Will be moving to Bahrain.

Hello All;

I am glad I have found this forum.  i am active duty Navy and I will be moving to Bahrain next year.  I will be coming with my two girls ages 7 and 9.

I was wondering what will be a good area in which to live.  I would like to have a villa with a pool, and possible maid service.  I will be getting paid around 2900 american dollars a month, extra housing expense.  I am a little nervous bringing my children, with the onset of violence in the middle east but I have heard nothing but good things about bahrain.

I do have a couple of questions:  Being that I am an African American female, in the navy, with 2 daughters will life there be difficult for us? Are there sporting activities for my daughters?  We play tennis, swim and volleyball. 

Thank you and again nice forum, i'm glad i found it.

Hi staceystump and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that other members will soon share their experience with you.;)

Wish you well,
Harmonie.

Hi staceystump and Welcome to the Forum :)

There are many peaceful areas in Bahrain where you can live in, Juffair & Adliya are ideal places for you as you will be very close to the Navy Base. These areas are residential areas very close to the city center and live activities in Bahrain. It would be quite difficult to find a villa for rent in these areas as it has mostly Apartments with or without facilities.

Usually villas areas are off the city center and it would be little bit far from your work place (nothing really that far in Bahrain) in this case areas like Saar, Budaiya, Janabyia would be good for you.

I don't think life in Bahrain for you and your two daughters would be of any difficulty, it will just take you some time to settle in, after that it will be an easy going life; so nothing to worry about.

There are many places where you daughters can do their favorite sporting activities; once you settle in, let us know and will guide you to the nearest places.

For further info about life in Bahrain browse through the forum and have a look at these website for further info Link (1) & Link (2)

Feel free to post any question you may have, would be glad to help :)

Good Luck with your move :)

Thank you for your reply.  I am excited about living there for 2 years. I am in Okinawa, Japan right now.   I love seeing and learning  about  different cultures.   I know living in Bahrain will be interesting. I am going to read the forums and I will post questions if I am still overwhelmed.  :).

Great :top::one and Will be up for help when required :)

I just arrived in Bahrain today and it is my third tour here.  I wouldn't worry about the violence because it is not directed towards expats.  With your OHA you can easily find a villa with a pool and maid service.

Stacy, you & your kids will be just fine.. I've been here for the last 11 years and life is relaxing here..
Are you here yet?
Glad to help you with any necesssary info
All the best,
Lulu

Stacy ; this is great and Will be up for help when required
Bahrain is very good place to live with your family , you will be so satisfied here

Hi Stacystump and welcome to the forum,

All was already said :D
As far as the villa is concerned, think about your kid's school location as well to make sure your choice will be convenient.

Any question, feel free !

Cheers

Olivier

School buses run for about 70BD a term per seat which will really help you out with the career you have chosen. This will take the pressure off you heaps.

On another note, most English/American style schools have limited spaces and long waiting lists. IF this move is totally agreed then I suggest you get their names on the waiting lists ASAP. There is already a post regarding schooling in Bahrain that has a lot of pointers on there for you.

Jo

We will all be here to help you with whatever u need to sort out.

Bahrain is a nice and lovely island ... :)

Hi Stacey,

We had the same reservations as we have a 4 year old (who was 3.5 when we arrived) but we also spoke to a few people who have lived hear and that makes all the difference. So ask all the questions you can and I am sure people here will get back to you.

We live in Budaiya on the west coast of the island and as mentioned in a few posts here, you should be on the other side so its closer to work.

There is a very diverse and large expat community here so I foresee no problems for you or your girls.

Just make the contacts with people and you will get settled in very quickly.

Regards,
Norbert