If you took only one.

If you took only one household item with you when moving to live to Malta, what would it be and why? Hindsight is perfectly valid btw.

in the case of my wife - tweezers...and me my laptop. LOL

for me would be the ipad, its my all in one tool, has photos , movies,internet , music and much more stored on it

The wife

georgeingozo wrote:

The wife

good but very safe answer.....lol

My soft pillow and his very small screwdriver for specs!

Well I have to say that that was one of my dilemmas when i moved to malta, what shall i bring and more importatnt what can i find. After 5 month i can defently say that soo far i have found pretty much everything in malta (it's only a question of how much you'r willing to spend) soo my answer would be laptop ;)

I brought with me pretty much what i thought I would need, bearing in mind we owned a property here for about 6 years before we moved.... BUT !!!!

Expensive items were Knifes and Knife block, Pots and Pans....

One thing that I would recommend ANYONE Bringing... MICROWAVE... £35 in Tesco, €100+ in Malta

Julian

I never want to miss my electric fly swatters :)

laptop, hair dryer ...and my Favorite book!

One thing I thought I had to bring - even bought a nice one on  purpose - a FLAT IRON... And it died.  Well, laptop, iPad are a must for me. And they survived!

My husband would say tools as they are very expensive here and apparently the quality isnt so good.

I would say linens..bedsheets, towels, tablecloths...for the same reasons....price and quality.

hand tools are not expensive in my experience....but the power tools usually are - i tend to look for the offers in Lidl....not top makes but hey the amount of work requiring tools in a rented apartment is minimal...LOL

Please explain the difference between a flat iron and a steam iron and why one would prefer the one to the other.

biddy wrote:

Please explain the difference between a flat iron and a steam iron and why one would prefer the one to the other.

flat iron is for your hair. steam iron is what you iron your clothes with.

Thanks, I've learned something new. What do you call an iron, used for clothes, that is NOT a steam iron? The type I've found in rental apartments.

I always called it just an iron, steam or no steam, but maybe there are some other names for different kinds of irons, but that's just going into too much technicality.

Biddy - I'm with you on this one! I too, had never heard of a 'flat iron'. If I had been sent shopping for one I would have gone to a kitchen/domestic appliance shop looking for something to iron my clothing with..... For hair I would have looked for 'straightening tongs'. What a mixture of cultures we are on the Expat.com::/

I think you got to be a girl with curly frizzy hair that gets worse in humidity to fully appreciate the necessity of this device :) As for the terminology, they call it a flat iron in US, but I heard Maltese hairdressers calling it here the same. Sometimes, British/American English does cause some confusion though. I had a scratch on my hand and was looking for a "rubbing alcohol" in GS store to disinfect it with. After puzzeled store associates were browsing through the shelves for a few minutes, they finally realised what I needed was called here a "syrgical spirit." Would have never guessed!

there are two types  for clothing and bedding etc to my knowledge a simple flat iron with no steam and a steam iron.

IrinaC - I also know it as 'surgical spirits', could have sold you that.  Maybe we should start a thread on Maltese/English/American phrases ;) About the curly hair, I belong to that club, will pack my 'flat iron' ........

rooikat,

At least yours will have the same voltage. My fancy pink iron with silver nano-titanium plates had to go to trash because I couldn't find the right adaptor for it here, and experimenting with several power converters I bought here didn't do any good for it. Same happened to the stereo, with the difference that it just didn't show any sight of life!