Road Rules: Believe it or not, there are some rules in VietNam

A couple of weeks ago I was pulled over by the CGST in the early hours for having lights that were too bright. I have two 60-LED high-intensity illuminators I use when driving in the countryside.

They offered me the choice of attending a driver refresher course - a new project in DakLak Province where many people have no money for fines - or to pay a fine. I opted for the course.

They gave us all the Drivers Manual, which I had translated  into English.

Some interesting notes:

- Bicycle drivers can carry only one passenger, unless carrying this passenger along with a child under 7-years of age;
- Bus drivers must not transport dangerous or smelly goods or animals, or other products that will affect the health of the passengers on the bus;
- Do not do the following: carry dry rice, straw, agricultural products or other materials on the road; put advertising boards on the roads; let animals wander on the road; hold a market or trade goods on the road; or organise illegal gatherings on the road;
- Do not take animals onto lanes designated for motorised vehicles;
- Drivers of mopeds, motorcycles or motorised three-wheelers must not: ride abreast of each other; ride on pedestrian areas and other vehicles; use umbrellas, mobile phones and audio devices (except for hearing aids); wear or carry bulky objects; or hold, pull or push other vehicles;
- Pedestrians must walk on the pavement or roadsides, in cases where there are none, pedestrians should walk close to the edge of the road;
- Sound horns, cause extensive noise continuously, honking in the period from 22.00H through 05.00H, use of air horns, use of spotlights in urban and residential areas, except emergency vehicles under the regulations of this law, are all illegal;
- Transport and bus drivers must not carry passengers on the roof, in the luggage compartment or let passengers hang outside the vehicle;
- Vehicles that transport dangerous goods must not stop or park in crowded or endangered places;
- When accidents occur protect the victim's assets.

Remember, every one of these are opportunities for CGST to collect bribes!

How many did you break today?

Jaitch,

one of these days they'll have a new law just for you "no filming from the helmet, you may catch a CGST collecting bribes"

This one reminds me of an article I saw the other day : Bus drivers must not transport dangerous or smelly goods or animals, or other products that will affect the health of the passengers on the bus;

Did you hear about the bus from Hue to DaNang where suddenly dozens of Kraits started to crawl out of a bag?

Hope you had fun at the course!

snake77 wrote:

one of these days they'll have a new law just for you "no filming from the helmet, you may catch a CGST collecting bribes"

They are using video recorders now, with GPS and time markers recorded.

snake77 wrote:

Did you hear about the bus from Hue to Da Nang where suddenly dozens of Kraits started to crawl out of a bag?

Nothing surprises me with VN buses, any more, I had a sheep as foot rest once.

snake77 wrote:

Hope you had fun at the course!

Caught up with my sleep.

Is that an extract of the rules or the whole on traffic regulation?

I'm not trying to advertise for anyone but there is a place you can get the full translated copy of the driving laws in Vietnam. I have seen it advertised in Word magazine and on a website also. The name of the place is Saigon Scooter Center. I am not sure what the price is, if any. I have been meaning to go by and get one myself but always forget. They do have a website too.

-Chris

l3ully wrote:

Is that an extract of the rules or the whole on traffic regulation?

No - around 55-60 pages.

Has the long list of the questions they ask, too.

Jayhawk wrote:

I'm not trying to advertise for anyone but there is a place you can get the full translated copy of the driving laws in Vietnam. ... I am not sure what the price is, if any. ...

$20 + shipping is their price.

Our version has all the text and pix (dual language version is optional) and French in the works. Even better, it will be a FREE download in (PDF)(DOC)(HTML) - when the site section has been completed. Also available for Android.

Also on the same web site an interactive driving test section with answers in English and Viet - so you can select the right answers and what it is like in VNese.

The sponsor is completing the commercial web parts now. Delays caused because Flash is out and because decided at last minute to have a smartphone and seven inch pad versions.

Great stuff, now while your lying on your back with a crowd round you, you'll be able to quote all the relevant sub-sections.

Frankly I drive a snow plough and I always have a documentary film crew, along with a prominent member of the judiciary (legal translator), with me.

Hey! Works for me!

Beat that!

Can I get a copy, please?

Tried studying a Vietnamese language handbook I bought Farquasa and I spend all my time learning words and not how to drive.

I am using an Android.

Thanks.

WorzelGummidge wrote:

Tried studying a Vietnamese language handbook I bought Farquasa and I spend all my time learning words and not how to drive.

I am using an Android.

Thanks.

DITTO - As far as the VN road rules go anyway.
As soon as you're ready to put them on your web site let us know please Jaitch. :)
Motorbikes - I've been riding since 15 years old, that's easy. :D  But as far as the Vietnamese language goes, STILL trying to get the basics correct. :rolleyes::(

WorzelGummidge wrote:

I am using an Android.

I will send you a link to download a beta on to your Android. Note: Is 30 day time limited and has a built-in Error reporter so you can return reports to us. No other communications other than that can occur. Totally private.

Now you can do a Halfwit and lie on the floor as he suggested.

After 30 days you can get the full monte - free.

Hey can you send me the link the VN Road rules.

Many Thanks.

Yes, it's on my Android, in English and Vietnamese, so you can argue the toss with the CGST.

At the moment part way through the translation of the 'Road Act' which governs administration, construction and standards. This has the height for signs which I used to recover some fines.

We are re-writing the scripts so it will fit on pads of various dimensions. Android first and then HTML 5 web pages. We have about 17 copies out for Beta testing.

Hi Jaitch, I'm interested, especially if it's bilingual (good way to improve vietnamese)

Will you put it on Google Play? Free or not?

Our initial Beta versions had strictly interpreted Vietnamese which, unexpectedly, produced some archaic English. We (at least I) are slowly 'rounding' the language to a more colloquial version.

After that it will be translated back into VNese to check accuracy of 'interpretation'.

The present thinking is to keep it in HTML5 web version. Android apps are a possibility, but never, ever iOS because of the walled garden. My version comfortably runs on a Samsung and it really screams 'app' as a format.

Due to screen limitations, with an acknowledgement of the ageing readership and diminished visual acuity, the two languages are shown on different pages, but flicking from one to the other is optimised. It is eminently possible to talk to a CGST about an infraction.

We also have background/foreground colour combo choices for colour blind challenged readers.

The search functions in both languages are complete.

Being translated concurrently is what s best described as the 'Road Traffic Act' (as opposed to the 'Highway Driving Act') because so much is omitted (in VNese) that cross-referencing becomes essential.

All this takes time, and a little money. A limited market survey produced results that said we should charge. My personal preference is for a free, basic version, and a higher definition version directed at certain specific VN markets.

In any event, it remains in Beta and encrypted for at least six more months.

I am a tester. The company classed me a "less sophicticated" user, thank you very much, which means I just use things but not experiment.

The English has improved, and makes easier for reading. My version sits right on my Nexus 1 handset. Doesn't bang up my data bill - I do OK on the score on my own.

Viet friends have looked at t and they say very good.

Since a long time I intended to do such an app for my own use (or just a webpage) but still didn't have the time to do the researches and to overcome my technical limitations :D

So your app would be greatly welcome in my Adroid device...

Any word on the web version for us folks with crap phones? Or is that included in the 6 month wait?

Hey Jaitch,
Any chance of me getting a copy of the English road rules from you?

Why do motorbikes traveling in the far right lane make a left hand turn AT THE STREET they are turning onto? Same applies to being in the far left lane then making a right hand turn AT THE STREET they are turning onto. It really snares things up. Traffic in the left lanes slows because the motorbike will turn in front of them at ANY moment. Hence traffic behind the motorbike is backed up trying to get around the person.

Would it not be logical and make more sense to get INTO the left lane BEFORE you get to the street you are turning onto. Please don't use the excuse that it is a cultural issue.

Solo1, you ask  much :P

Geoff Jones wrote:

Hey Jaitch,

@Geoff Jones Jaitch hasn't posted anything in almost 9 months

l3ully wrote:

Solo1, you ask  much :P

I know I know silly me!!! But I REALLY would like to hear some actual responses to this issue. I know it will serve no purpose but it gives me a chance to be judgmental!!

Budman1 wrote:
Geoff Jones wrote:

Hey Jaitch,

@Geoff Jones Jaitch hasn't posted anything in almost 9 months

Yep and I gonna miss it like a pain in the as. .

Solo1 wrote:

Why do motorbikes traveling in the far right lane make a left hand turn AT THE STREET they are turning onto?

When I first started driving in Vietnam I tried to do just that. I would stop at the place I wanted to turn (right turn) in the far left lane, near the dividing line in the middle, and wait for an opening so i could make my turn. It didn't take many buses and trucks coming through with horns blaring for me to see the error of my ways.

It is much safer to start your left turn early as traffic allows then to stop in the middle of the road

VungTauDon wrote:
Solo1 wrote:

Why do motorbikes traveling in the far right lane make a left hand turn AT THE STREET they are turning onto?

When I first started driving in Vietnam I tried to do just that. I would stop at the place I wanted to turn (right turn) in the far left lane, near the dividing line in the middle, and wait for an opening so i could make my turn. It didn't take many buses and trucks coming through with horns blaring for me to see the error of my ways.

It is much safer to start your left turn early as traffic allows then to stop in the middle of the road

Ok so you are one of the lone expats that have figured it out. Now how about hearing from the 10 million daily VN that refuse to see it our way???

Before making a turn you should switch on the signal light, look at the mirror, switch lanes gradually then turn slowly but steadily. Don't stop at the far left or far right lane waiting for an open, that'd almost never happen here. Also please don't cross all of a sudden or speed up while making a turn, that is really dangerous for you and others in traffic.

The other day I was driving with my mom near the West lake. We signaled to turn left from a distance away and was already near the central reservation (like 70cm
away) when a foreign guy on a scooter suddenly emerged from the left and nearly knocked us off. Really that was stupid because he knew nothing of the passing (and priority) rules, and he also turned left at the very same place but didn't bother to lower the speed. In that case he could have just waited for us to complete the turn or pass us to the right. If I hadn't squeeze the brake in time it'd have been a full side collision. Yet he still continued at his speed with no look back lol

I was taken aback by that, otherwise would have screamed to him f*king idiot. I just hope he'll realize his mistakes and read the traffic laws some day. There are real people real lives on the traffic so hope he (and the likes of him) will take it seriously whenever they are on it. It's true that many Vietnamese people break rules (and it costs many of them dearly) but pls don't blindly copy them...
/rant

kaylee11 wrote:

Before making a turn you should switch on the signal light, look at the mirror, switch lanes gradually then turn slowly but steadily. Don't stop at the far left or far right lane waiting for an open, that'd almost never happen here. Also please don't cross all of a sudden or speed up while making a turn, that is really dangerous for you and others in traffic.

The other day I was driving with my mom near the West lake. We signaled to turn left from a distance away and was already near the central reservation (like 70cm
away) when a foreign guy on a scooter suddenly emerged from the left and nearly knocked us off. Really that was stupid because he knew nothing of the passing (and priority) rules, and he also turned left at the very same place but didn't bother to lower the speed. In that case he could have just waited for us to complete the turn or pass us to the right. If I hadn't squeeze the brake in time it'd have been a full side collision. Yet he still continued at his speed with no look back lol

I was taken aback by that, otherwise would have screamed to him f*king idiot. I just hope he'll realize his mistakes and read the traffic laws some day. There are real people real lives on the traffic so hope he (and the likes of him) will take it seriously whenever they are on it. It's true that many Vietnamese people break rules (and it costs many of them dearly) but pls don't blindly copy them...
/rant

Thank you for sharing the rules of engagement for the proper turning scenario. However that is my point exactly and VN DO NOT FOLLOW that basic principle. I see it everyday all day at practically every intersection. So back to my query of why why why?

My apologies for the numb nuts that was rude to you.

Most Vietnamese drivers not only don't know the basic driving rules  but they also don't have a basic understanding of "right of way" or passing and priority rules as Kaylee calls it.
My wife is taking driving lessons now to get her automobile license and every time she returns home she talks about the "new" rules or traffic laws she learned.

I will say this, if everyone followed the traffic laws in Vietnam the traffic would be 100 times worse. I think the people who make the illegal turns and various minor infractions actually works like a pressure relief valve. If every motorbike drive came to a complete halt at every red light and everyone formed up like good drivers the traffic would be much worse.

The real rules in VN is: you must to do follow the most of people do. For example: when you get the traffic jam, if you follow the traffic law, you can not move, lol.

I agree with VingTauDon

My wife is taking driving lessons now to get her automobile license and every time she returns home she talks about the "new" rules or traffic laws she learned.

It seems to me to be a complete lack of awareness of basic traffic rules and safe driving. Coupled with the mix of different drivers, from Grannies to young bucks with the "I'm bullet proof" personalities, to teenagers who just suddenly decide to turn in front of you, makes for exciting riding.

Someone said early on in this post, they drive by being aware of the others body language, which about says it all. I ride like that in Australia and even more so in Vietnam.

VungTauDon wrote:

Most Vietnamese drivers not only don't know the basic driving rules  but they also don't have a basic understanding of "right of way" or passing and priority rules as Kaylee calls it.

I will say this, if everyone followed the traffic laws in Vietnam the traffic would be 100 times worse. I think the people who make the illegal turns and various minor infractions actually works like a pressure relief valve. If every motorbike drive came to a complete halt at every red light and everyone formed up like good drivers the traffic would be much worse.

"I will say this, if everyone followed the traffic laws in Vietnam the traffic would be 100 times worse. I think the people who make the illegal turns and various minor infractions actually works like a pressure relief valve."

- A very interesting thesis. I bet the bus and truck drivers think the same. The drive the same as when they are on their bikes.

Traffic is now that bad in Vietnam, that it equals a Russian Roulette to go from A to B and it will require drastic measures over long periods, to make it more safe.

thats it cytsim, watch the tyres  not the indicator. I like the toot toot, here i am, can i come in ? attitude

VungTauDon wrote:

I agree and point number 1. Vietanmese drivers do not know basic driving rules. Point number 2. Vietnamese don't have a basic understanding of "right of way".

I'm not sure about 100 times worse point but I understand what you are saying. I too enjoy not stoping at red lights and other minor infractions.

jimbream wrote:

Just my 2 cents worth on this topic.
If what you do is safe but doesn't follow the letter of the law,
do it.I've yet to see anyone NOT in violation of one driving law or another.
As for the fella who had an incident with the foreigner in HN,I sympathize with you. As soon as a new expat or tourist gets their hands on a motorcycle,it seems they run around like it's the Isle of Man TT.
them after a couple of years people come to realize that the ground looks mighty hard and the motorbikes around them are harder and sharper still.

I agree with do what you want as long as it is safe. However I still must go back to my original post. Making a left hand turn from the far right lane is dangerous (or right turn from the left). It also slows traffic in BOTH LANES which is the one they are turning from because people are trying to get around the bloke AND the lane he is crossing in FRONT OF to make his turn because as we have all seen he could turn at any moment.

Solo1 wrote:

Would it not be logical and make more sense to get INTO the left lane BEFORE you get to the street you are turning onto. Please don't use the excuse that it is a cultural issue.

Yes, for everywhere in the world except Vietnam, it is totally logical. However, the traffic police here don't see it that way, which is why you see this happening. It's my understanding that it's illegal for motorbikes to drive in the left lanes, and illegal for cars to drive in the right lanes. (Simply put - I'm sure there are exceptions). So given that most Vietnamese know this, and are scared of the traffic police, the motorbike drivers stay over in the right lane to make a left turn until the last possible second. Same for the car, truck and bus drivers turning right from the left lanes. This is why you may notice traffic jams at every intersection occupied by police. The drivers are so scared of getting pulled over, everyone just freezes, and traffic slows to a crawl.

My driver has been pulled over and fined by traffic police for this very issue. He was going to make a right turn and moved over to the right lane too "early" to execute his turn. This is perfectly acceptable and the preferred way to do in most every civilized country in the world. Just not Vietnam.

Yes, totally agree Saigonmonkey

traffic police here don't see it that way, which is why you see this happening. It's my understanding that it's illegal for motorbikes to drive in the left lanes, and illegal for cars to drive in the right lanes. (Simply put - I'm sure there are exceptions). So given that most Vietnamese know this, and are scared of the traffic police, the motorbike drivers stay over in the right lane to make a left turn until the last possible second. Same for the car, truck and bus drivers turning right from the left lanes. This is why you may notice traffic jams at every intersection occupied by police. The drivers are so scared of getting pulled over, everyone just freezes, and traffic slows to a crawl.

I think this is the biggest reason for late turns in the far lane... scared of the Police and possible fine!!

saigonmonkey wrote:
Solo1 wrote:

Yes, for everywhere in the world except Vietnam, it is totally logical. However, the traffic police here don't see it that way, which is why you see this happening. It's my understanding that it's illegal for motorbikes to drive in the left lanes, and illegal for cars to drive in the right lanes. (Simply put - I'm sure there are exceptions). So given that most Vietnamese know this, and are scared of the traffic police, the motorbike drivers stay over in the right lane to make a left turn until the last possible second. Same for the car, truck and bus drivers turning right from the left lanes. This is why you may notice traffic jams at every intersection occupied by police. The drivers are so scared of getting pulled over, everyone just freezes, and traffic slows to a crawl.

My driver has been pulled over and fined by traffic police for this very issue. He was going to make a right turn and moved over to the right lane too "early" to execute his turn. This is perfectly acceptable and the preferred way to do in most every civilized country in the world. Just not Vietnam.

Alas, a reason of plausibility. Here I was ready to accept cultural habit eroding past ignorance to stupidity.