Outlying neighborhoods of Montpellier

Hello All,

Could someone please tell me the names of some towns outside of Montepellier that are accessable by train/bus/rail?

We are investigating Montpellier to reside for one year - Yes, My husband is employed and his office has approved our choices of Montpellier, Toulouse or Valencia Spain. Spain seems a bit questionable at the moment.

We would have a set budget and would only have about $4000 US for housing/electric/heat/water/cable/taxes. (food and schooling obviously not included)

Is is possible?

A blogger suggested we search in the areas surrounding Montpellier but I don't see many option where we can get around without the need of owning a car full time.

We have 2 school aged children who would attend an English speaking school for out 12 months there.

Thank you in advance:)

hi MaMa,

1)- Stay in France instead Spain for the moment

2) _ Buy a new car in France for 1 Year. You have children this is cheaper that renting a car. You will have it at the airport and give back when you live . You will pay a rental every month. Renault, peugeot or citroen. Ask the compagnies you have right because your are not from Europe.You will have red plates on the car and the insurance included.

3)- Toulouse is a big city with all accomodations , schools and more easy to find a place to live in the surrounding with transportation  depending where you will have to work.

4)- Montpelier smaler than Toulouse is close to the see but you may have more difficulty  to travel between the city and the surrounding. But it will be up to you. Always depending where you will have to work.
Le Crau du Roi is close to Montpelier and a small village on the beach not far from Montpelier. No train but buses.

5)- It depend what you are looking for but please buy a new car for one year this is necessary with children. I will recommand you Toulouse.

Goog luck and welcome comming in France.

Marc Beerli

Thank you

Hello

Montpellier has a tram line now that goes to a number of the villages in the agglomeration:
St Jean de Vedas
Lattes
Clapiers
Juvignac
Castelnau le Lez

There are also buses that serve Montferrier sur Lez (very nice and popular with expats, Prades le Lez, etc. The international school is at Vendargues to the east of Montpellier.

In general the north of Montpellier is 'nicer' than the south - bigger houses, wealthier residents etc. You can get by with $4000 per month. When you rent, you are expected to pay no more than a third of your salary in rental, this means renting a house for about €1000.

I know nothing about Toulouse, but live just outside Montpellier.
I hope this helps.