Swimming in the deep end

Hello to all of you,

I am somewhat getting ahead of myself by claiming to be an expat in Hungary as my flight is only in two days from now.
I am a French-American who's been living in western France for nearly 15 years and I am moving to Gyula (near Békéscaba)- Hungary for the next 5 months as part of an internship of mine. I was at first hoping to get an internship in the US but things don't always go as planned, I then enlarged my scope to the rest of Europe and ended up in eastern Hungary. I'm delighted to get to discover a new culture and all, but quite frankly I'm starting to wonder if the region I'll be in won't be a bit too far away from Budapest.

What I am worried about is finding young people that I'll be able to communicate and hang out with that aren't colleagues as well.
So please, young or older, please feel free to get in touch if you're in the area and would like to speak English or French (I can pull off a little German as well if interested, but I won't be quoting any Shakespeare or Goethe…)!

I'm looking forward to get to know the international-Hungarian-community! :)

All-X

Hello All-X.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Aurélie

You could try joining CouchSurfing and look up English speaking members in your area of Hungary. They sometimes organise gatherings and other events.