Slow travel

Hi all,
I would describe us (my partner of 30+ years) more as economic refugees, than expats. We are in our mid 50's, and need to reinvent. The need is economic, but also from burn out. It's time to seek slower, less expensive environments. We are seeking a place to call home, somewhere in the world we have never been before.

The challenge is that we want to travel slow. Stay in the places of interest longer than most tourist visas will allow.

This is our request for information from the experienced members of this board.

What countries in the world will allow for "permanent tourists". Meaning the exit and re-enter method of extending a stay in their country. Are there any countries left that will allow this, and how does one accomplish this with the confidence to have a long term rental established in the country in question. The entire world is an option at this beginning.

Any and all experience with this issue will be greatly appreciated. Web searches on the subject have turned up almost no information on the subject. If further clarification is needed please let me know.

Thanks,
Jim

sorry can't help you as i ve no idea , but hope the other expats in here could give u more information
hard luck

Try Asian countries.

Cambodia seemes easy and cheap living.. Also Thailand.

Hi Jim,

As you are from Monterey I will assume you are a US citizen. Wikipedia has a great list of visa requirements for US citizens and I think that list will be a good place for you to start your research:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requi … s_citizens

Corvin

Thanks Corvin,
I never even considered Wikopedia.
A great place to start.
J

I found Expat.com a nice place to meet expats

Vishal

So, you want to extend your stay by doing visa runs?
That, while still tolerated (not allowed) in some countries, always comes with a risk: Rules (also unwritten ones) may change and you are at the whim of the immigration officer (who might want a financial contribution for his goodwill).
That is the reason why this method is commonly used only by the young and adventurous, plus a number of lost souls who don't manage any other way.
It is far better, for stability and peace of mind, to live somewhere with a residency visa. Some countries actively welcome retirees from richer countries and issue the necessary visa to allow this. An example I know of is the "Malaysia My Second Home" programme, but there are others you can google.

beppi wrote:

An example I know of is the "Malaysia My Second Home" programme, .

There are some islands sparsely inhabited in Malaysia. You can get to modern civilisation within few hours.
Otherwise
Georgia: 360 days
Marshall Islands: 365 days
Federated States of Micronesia: 365days
Palau: 365 days

Near a border.
Thailand and Malaysia have a land border you can cross every so often to get visas without a lot of messing around.
Not sure if they'd get shirty after a few runs or not.

mas fred wrote:

Near a border.
Thailand and Malaysia have a land border you can cross every so often to get visas without a lot of messing around.

They DO.
Open invitation "Malaysia My Second Home"
Unlimited Multiple Open entries.
And (sorry Fred) it is LEGAL.
You can bus/coach/taxi into Thailand/Singapore or cheap flights to around the region.

hELLnoi wrote:
mas fred wrote:

Near a border.

They DO.
Open invitation "Malaysia My Second Home"
Unlimited Multiple Open entries.
And (sorry Fred) it is LEGAL.
You can bus/coach/taxi into Thailand/Singapore or cheap flights to around the region.

I looked at the second home program.
Malaysia really has that one sorted out.
You need to prove earnings and medical insurance but it's a cracker.
I was thinking more of tourist visas and visa runs.
I don't know if the border guards would get funny after a few runs.

mas fred wrote:

I looked at the second home program.
Malaysia really has that one sorted out.
You need to prove earnings and medical insurance but it's a cracker.

Nowadays you have the electronic identified passports.
No they are more concern with the Chinese, Vietnamese and Indonesians sweeties who come by themselves or girlie groups.
Otherwise, immigration is pretty good, just behind Singapore!

hELLnoi wrote:

they are more concern with the Chinese, Vietnamese and Indonesians sweeties

I can understand that.

hELLnoi wrote:
mas fred wrote:

Nowadays you have the electronic identified passports.
No they are more concern with the Chinese, Vietnamese and Indonesians sweeties who come by themselves or girlie groups.
Otherwise, immigration is pretty good, just behind Singapore!

This is not true everywhere: Thailand, which has a fair share of "border-run" and other illegal residents, troubles the Westerners among them (clearly hoping for bribes, which can magically resolve any issue) and don't bat an eyelit for droves of Cambodian and Myanmarese paupers (who then work in Thai factories for cheap). The same happens in many poor countries.
In any case, circumventing visa rules in this or other ways is illegal and not recommendable (not just because it is against forum rules to do so).

beppi wrote:

This is not true everywhere: Thailand, which has a fair share of "border-run" and other illegal residents, troubles the Westerners among them (clearly hoping for bribes, which can magically resolve any issue) and don't bat an eyelit for droves of Cambodian and Myanmarese paupers (who then work in Thai factories for cheap). The same happens in many poor countries.
In any case, circumventing visa rules in this or other ways is illegal and not recommendable (not just because it is against forum rules to do so).

Sorry, I think you jumped in at the wrong end. Bouncing Sheep and I were discussing the Thailand/Malaysia land border crossing into Malaysia.
The Myanmarese and Cambodians do not frequent this border crossing to get into Thailand.

Thanks everyone.
Sobering and enlightening.
Jim

I popped into the south of Thailand, using the land border, a few years ago.

It was a one off tourist thing and there were no problems at all.
My 90 day Malaysian visa still had lots of time on it and I got a free 30 day Thai visa with a nod and a stamp in the passport without the slightest sign of a bribe request.
The lousy Thai "taxi" that took us from the border to the town was a mess.
That box of ferric oxide just made it but I'm unsure exactly how because no one was pushing it.
I returned to Malaysia about 6 hours later, complete with a new 90 tourist stamp in my passport, again, smooth as silk without problems of any sort.

Of course, that was a one off and an obvious tourist, not regular 3 month visa runs.

beppi wrote:

This is not true everywhere: Thailand, which has a fair share of "border-run" and other illegal residents, troubles the Westerners among them (clearly hoping for bribes, which can magically resolve any issue)........
....In any case, circumventing visa rules in this or other ways is illegal and not recommendable (not just because it is against forum rules to do so).

I don't think it actually breaks any laws as such.
Of course, I'm no expert in Malay/Thai visa law but I have met people who effectively live in Malaysia on tourist visas and do the run every three months.
Malaysia seems to take the attitude, as long as you cause no trouble and have enough cash to live there, we'll leave you to it (at least for British passport holders).
I'm unsure how long they stay or if they have to pay 'fees' to border guards.

You may have a valid visa, but the actual permit to enter any country is given at the point of entry. There are few who have been refused entry even though they have a valid visa. As long as you are permitted entry into any country, you have not broken any laws.

Meet other expats and join the events

OR