Food Shopping

Would you ever use supermarket own brands or
stick to 'named' brands.

I will use supermarket brands but always use heinz soups and baked beens, and birds eye fish fingers/ fish cakes.

I've bought supermarket 'own' brand products both in Canada and in Brazil, they're just great and a lot cheaper.

First of all you must realize that these products are almost always manufactured by very well established brands and sold without their name as a means of stretching their market or tapping into a lower economic segment of the market. They are exactly the same quality and this proves that sometimes brand loyalty can cost money needlessly.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

true william

I use both, supermarket brands in many cases are the same if not better than name branded products. However in some things like soups and sauces, I choose to purchase the branded varieties.

Hi there :)
I actually buy raw food and avoid processed one. I just like coocing from scratch and feel that having a nice piece of fish or meat, some veg and beautiful composition of herbs and spices always works all together.
I buy meet at the butcher's, veg in one little Turkish shop, spices, herbs, rice, beans and pickles in an Indian shop, certain sorts of rice or spices - Asian shop,  bulks (rice, pasta) - discount market. Only diary comes from a regular grocery.
There are couple of my 'holy brands' - if I buy ketchup it must be Heinz, if mayo - then Hellmans. 
I do not belong to some kind of food religion ;) but my stomach can't stand any kind of processed food and sweets.

Live your expat project without any stress thanks to advice from expats

OR