RE: Teachers

Hi all,  I am looking to move out to Vietnam to teach English,  I will have Cambridge CELTA but no degree,  will it be possible for me to find work in decent schools or even get a visa without a degree

Thank you

Work: Yes.
Schools: Yes - if there are vacancies.
Visa: Yes.
Bring your documentation including police record and drivers licence.

Brilliant thank you

Jaitch wrote:

Bring your documentation including police record and drivers licence.

If you haven't already, read up on the notarization process elsewhere on these forums. It can be a laborious (and expensive, at least in Australia) process, and saves a little time and effort if you do the home-country bits before you head off.

You'll need everything notarized, including the CELTA. Not sure about the driver's license.

MatthiasB wrote:

If you haven't already, read up on the notarization process elsewhere on these forums.

Simplify life, get it done here in one handy area of TP HCM. If you do it in Oz you have to us the VN Embassy and that's a pain (and most likely more expensive).

MatthiasB wrote:

You'll need everything notarized, including the CELTA. Not sure about the driver's license.

Yup, drivers licence, too.

And bring any letters of recommendation, too. (No need to notarise and translation for those (only) can be done at Ha Noi Translators (Pasteur and Nguyen Du).

Thank you all for your help.

So is it safe to say that with the Cambridge CELTA but no Degree I will be able to work legally as a teacher in Vietnam,

I would like to be 100% sure that i can work legally without a Degree.

Could you possibly recommend any schools that i could possibly contact to assess what opportunities would be available to me

Thanks Steve

Jaitch wrote:

Simplify life, get it done here in one handy area of TP HCM.

I was under the impression the authentication chain needs to start in the country of origin for notarizing the documents, that's what everyone has told us. I'm quite intrigued - what other way is there? I'd appreciate any advice that could simplify this onerous process.

by law the vietnamese govt insists on degrees and you will be unable to apply for a work visa without one. Some small vietnamese schools don't bother but the pay is poor and the conditions not very good. Best not to count on it.
peta

Dear Steve,

Please don't depends too much misinformation people provided for you but to find out yourself on the Vietnamese's government website regarding work permit. I totally agreed with Peta. Currently, Vietnam has a strict policy regarding teaching permit for foreigner. No degree means no work permit. I am a teacher myself with several Language Centers in HCM City. You can still find work in the city but you will be working illegally without a work permit. If you needs additional information, please don't hesitate to PM me.