Is it difficult to live in Riyadh as a woman with kids without husband

I'm thinking of moving to Riyadh with my children while my husband works in the Eastern Province. Would it be a bad idea for a woman to be alone with her kids? Is it safe there? Could I get about easily?.if anyone could give me insight I'd be grateful. Also I'd like to know about housing prices,for a three bedroom place. Thanks in advance,please someone reply soon!

Nayah

If you have young children pre school you won't be any better off here in Riyadh compound housing is difficult to come by most have waiting lists. Getting about without your husband would involve taxis unless you were on a compound where they have cars to hire or bus transport to the Malls. Cost of housing anything up to 30000 SAR per month on a compound.

Thanks for the reply Martin
The thing is I don't want to live on a compound I'd prefer to live in a villa or apartment in a Saudi neighborhood,as this is how it's been for me over here in Jubail,besides a compound would be too expensive. Jubail is small but I've managed to get about and do things via taxi when hubby is too busy,plus it's very safe here. I don't really know if Riyadh is as safe and if its ok with women getting about on their own,I'm a little nervous about making such a move without him but I believe it'll be better for the the children and I as Jubail as much as I love it is very limited in what you can do and education. I'm trying to get as much info as possible before I take this step. Thanks once again!.

It is a bit conservative but It is pretty safe !! Though moving around in the city would be a great concern, unles you have some reliable Taxi contact number, which you will eventually have as and when you come here. :)

@ Martin - It is a bit difficult to grab an acommodation on a  compound at that price !!

Martin Fin wrote:

Nayah

If you have young children pre school you won't be any better off here in Riyadh compound housing is difficult to come by most have waiting lists. Getting about without your husband would involve taxis unless you were on a compound where they have cars to hire or bus transport to the Malls. Cost of housing anything up to 30000 SAR per month on a compound.

30,000 SAR per month?!?!

and @ Saimans; you state it is difficult to get an accomodation at that price, crikey!!! That's like £5000 per month on compound, which could get you a neat gaf in Belgravia (Central London)!

nayah wrote:

Thanks for the reply Martin
The thing is I don't want to live on a compound I'd prefer to live in a villa or apartment in a Saudi neighborhood,as this is how it's been for me over here in Jubail,besides a compound would be too expensive. Jubail is small but I've managed to get about and do things via taxi when hubby is too busy,plus it's very safe here. I don't really know if Riyadh is as safe and if its ok with women getting about on their own,I'm a little nervous about making such a move without him but I believe it'll be better for the the children and I as Jubail as much as I love it is very limited in what you can do and education. I'm trying to get as much info as possible before I take this step. Thanks once again!.

you will be surprised to see once you come to Riyadh. Its an awesome metro city with best infrastructure. Regarding the safety, its very safe however you must take care such as to get numbers for 1-2 taxi drivers who seems nice and go only with them. Though you will find fares a bit on the higher side inJubail.
Overall you will enjoy it, rigth from appartment to compound you can get anything here. Have you finalzied your accomodation?

londoner1 wrote:
Martin Fin wrote:

Nayah

30,000 SAR per month?!?!

and @ Saimans; you state it is difficult to get an accomodation at that price, crikey!!! That's like £5000 per month on compound, which could get you a neat gaf in Belgravia (Central London)!

I am certain he though 30,000 per anum :)

londoner1 wrote:

@ Saimans; you state it is difficult to get an accomodation at that price, crikey!!! That's like £5000 per month on compound, which could get you a neat gaf in Belgravia (Central London)!

Oooops I Read it Wrong, Assumed it to be 30K/Annum !! :)

saimans wrote:
londoner1 wrote:

@ Saimans; you state it is difficult to get an accomodation at that price, crikey!!! That's like £5000 per month on compound, which could get you a neat gaf in Belgravia (Central London)!

Oooops I Read it Wrong, Assumed it to be 30K/Annum !! :)

hahaha, but now whats your reaction on 30K/Month

pkmusd wrote:

At 30K/Month, you can get 2-3 villas at the best of the compounds !! ;)

saimans wrote:
pkmusd wrote:

At 30K/Month, you can get 2-3 villas at the best of the compounds !! ;)

hahaha, you can rent 1 even :))

don't move and left your husbend.

bieng togather is important for you and your kids. don't divide the family.

Riyad is not bad but also not nice as Jubail. in my opinion, no taxi driver can be trusted here. are you coming here to work or what? can't find a job there and stays next to your hasbaned.

weather here is very hot & dry somtimes dusty.

I can tell you many things but I don't want to mak it long for you.

wish you the best

Lion R.E wrote:

don't move and left your husbend.

bieng togather is important for you and your kids. don't divide the family.

Riyad is not bad but also not nice as Jubail. in my opinion, no taxi driver can be trusted here. are you coming here to work or what? can't find a job there and stays next to your hasbaned.

weather here is very hot & dry somtimes dusty.

I can tell you many things but I don't want to mak it long for you.

wish you the best

I agere weather here is very hot but you will find riyadh a well developed city than Jubail.

With regards to with or without husband, in Saudi its preferred to stay with your husband or you stay in a compound.

If you decide to stay in a villa with just your kids and some local follows you (they usualy follow a alone woman - non saudis)then it might gets diff for you though chances are not very high but not very low too. So i would suggest may be a small ordinary compound (with no facilities may be - I know there are) with a proper boundary so that you feel safe always.

Taxi drviers here you can trust once you go twice / thrice with them, I will get you one don't worry and you can try him and decide whether he is good to go with you or not.

Regards

pkmusd wrote:

Taxi drviers here you can trust once you go twice / thrice with them, I will get you one don't worry and you can try him and decide whether he is good to go with you or not.

PKMUSD are you the gurdian of taxi drivers?

Lion R.E wrote:
pkmusd wrote:

PKMUSD are you the gurdian of taxi drivers?

Nopes, i'm just trying to give her the true picture that here 80% of the women use taxis which proves they trust taxis, however to be careful you need to have 2-3 trusted taxi drivers whom you can call any time.

Pls dont give statements out of no where.