Moving to KL from India...need help.

Hi,

My hubby is getting an assignemnt in KL for 3-4 years...we are in a state of dilemma whether to accept or not reason being:

1. Have a 4 year old child...goes to an international school of repute in Inida...i dnt knw much abt the schooling over there...have chkd some from the website seems to be too expensive.

2. what benefits shud we ask for a comfortable lifestyle over there.

Someone please help...the biggest issue for me is the education of my child...also after four years when we come back is his former school going to consider him or not.

confused mom :(

Hi coolgirl and welcome to Expat.com!

Your thread has been moved to Kuala Lumpur forum for better visibility.;)

Hope that you'll soon be enlightened.

Harmonie.

thnks for the sweet gesture :)

Still looking for a response? Buzz me, maybe I can help!

@saint_lucifer - Maybe you can share some informations on the forum. It could help other members as well. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Sure...

Well while I do not have these benefits, but I see some expats here having these, especially Korean and Japanese.

You may want to ask for these as they top the expenses list:
1) Accommodation or dearness pay for the same
2) Education for kids at Intl schools
3) Car

If you get these you should be able to live extremely comfortably as rest of the stuff is quite OK.

Hope this is useful.

thnks for sharing dear...but we have given up the idea cos the education at intl schools is much costlier over there...atleast the fees on the internet states tht

Hi fees for a semi decent school are 30k ++ per year (RM) and for good schools much higher (yes primary I found out how much and it's eye wateringly high).

A car is essential and will cost 1,500 pm at least. A couple really needs two realistically so that's 5,500 RM per month spent on two cars and one kid. With petrol and tolls that's 6,000 Rm per month. Add in 2,500 RM per month for accom, 500 Rm for bills (easy these days) and say 2,000 rm on food clothes etc that's 11,000 RM spent already per month before medical and holidays/flights.

And although some Indians live cheaper than westerners (usually single males saving for marriage) most I met with reasonable expectations would find those numbers about right. Most westerners I know spend more than that btw as they like a few drinks. In KL a night out a week can easily burn 2-3k ! Most family people don't spend that though of course but then there are the school fees (and all the extras they keep adding on)

One car is cheaper but public transportation in KL is a disgrace. And taxis are really bad.