Best and worst moments in foreign country !

My worst moments :
Realizing that  MOST locals don't give a damn about expats.
Being stereotyped
lost my passport

Best moments:

becoming independent
meeting other expats.

How about yours folks?

Best moment when my expired VISA Card start to work again in ATM and i wasnt have any money cuz i didnt know that it expired i find out when im abroad

My worst moment
when i left egypt first time..in every airport they see my passport that im egyptian they stop me for long check (arabs is terrorists stuff) and when i arrived with my gf which she from the country we going to they stop me in the airport too and she ask them why you do that with him they told her cuz he is arab then she said we just come for a few days and (we) will back to egypt again..woman police officer answered we dont care about you we care about him that he back :D

my worst moment?knowing this is my new home and realizing i dont even like it and going back is not much an option either

my worst only miss my parent, my good side i can  be more independent..

My best moments are meeting all my new friends.

My worst moment was finding out there's no Krispy Kreme here, even though someone told me there would be.

I forgot to mention other worst moment:
I lost friendship and socializing opportunities because of stereotypes.

I'm still upset about Krispy Kreme.

Worst: when I saw all the Swedish letters: äöå and words that more than 2 words packed in one ;). People who think that in Poland vodka is served instead of morning coffe. Black clothes and washed out faces with no joy (amount of black clothes in my wardrobe has grown- sde effect).

The funny ones: I was taken for Norwegian plenty of times, thanks to my padded slate grey long jacket with a fur trim and my high cheek bones framed with a blond hair. It happend that some reporters with a microphone posed a question about something typical Norwegian. What a surprise ;)

Very good one: every time when the bus is on time, there is no rain and fantastic Thai restaurant. Actually, every day things in a number of thousands or more that make my life complete and happy :).

Best is watching peoples faces when I say I am from Africa....
Worst moment was going to the Gyne and trying to explain myself to an unknown man ..... naked in broken German....

Miscellaneous wrote:

Best is watching peoples faces when I say I am from Africa....

Why is that?

Worst moment (many years ago, when I was young): getting stoned in Alexandria, Egypt. I mean, literally stoned. My girlfriend and I probably weren't in any danger, but it was scary at the time. I wrote about it in one of my blog-posts last June; if you're interested, you can find it in the Archives under the appropriate title.

Other than that, and a couple of years of harassment by bullying politicians here in Cayman 25 years ago ("Confessions of a Subversive", October) just about every moment of my times in foreign countries over the past hundred years or so have been pleasant. I've been very lucky, on the whole.

meeting my better half...

Is that best or worst?

;)
like most things we know
the difference between good and bad is a very thin line

Best moment was getting out of my country on the way to a new adventure, worst moment was when I returned for a visit and all I could think about was getting back here.

trying out new food
missing the old food

Share your expat experience and get in touch with other members

OR