Mincemeat

One of the things I miss since leaving UK is mince pies, so this year I'm making my own mincemeat. I could not get glace cherries so I used some bottled cherries. Also I could not find mixed spice so I put in extra cinnamon. I could have bought French brandy but used what I had to hand, locally made peach brandy. The other thing I can't buy is shredded suet. I've never been too sure what function this performs but the older recipes always call for it. There are plenty of fat free recipes online but they all involve cooking. Again, I don't know what function the boiling or baking performs as the old Mrs Beeton type recipes were not cooked and my mother never cooked her mincemeat.
I just wondered what other expats do about mincemeat?

There used to be UK-produced shredded suet in that Asian shop that was in the Vasarcsarnok basement -- have you checked recently? They also had liquid glucose and other such fancies.

The suet is meant to cover the ingredients in a protective film of fat. But this is only essential when you intend to store the mincemeat. If you intend to put it in mince pies soon, even butter will do.

fidobsa wrote:

One of the things I miss since leaving UK is mince pies, ...I just wondered what other expats do about mincemeat?

Yup. difficult one. At one point M&S had mince pies but don't know now. I used to bring mine from the UK.

eghzarw wrote:

The suet is meant to cover the ingredients in a protective film of fat. But this is only essential when you intend to store the mincemeat. If you intend to put it in mince pies soon, even butter will do.

As I said, the suet recipes are not normally cooked and you can often see the pieces of suet when you look at it in the jar. It won't form a film on anything until it melts, though I can see that the actual mince pies would keep better. I remember a neighbour in England getting a biscuit tin out to fill it with newly made mince pies and discovering there were still some left from last year! She would not eat them but I tried one and it was fine.

fidobsa wrote:

As I said, the suet recipes are not normally cooked and you can often see the pieces of suet when you look at it in the jar. It won't form a film on anything until it melts, though I can see that the actual mince pies would keep better. I remember a neighbour in England getting a biscuit tin out to fill it with newly made mince pies and discovering there were still some left from last year! She would not eat them but I tried one and it was fine.

Well, this is the explanation Delia gives, but then indeed she is baking hers.