl!"  I was there with my daughter when she told me she had food poisoning just before her big presentation.  So, while there is no family here....  You see....

I chose Corozal because it just feels like home.  When I got off the plane and stepped into the warmth and sunshine, I knew I was home.  Love it!     It IS different...   Very different....   But it's just right for me!

Cathiekl wrote:

I chose Corozal because it just feels like home.  When I got off the plane and stepped into the warmth and sunshine, I knew I was home.  Love it!     It IS different...   Very different....   But it's just right for me!

That was exactly how I felt when we flew into Belize.  Been many places looking for a place to grow roots, (Antigua,Guatamala,Costa Rica,Dominican, all over Mexico and US) and the only place I really felt welcome and comfortable was Belize.  I had not heard of the facetime untill this past weekend.  Why does it seem to be preferred over skype??

sunnybrook77 wrote:
Cathiekl wrote:

That was exactly how I felt when we flew into Belize.  Been many places looking for a place to grow roots, (Antigua,Guatamala,Costa Rica,Dominican, all over Mexico and US) and the only place I really felt welcome and comfortable was Belize.  I had not heard of the facetime untill this past weekend.  Why does it seem to be preferred over skype??

FaceTime is my video streaming of choice.  It's free on Apple machines (computers, laptops, ipads, iphones).  It's not restricted in Belize.  Skype has a cost to it from Belize.  It's not much, but from what I understand, you have to have $$ in your account in order to make the call.  I've used both and LOVE FactTime. 

So glad you had a similar experience upon deplaning. Love Belize! Love Corozal!  I'm a happy camper (just the expression.. not the literal)

Just thought I would mention, Facetime is Apple Only, whereas Skype and Google Chat/video can work on Windows and Apple.

gerry_edmontonguy wrote:

Just thought I would mention, Facetime is Apple Only, whereas Skype and Google Chat/video can work on Windows and Apple.

You are absolutely correct!  Luckily I have Apple devices as do all three of my children. That's why we go naturally to Facetime.

Awe, that is why I had never heard of it.  I am a windows/android girl!!