I wonder why Expat Blog is not same anymore....

Expat.com has been my most favorite place on earth and seeing my posts one can realize i have spent long time here but then i took a short(In fact long break :P )and coming back here i see many new ids (Good enough) and hardly our senior members(Not by age)I found some adorable friends from the blog and had fun time together and even the topics are not as useful as used to be. (Allie , I hope i don't sound like our old friend Music man :P)

Its not that i am blaming Expat.com team ,Its a great management, very prompt to moderate , in fact faster than before.

I don't even know what I m typing and why i m typing ?:unsure

So , in short ...What has changed here? :P

you aren't friends with the people you used to be with ?

Hi Fidgety Soul, your feeling / question about the EB is understandable; especially if you've been on this forum for long.

But hey, your post reminds me of one favorite song - Lemon Tree by Fool's Garden. It goes like this:

"I wonder how, I wonder why Yesterday you told me 'bout the blue, blue sky And all that I can see is just a yellow lemon tree." [Source: Mp3lyrics.com ]

ghanshyampdave wrote:

Hi Fidgety Soul, your feeling / question about the EB is understandable; especially if you've been on this forum for long.

But hey, your post reminds me of one favorite song - Lemon Tree by Fool's Garden. It goes like this:

"I wonder how, I wonder why Yesterday you told me 'bout the blue, blue sky And all that I can see is just a yellow lemon tree." [Source: Mp3lyrics.com ]

Yup u r so right:)

I am very new on this page and do not know what kind of it used to be, but I am very open to meet new people and talk about something interesting :)

Angelika_V_I_P wrote:

I am very new on this page and do not know what kind of it used to be, but I am very open to meet new people and talk about something interesting :)

Hi Angelika, welcome to EB :)

Well, this blog used to be more active and more colorful.
I'm sure we can bring it back. E-Parties, Digressions, etc. etc.

Ok, I see :) I am not so good with bringing new topics, but pretty good with continuing them. :) Besides, I am always happy to share useful information :)

Angelika_V_I_P wrote:

Ok, I see :) I am not so good with bringing new topics, but pretty good with continuing them. :) Besides, I am always happy to share useful information :)

Why not ?? EB is the perfect place to start things that you've never done before.

You can start a new topic right away by inviting EB members to see your Photo Albums on FB Page :)

Lots of people here are interested in Photography.

Believe you or not, I alredy did it, but admins deleted this topic because they take it like advertisement :)))))

Oops, I'm sorry then. You can always work around. ;)

Like, start a Photography Club.

Again, I'm good at telling others to try new things; but don't take initiatives myself :P

im down for a photo club in riyadh. me and a few people do stuff on a normal basis

ghanshyampdave wrote:

Like, start a Photography Club.

Good Idea! Let us start a Riyadh based Photography Club.

It is a brilliant idea about Photoclub! I would be absolulety happy to join one. It is so important to share ideas, expierence and not just hiding your own shell :)

Hmmm.. May be it's time I learnt a thing or two about Photography too. :|

Happy Clicking !

By the way for everybody who is interested in photography: http://colors.sa/en/Program.aspx

It's a forum and a photo exibition taking place in Riyadh. Tommorow is the last day but maybe somebody would like to go and have a look too. We are going. :)

Angelika_V_I_P wrote:

By the way for everybody who is interested in photography: :lol:http://colors.sa/en/Program.aspx

It's a forum and a photo exibition taking place in Riyadh. Tommorow is the last day but maybe somebody would like to go and have a look too. We are going. :)

This will trouble the admins :lol:

adnanhashmi wrote:
Angelika_V_I_P wrote:

By the way for everybody who is interested in photography: :lol:http://colors.sa/en/Program.aspx

This will trouble the admins :lol:

But She's a VIP :P

I didn't understand the initial topic what was she trying to say about the blog?
Is it not the same as before ?

Hericles wrote:

I didn't understand the initial topic what was she trying to say about the blog?
Is it not the same as before ?

We once had a very active group of great people who, unfortunately, are no longer active on the blog because most of them left Saudia.  That's not to say that it can't be great again, with members getting together and having fun, but people who live on compounds have to step up to the plate and offer a venue for this to happen.

Yeah The expats are the ones who make up this blog interesting or dull so i suppose we don't have expats like this anymore.

Telling that new members are not as good as previous members and they can not do this blog intersting - you do not motivate people to be more active here, back to front - you make them to look for some other blogs, pages and so on. Maybe I am wrong, of course, but this is my opinion. And, sorry if this post offended somebodies feelings - it was not my intention. :)

Angelika_V_I_P wrote:

Telling that new members are not as good as previous members and they can not do this blog intersting - you do not motivate people to be more active here, back to front - you make them to look for some other blogs, pages and so on. Maybe I am wrong, of course, but this is my opinion. And, sorry if this post offended somebodies feelings - it was not my intention. :)

You over-estimate the number of people reading this particular post, I'm sure :lol:

But to answer Fig.Soul's question, I think the difference lies in the 'regulars.'  We have a lot of 'hit and fly' members--they come here for information, get it and then disappear only to reappear months later with another question.

It's the REGULARS who make a forum what it is, who give it personality and warmth.  Many of the regulars have left but that's not to say there can't be new regulars.  Would you like to be one, Angelika? :)

all what i can say, that I always happy to meet new people - if I find this blog interesting and if I find intersting people here - I will be happy to be one of the "regulars". :))
Though, I can not blame people who comes with a question and after fly away. You live in KSA and you know by yourself, that sometimes it is not so easy to find information in this and about this country: some people looking for new connection and some for new information and that's ok. :) By the way, how long you are in Saudi?

Allie could've been a KSA Citizen already she's there for so long and yet she never disappeared after gathering info from the blog that's the user that we need.
Interesting expats make interesting blog.

Hericles wrote:

Allie could've been a KSA Citizen already she's there for so long and yet she never disappeared after gathering info from the blog that's the user that we need.
Interesting expats make interesting blog.

Actually, I did leave for a year and only returned about a year ago.
But thanks for the kind words :)

Hericles, do you hear yourself? "That's the user that we need". That's the answer on the question why this blog is not the same any more? Just because of this arrogance: these users we need and others we do not need, because they are looking for help here or do not spending 24 hours per day here - they are not good enough for us. Well, enoungh for me reading it - I better will go to do something usefull. Wish a nice evening for everybody.:)

:) Social networks concept work in different way @Angelika. Everyone is equally needed and everyone is interesting in his/her own unique way. 24/7 presence, of course, is not important.

Btw, awaiting the photo thread ... :)

Angelika_V_I_P wrote:

Hericles, do you hear yourself? "That's the user that we need". That's the answer on the question why this blog is not the same any more? Just because of this arrogance: these users we need and others we do not need, because they are looking for help here or do not spending 24 hours per day here - they are not good enough for us. Well, enoungh for me reading it - I better will go to do something usefull. Wish a nice evening for everybody.:)

I'm trying to understand your defensive attitude but can't quite get my head around it.  Why not just chill and participate as you wish and stop being offended (taking personally) other people's comments?  They're not directed at *you*, you know--just general comments.

Reading all the exchange of posts i have realized that few misunderstood my post although i clearly mentioned what i meant so i don't need to rephrase i guess :)However i must mention those good old days when most of us were regular on the blog and more dedicated towards the queries.Its not about "Old were good ,new are bad"..For heaven sake :P

I agree offering safer venues is the only way we can meet up. This place(Riyadh) aint for extra smart people and its always good to be careful.