Permanent legal residence?

I'm pretty sure that the answer to the following question is "no" but I'm hoping for a knowledgeable response.

I've been poking around the web site of the New Zealand embassy in the US trying to find out if there is such a thing as permanent legal residency status in New Zealand. Since I can't find anything about it, I assume that there isn't.

Several countries grant permanent legal residency to non-citizens provided that they can demonstrate they won't be a burden to that country.

I obtained permanent legal resident status in Uruguay by:

o taking a physical exam to show I wouldn't burden the health care system,
    o getting an Interpol background check done by the US FBI to show I wouldn't burden the criminal justice system,
    o providing proof of retirement income to show that I wouldn't burden the social services system.

There were some other minor hoops to jump through, but surely you get the idea.

Nearest thing I've found is a visitor's permit that lets you stay in NZ 6 months a year. I can stay in Uruguay the rest of my life if I want to, no problem. I'm just not a citizen. No such possibility in New Zealand, right?

yes you can I have one you are usually granted 2 years if you complete points test depending on route (we went skilled Migrant) then permanent permanent if you fulfill further criteria

Thanks for the reply, but I'm trying to find something else out, it seems.

I'm retired and neither want to work in or invest in New Zealand. I just want to be retired there and live off of my retirement income--not taking a job from a Kiwi or providing jobs for Kiwis.

I've got the same kind of ID card here in Uruguay that a citizen born in Uruguay has. We all have to renew our cards every 3 years. I can't vote but have many other entitlements; my card says (in Spanish) permanent legal resident rather than citizen by birth. If I stay here 2 more years I can get a passport without becoming a citizen.

I took a whack at the skilled immigrant category 26 years ago when the official government unemployment rate in NZ was 20%. A Kiwi told me nicely that unemployment was unacceptably high in NZ and any job would go to a Kiwi before it went to a Yank. Ever since then, I've never tried to get a job in another country.

So can I wile away my retirement in NZ by demonstrating I'm in good health, don't have a criminal record and can live off my retirement income?

I don't want to become a citizen. I'm no Einstein, but I like something that Einstein said: "I am a citizen of the world."

Hi Montevideo,

It is probably easier to get residency status in a third-world country than in a first-world country like New Zealand. I am almost 100% sure that without permit residence you cannot retire here. There is no official retirement immigration category.

I've just moved to NZ from the UK, my wif eis a Kiwi.

Currently there is not option to retire here.  Inherantly older people pose a greater risk to the health care system, this is unavoidable and even with private medical cover the system cannot refuse treatment if the patient refuses to pay so it's a risk.

I did however recently read that the government are lookign at addign a retirment category of immigration... you have to have soemthing like NZ $1M income / investment each year so it's aimed at the super rich really.